• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking Boots/Shoes - Recommendations?

Jonni

Now that I'm beginning to hike more often an go on longer more difficult hikes I'm beginning to look into getting some proper hiking shoes or boots. I haven't really done all that much research yet for them but I do know that once you have them it's best to break them in on shorter easier hikes or with just general walking. My question for you all is what would you recommend for a hiking boot or shoe? This would be a shoe that is good for full day hikes and possibly some weekend backpacking treks. What is the best way to break them in? Any other feedback would be welcome and helpful.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Honestly, going to sound like a cop out, but go to a good shop (EMS, LL Bean Main Store, REI, etc) and try on as MANY boots as you can. The one that is the best fit is the one to get. That said, I have Asolo 520's and love them. Full Grain Leather is more expensive, but more durable and more supportive. They require the most maintenance. Split grain models and Nubuk are cheaper and don't require as much work, but Nubuk does require some treatment and is durable, but not quite as durable or long lasting as FG Leather. Fabric/suede is downright cheap and won't last as long. I would advise high tops if you intend to do winter hiking, more BC stuff, and backpacking. I use high tops on my day trips because of support and protection.

As for price range, I see high top boots going from about $60 (Suede/Cheapo) to $120 (Nubuk or Split Grain with proprietory weather proofing) to about $200 for FG Leather Gore Tex boots. My model is FG Leather and has Gore Tex and they have held well...but I maintain them. Now I know that SOME leather boots DON'T have Gore Tex and if maintained they stay dry.

Lots of info...best advice is to go to a shop, try some on (in the afternoon), kick some tires, and write down the makes and brands and throw that info to us in here. :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
In terms of brands and reputation, here goes:

EMS/LL Bean High End Models: fit almost as well and perform as well as many name brands. They have Vibram soles and actually are even designed by the same people, but might have different trim. Reasonably priced. Good to consider if they fit you. Ms. Trailboss had weird feet and ONLY EMS boots fit her.

Asolo: very good quality. I have had good luck and great service. They stand behind their stuff....distributor is in Hanover, NH. I don't hesitate to recommend them. May be a bit $$$, but that is what EMS' 20% sales are for. :wink:

Vasque: Sundowner is a popular and reliable model I hear. I had bad experience with a pair of low cut dayhikers....went through THREE pairs in under two years...of STREET WALKING. I will give them credit...on the last pair, they did take them back no questions asked...but it was a pain in the a$$.

Merrill: very comfy out of the box, but not durable. Pricy for what you get....some models are going for the discount chain.

Limmers: VERY posh and expensive. Handmade in NH. One benefit is that they are re-soleable, so you get a pair and keep them for life. Long wait to get them though.

cbcbd

There's no one best shoe or boot for everyone.
My advice would be to visit an outdoor outfitter and try on some boots and shoes and see what fits best.

As for "breaking them in", the best way is just to wear them around.
But as for what "breaking in" really means:
Your foot has a shape... and your foot's shape will put pressure on the boot at the places where it needs more room (extreme case of this is a bunion). This reshaping of the boot by your feet is "breaking in". Some boots can be impossible to break into because you can't put enough pressure on those areas with just your feet and general use (for these you need a mechanical advantage), other boots will break in easier. Boot fitters have a bar that can be used to help break in the boot by working at spots on a boot where your feet might rub.
It is good to go in knowing if you have any specific foot features that could rub the boot the wrong way - and let the bootfitter know that.

But... I can't go away without recommending something. For an overall boot I am a fan of the Montrail Torre GTX and the Vasque Breeze XCR
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...older_id=2534374302875386&bmUID=1153849976400
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...older_id=2534374302875399&bmUID=1153850061959

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Most soft boots don't require any breakin period. You can hike with them right out of the box. Full leather boots usually require some breakin (of both the boots and your feed) but for day hiking, even long dayhikes, I'd go with lighter.

But the advice listed above is correct, the best boots are the ones that fit you. I can't wear certain brands because they just don't fit my feet. The fact that they make high quality boots doesn't do me any good. So try them on, take your time, spend a hour at least trying on boots and walking around the store.

-dave-

Jonni

Cool guys, thanks for all the helpful information! I'll probably hit up LL Bean in West Leb or EMS (as they're both in the Powerhouse) and see what I can find.