• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tele Skiing In All Of Its Glory

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
I had never been tele skiing before this season. A good ski pal of mine switched to the free heel a few seasons ago - and he was the Carthartt skier of the group so it just made sense for us to say "Free Your Heels... And Your Mind Will Follow" as a tribute to his exploratory advances.

In my latest blog I tried to eloquently put into words what makes tele skiing so wonderful for the folks who decide to give it a go - enjoy!!

http://wp.me/p16MXp-5f

dmc

I had never been tele skiing before this season. A good ski pal of mine switched to the free heel a few seasons ago - and he was the Carthartt skier of the group so it just made sense for us to say "Free Your Heels... And Your Mind Will Follow" as a tribute to his exploratory advances.

In my latest blog I tried to eloquently put into words what makes tele skiing so wonderful for the folks who decide to give it a go - enjoy!!

http://wp.me/p16MXp-5f

You should try snowboarding too!

It's a blast...

BenedictGomez

I have to say, I'm one of the ones that just doesn't get it. I look at people doing it, and it seems dangerous.

dmc

I have to say, I'm one of the ones that just doesn't get it. I look at people doing it, and it seems dangerous.

When you get down on a turn and you have both skis working it cool...

abc

Someone has to say it...

I tried and didn't get it!

I'm not bored with alpine yet. And I don't even get enough days each year just to satisfy my downhill "itch". So the talk of "takes decades to perfect" doesn't really echo with me...

The last thing I need is to start on something that takes hundreds of days to get good at when I only get to ski 20 days a year! It sounds more like a deterrant than a movitator.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm definitely into it. I think there is no prettier site sliding down a mountain, than a good tele skier. Something so elegant and rhythmic about it.

My BC XC gear is basically a light duty tele setup. I am going to try and pick up a real DH tele setup this off-season. Now that I'm skiing with my girls...and don't have to deal with a leash anymore...I think it will be great to be on a tele setup. It will even out the terrain so to speak between me and my girls!

I took a tele clinic when I was in Alta in February and have been on my brother's setup a couple of times. But that's about the extent of my tele experience.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have to say, I'm jealous of teleskiers on powder days. They can make a 1 foot dump look like 3 feet.

I may give it a go sometime. My problem is I don't ski enough to have enough free time to learn something new. I feel like I'd get frustrated teleskiing on an epic day and be pissed I wasn't ripping my alpine skis.

dmc

Other then the DHS time thing... I get that...

Why would anyone want to not try everything?

It's all fun!

skidmarks

No one cares that you Tele!

Been Telemark Skiing for 15+ years and it's big fun. Not sick of Alpine either. Telemark works great in the backcountry and it's very east to cross over too from both Alpine and Snowboarding.

noc_tele_bumper_sticker.jpg

mondeo

Other then the DHS time thing... I get that...

Why would anyone want to not try everything?

It's all fun!
Alpine, tele, snowboarding.

All ways to get down the mountain.

I want to be the best I can at getting down the mountain. The amount of time I'd have to put in to get proficient at tele or snowboarding, I'd lose out in the end in alpine skill. I'd rather be an excellent alpine skier than a very good alpine and tele skier.

skidmarks

ADD Age

I'd rather be an excellent alpine skier than a very good alpine and tele skier.

I agree with you that people tend not to spend the time to get proficient at a sport.

I learned to Tele more for the Backcountry Touring applications then the need to pick up another sport.