• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - AZ Summit 2.0 Weekend

WJenness

Here's some pics I snapped... Pardon the redundancy... I spent most of the weekend hanging with roark and wa-loaf:

First ride up the Rangeley double at Saddleback:
2011-03-25_10-56-31_701.jpg

The overcast sky produced quite a few showers / squalls throughout the day.

A view of some of the fresh snow from the Kennebago quad:
2011-03-25_11-33-26_440.jpg

Still full-on winter at Saddleback:
2011-03-25_11-33-36_182.jpg

When it wasn't snowing at Saddleback, it was bluebird:
2011-03-25_14-13-20_829.jpg

More of the same:
2011-03-25_14-12-27_574.jpg

Saturday morning we awoke to find this:
2011-03-26_08-18-20_800.jpg

Because the driver clearly ignored this:
2011-03-26_08-18-28_239.jpg

Some random shots of the lines in Can't Dog / Brackett:
Fairly typical:
2011-03-27_09-55-07_303.jpg

Trying to show some of the pitch:
2011-03-27_09-55-14_620.jpg

A little roller / huck we found in the trees (wa-loaf hiding behind the trees up high):
2011-03-27_09-57-23_136.jpg

Roark after hitting the roller, I was a little slow on the shutter:
2011-03-27_09-57-34_489.jpg

Wa-Loaf out-skied my shutter finger:
2011-03-27_09-57-29_223.jpg

Wa-Loaf with the loaf summit and deserted king pine area in the background:
2011-03-27_10-02-15_308.jpg

More of the deserted king pine area:
2011-03-27_10-02-21_22.jpg

The lift that we all wished was spinning this weekend (but didn't):
2011-03-27_10-02-36_556.jpg

Had a great weekend, aside from my concussion at Saddleback on Friday... (Thanks again to roark, WoodCore and MTN-FUN for looking after me... I can't imagine what that would have been like if I was by myself)... Can't wait for the next one.

It was great to be able to get in the trees this year, and I'm very happy that I was able to improve my skiing throughout the season to be able to hit the trees this year. I wouldn't have been able to do that last year at the Summit.

Thanks again to Greg, Ethan, and everyone else with a hand in setting this up. What a weekend!

-w

Terry

Wjenness my wife and Sue saw you crash and checked on you. They were wondering how you made out. She said you were out cold for a bit. One of your photos looking back down the lift line has part of our crew in the next chair back. Left to right in the photo, Julia, Boogie, Jody, Sue.

bvibert

Staff member
Here's a few of the pics that I got on Sunday (the only day I took the camera out). I still have more to go through... Then I can start on the GoPro footage, just for riverc0il... ;)

Our first ride up on Sunday thanks to 1st Tracks, this was taken at about 7:40am

IMG_7193 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Jake in some woods on our second run

IMG_7201 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Woodcore dropping into another glade

IMG_7226 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Gmcunni coming into the same glades

IMG_7235 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Deadheadskier attacking it

IMG_7241 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Kind of artsy shot of Woodcore heading down Misery Whip

IMG_7251 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

bigbog

Terrific pics all you guys...
Hey...I'm really happy with the trail cutting jobs(both Casablanca and BB areas) done....y/n? They've left a lot untouched and didn't do a generic tree-lines grooming job. Gives a little more flavor of the local forest growth.
Winter up here isn't over either.....:cool:

WJenness

Wjenness my wife and Sue saw you crash and checked on you. They were wondering how you made out. She said you were out cold for a bit. One of your photos looking back down the lift line has part of our crew in the next chair back. Left to right in the photo, Julia, Boogie, Jody, Sue.

Thank them for checking on me...

I'm fine now... glad I was wearing the helmet. (need a new one now though)

Could you ask them if they saw how it happened? I haven't been able to fully piece it together...

I remember going into that little woods shot and planning on checking my speed so I wouldn't get launched off the drop at the end (because roark had warned me about that)... The next thing in my memory is WoodCore telling me that I should probably be done skiing for the day...

That's been my worst skiing 'incident', and I'm thankful that it turned out OK.

-w

WJenness

and a damn fine mountain guide. skiing with you guys early sunday was a blast, woodcore seemed to know all the right ways to go. jake even commented to me on woodcore's guided tour being awesome (and he's a kid of few words)

Haha... we (myself, roark, and Cara) had the same discussion on Friday at Saddleback...

Pretty nice to just follow someone and hit all the good stuff... so much less thinking required. :)

-w

snowmonster

Thank them for checking on me...

I'm fine now... glad I was wearing the helmet. (need a new one now though)

Could you ask them if they saw how it happened? I haven't been able to fully piece it together...

I remember going into that little woods shot and planning on checking my speed so I wouldn't get launched off the drop at the end (because roark had warned me about that)... The next thing in my memory is WoodCore telling me that I should probably be done skiing for the day...

That's been my worst skiing 'incident', and I'm thankful that it turned out OK.

-w

Sounds like you took a really bad spill. Glad that you're alright, buddy! Casablanca is also the reason I have a new helmet. Last run of the day last year, I was scooting around the glades in Entrance 4 then cut to skiers' right just above some natureal terrain/park features. It was January and there were some saplings or shoots sticking out of the ground. I guess my left ski hit one and I fell to my left side. Unfortunately, I was beside a tree and gave it a head butt. My helmet saved my noggin' that day.

darent

had a great time this weekend and was good to put faces to internet handles, thanks to greg and all who put this summit together, even though the windhold slowed things down. it was better than last year, good conditions. had a awsome tour with the crew in bracket basin, that whole area will be great when they finish the expansion. thanks to sugarloaf for hosting the summit weekend. ski safe all---drew

wa-loaf

had a great time this weekend and was good to put faces to internet handles, thanks to greg and all who put this summit together, even though the windhold slowed things down. it was better than last year, good conditions. had a awsome tour with the crew in bracket basin, that whole area will be great when they finish the expansion. thanks to sugarloaf for hosting the summit weekend. ski safe all---drew

Hey Drew, it was nice to hang out with you for a few runs and the Rack. Hope your wife can make it out next year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Awwww....shucks! Thanks, guys! I had a blast skiing with all of you! Helmet on WoodCore for next year! (he's sitting right next to me now....maybe not.......)

:snow:

well, he did have some serious armor on his ski pants; I don't think a match for his dome should be too hard to convince him of....... ;)

great skiing with you this weekend!!! How was Stratton on Monday?

bvibert

Staff member
The rest of my pics from Sunday. I was pretty disappointed by most of my shots, but these weren't too bad...

gmcunni on Misery Whip

IMG_7253 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

MTN-FUN on Misery Whip

IMG_7256 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

gmcunni and Jake on Misery Whip

IMG_7268 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

gmcunni on Misery Whip

IMG_7275 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Dave on Ripsaw?

IMG_7309 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr

Dave on Ripsaw?

IMG_7314 by Brian Vibert, on Flickr