• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Are Americans Dominating the Tour De France?

freeheelwilly

JimG. said:
You yourself said it will probably test positive but I'm assuming you think it's because the testing agencies are anti-American and that Landis is clean.
That's not it at all. I have no idea whether he was "clean" but if I was a betting man, with the "A" already dirty - I'd bet not.

BTW, cycling has a more VISABLE doping problem because of how serious they take it and how stringently and frequently they test. One positive test in cycling -2 year suspension. Second positive it's either 8 years or a lifetime ban (functional equivalence there anyway).

What is it in the NFL? One failed test = a 2 game suspension. Two fails and you get a few more games. Lifetime bans are unheard of. Same with baseball who actively encouraged the shit until recently.

Look at the Landis deal: His "A" is dirty and he's suspended by his team!

I feel bad for Floyd - not because I think he's falsely accused but because I think he probably isn't. But he's sure gonna get the benefit of all my doubts. Why not yours? The guy's been squeaky clean up to this point in his career with never a hint of wrongdoing. He's also a very nice guy. Both of those circumstances distinguish him from Barry Bonds who's an ass and who has always operated in a cloud of suspicion within a sport that didn't take doping seriously.

Last edited:

skibum1321

freeheelwilly said:
I feel bad for Floyd - not because I think he's falsely accused but because I think he probably isn't. But he's sure gonna get the benefit of all my doubts. Why not yours? The guy's been squeaky clean up to this point in his career with never a hint of wrongdoing. He's also a very nice guy. Both of those circumstances distinguish him from Barry Bonds who's an ass and who has always operated in a cloud of suspicion within a sport that didn't take doping seriously.
How do you know that Floyd has been squeaky clean? He just has never tested positive for it before. That could mean that he was taking stuff that was not tested for or he found another way around it. Just saying...

I never said that cycling was worse than other sports in terms of doping, but you have to admit that there are a good number of cyclists that have been caught. Sure, they may have stringent drug testing policies, but you still have to take the drugs to fail the test.

I wasn't reporting anything that hasn't been all over the news anyway. And I assume that it is very rare that the A tests positive but the B doesn't.

P.S. Is it even possible for you to argue a point without taking personal shots at people?

JimG.

Staff member
freeheelwilly said:
That's not it at all. I have no idea whether he was "clean" but if I was a betting man, with the "A" already dirty - I'd bet not.

BTW, cycling has a more VISABLE doping problem because of how serious they take it and how stringently and frequently they test. One positive test in cycling -2 year suspension. Second positive it's either 8 years or a lifetime ban (functional equivalence there anyway).

What is it in the NFL? One failed test = a 2 game suspension. Two fails and you get a few more games. Lifetime bans are unheard of. Same with baseball who actively encouraged the shit until recently.

Look at the Landis deal: His "A" is dirty and he's suspended by his team!

I feel bad for Floyd - not because I think he's falsely accused but because I think he probably isn't. But he's sure gonna get the benefits of all my doubts. Why not yours? The guy's been squeaky clean up to this point in his career with never a hint of wrongdoing. He's also a very nice guy. Both of those circumstances distinguish him from Barry Bonds who's an ass and who has always operated in a cloud of suspicion within a sport that didn't take doping seriously.

You know the sport alot better than me...I don't have enough knowledge to be able to give the benefit of the doubt. As a casual observer, it seems alot of riders are doping.

I agree the sport uses Olympic standards to test for drugs unlike American sports where the "your not guilty unless you get caught" standard applies. That is a good thing and I applaud them for it. Yet even though the riders know this, quite a few of them seem to turn up dirty. The fiasco at the start of this tour only seems to reinforce the dirty image.

I'd be willing to bet there's no greater percentage of cheaters in cycling than any American sport and probably much less of one due to the stringent testing standard. But the specter of steroids seems to dominate every important race. Maybe it's poor marketing. But that's the image the casual, relatively uninformed observer like me sees.

And that explains why folks like me assume he's doping. You're right, it's probably unfair. And because I'm a casual observer, I'm not aware of Landis' clean past. I didn't even know his name until about a week ago. There are alot of folks like me too. And it doesn't help when the media makes it sound like even his Mom is suspicious.

bruno

i feel now that i need to come clean. last night, had i been tested, i would have been positive for IPA. and tonight that will be the case as well. IPA is my post-ride recovery regimen. ok, i feel better now. i just didn't want you guys to hear it from someone else.

thanks.:flag: :beer:

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
bruno said:
i feel now that i need to come clean. last night, had i been tested, i would have been positive for IPA. and tonight that will be the case as well. IPA is my post-ride recovery regimen. ok, i feel better now. i just didn't want you huys to hear it from someone else.

thanks.:flag: :beer:

I knew it! I efin knew it! You bastid, bringing shame to this forum!:-x

bruno

landis drank too much and that explains it. tyler hamilton had a feckin "dead twin fetus" and swore on his dog's soul that he was clean, justin gatlin had his legs massaged by an enemy and they rubbed illegal stuff into his muscles. these are all plausible explanations. why do people doubt? buncha haters. . .:beer: :razz: :dunce: :idea: :-o :argue: :p