• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Mar 30-Apr 1st?

abc

I will second that. Hunter is a fun mountian and I ahve been there a number of times but Magic is much more fun IMO and less crowded.

As for driving.... I live in Southern Westcester and get to Magic in 3:10 driving within 10 MPH of the speed limit. So you should be able to beat 4:30. I guess its sending you up 87? If you do decide to hit Magic take the Taconic to Route 295 in Chatham (last exit before the toll) to 22 North to NY 7 in Hoosick to 279 to VT 7. get off at exit 4(Manchester) and take 11 across to Magic.
I doubt there'll be much in the way of crowd even in Hunter.

I'm north of you, and mapquest is telling me it'll take me 3 1/2 hrs still. Realistically, I can probably do it within 3. I don't know how you manage to do it at 3:10 from where you are...

Yes, I'm one of those who's likely to head up to Magic Saturday. What better time to check out a new mountain than after a storm?!

gladerider

Thanks all. Their verts are similar (1700 Magic vs. 1600 Hunter), but Hunter reports 240 acres versus Magic's 135, though comparing maps Hunter doesnt seem all that much bigger, so you can see my confusion and why I wanted to ask some folks. And yeah, $50 to ski Saturday and Sunday seems pretty sweet.

i've been to both. magic's terrain is far more fun for me than hunter's. but, when i was there 2 years ago, magic was running only the red lift and the wait on the line was longer than i expected. there was about 8" of fresh that day and i was on the red liftline all day. awesome time. i can see that happening again. it's tempting. from where i am in jersey, i can make it to magic in 4.5 hours. i can take a bus trip to snow and i'd rather not drive. so looks like i am leaning towards snow at this point.

farlep99

On Magic's busiest day this year (Black Magic Challenge) the liftline was barely over 10mins & that was generally just between 10am-2pm. I wouldn't worry about liftlines at all this weekend. They'll maybe be 5-10mins on Sat & probably nothing on Sun. The bonus to having 1 lift is that the slopes feel empty. On any powder day @ Magic you can still find freshies towards the end of the day.

2sons

I left my helmet at Magic last weekend so I called and spoke to Jim, the owner. He's sending it to me no charge provided I come ski there again soon. When and where does that ever happen?
Check out Magic- you won't be sorry. There might be a lift line for the Red Chair, but that's part of the experience.

SKIQUATTRO

you can all thank me as we have a 6am flight on saturday to Disney for a few days with the kids.....enjoy!

jrmagic

I doubt there'll be much in the way of crowd even in Hunter.

I'm north of you, and mapquest is telling me it'll take me 3 1/2 hrs still. Realistically, I can probably do it within 3. I don't know how you manage to do it at 3:10 from where you are...

Yes, I'm one of those who's likely to head up to Magic Saturday. What better time to check out a new mountain than after a storm?!

I generally travel later in the evening so I don't ever have traffic issues (Putting the curse on myself lol) but I make the drive pretty much every weekend of the season and that is how long it takes me. I do take one shortcut that I didn;t put in my directions above... I take CR 5 in New Caanan to Rte 20 in Lebenon Center.

abc

I generally travel later in the evening so I don't ever have traffic issues (Putting the curse on myself lol)
I see. If it's late enough, I can see you can proceed unimpeded on those roads.

Although on a stormy night this Friday, there's the worry of how well plow those roads are...

It just occurred to me Jiminy is right along the way! Another mountain I have heard good thing but never checked out...

farlep99

The drive to Magic from NYC takes 4.5hrs on a Friday evening, assuming normal traffic. Coming back home on Sunday I usually do it in 3.5hrs. Never any traffic. The drive is well worth it, best terrain in SoVT

MommaBear

i feel like i should be booking a room and staging myself in S VT tonight... why am i not?

Feeling the same way...want to head up NOW (and a 15 yo behind me wanting it more) but struggling with shirking tomorrow's responsibilities.....God I hate being a responsible person!

BenedictGomez

The drive to Magic from NYC takes 4.5hrs on a Friday evening, assuming normal traffic. Coming back home on Sunday I usually do it in 3.5hrs. Never any traffic. The drive is well worth it, best terrain in SoVT

Since the storm should mostly end by Friday afternoon, I'm hoping the roads up there will be reasonably cleared by Friday night.

I'm leaving from Central Jersey around 4:30, so I figure by the time I'm off 87 it will be maybe 7pm. Of course, that equation has me hoping that they do a great job on 87. Net/net, I'm thinking this "4.5 hour drive" may be 5.5 hours. Am I wrong?

gmcunni

Feeling the same way...want to head up NOW (and a 15 yo behind me wanting it more) but struggling with shirking tomorrow's responsibilities.....God I hate being a responsible person!

had my 1:1 with my boss today.. couldn't figure out how to work into the conversation taking a last minute day off as i was going through my project list explaiing how i was behind on everything...:-?

MommaBear

had my 1:1 with my boss today.. Couldn't figure out how to work into the conversation taking a last minute day off as i was going through my project list explaiing how i was behind on everything...:-?

lol!

skiboarder

Agreed on the driving, but now that I'm doing more research on this storm track......

I'm starting to think about the above.

I've never been to Magic, but GOOG says it's a 4.5 hour drive from me, whereas Hunter is 2 hour 45 minutes. So lets say Magic gets 14 inches and Hunter gets 10.

Does Magic have substantially better terrain than Hunter to justify the extra driving is the question? Anyone been to both?
Magic is not open on Fri, so all the Fri.snowfall will be freshies Sat. morning!

BenedictGomez

SON OF A &&*&*$#&*

They've completely downgraded this storm.

Now they have the Catskills getting 5 or 7 inches down from 8-12

And southern Vermont to 6 to 8 inches from 14 - 17

And Northern Vermont looks like it will barely get more than 6 or 7 inches now

This sucks........ If it keeps shifting east any farther, it will be much ado about nothing. :( This will be the ultimate "play it by ear" tomorrow, but if Hunter only gets 1 or 2 inches less than Magic, I'll guess I'll just go to the Catskills and save some driving.

thissucks.jpg

Last edited:

WJenness

Snow has started here in Woburn, MA

Thinking SR on Sunday might be where I end up.

Loon is a possibility as well... We'll see how tomorrow and Sat. go.

(Sat. is a friend's bachelor party, so how far I go on Sunday depends on how crazy THAT gets...)

-w