• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Mar 30-Apr 1st?

legalskier

Woke up and looked out the window. Man I feel gypped.
:angry:

Last edited:

KevinS

Should I hit Jay this weekend for two days or Magic for one? Coming from CT there is a significant drive difference (and I need to pay for a hotel at Jay but not for Magic). Tickets are a wash, $25 each for 2 people at Magic is nothing compared to gas and I already have vouchers for Jay.

I've never been to either, I really want to go to both, but it looks like it will snow a bit more in the south this weekend.

skiboarder

Should I hit Jay this weekend for two days or Magic for one? Coming from CT there is a significant drive difference (and I need to pay for a hotel at Jay but not for Magic). Tickets are a wash, $25 each for 2 people at Magic is nothing compared to gas and I already have vouchers for Jay.

I've never been to either, I really want to go to both, but it looks like it will snow a bit more in the south this weekend.

Atleast at Jay, Sat morning will be all freshies because they are not open today. Unfortunately, it will only be 6-8 inches

gmcunni

2 days is more skiing than 1 day. more skiing = more better

(i'd think 2 days at magic might be good, should be some inexpensive lodging nearby)

2sons

Atleast at Jay, Sat morning will be all freshies because they are not open today. Unfortunately, it will only be 6-8 inches

Did you get it backwards? Or is that an April Fools joke? Jay is open today and there's so much more snow in NVT. They are offering a ski and stay deal at the Tram Haus. I'd hit Jay.

tjf67

I dont think there is going to be that much. Everything North of K is going to get very little. Nothing In Lake Placid. 0 nada close your eyes what do you see.

BenedictGomez

I dont think there is going to be that much. Everything North of K is going to get very little. Nothing In Lake Placid. 0 nada close your eyes what do you see.

Exactly. This has turned into a total bust. The Magic/Bromley'ish area was slated for 17 yesterday, now they'll get 6 if they're lucky. Just not worth 9 hours in drive time for me. At least it will be bright and sunny mid-50s to 60 down here. I'll be dusting off the golf clubs this weekend instead of skiing = le sigh. :(

jrmagic

So ht MAgic this weekend and then save the vouchers for net weekend at Jay8)

WinnChill

Exactly. This has turned into a total bust. The Magic/Bromley'ish area was slated for 17 yesterday, now they'll get 6 if they're lucky. Just not worth 9 hours in drive time for me. At least it will be bright and sunny mid-50s to 60 down here. I'll be dusting off the golf clubs this weekend instead of skiing = le sigh. :(

Jeez, 17? Who the heck said that? What was the expected low range?

UVSHTSTRM

Not sure how long this will last, but I think Western Maine should be the jackpot winner....perhaps Loon, Waterville and Cannon as well. Granted if this storm continues to disappoint and very little could be had throughout NE. Looks like it is already breaking up throughout Vermont and Western NH. Here in the Upper Valley of NH/VT it's been pretty much just flurries since I woke this morning at 5am.

WinnChill

Not sure where that came from. So what do you see there... still 8+?

I'm trying to find out what they have now...have you heard anything? I don't expect much more as the snow field is thinning out over VT. I wish I stuck with the half foot we had from Sunday--looked like we could push the envelope a little there.

WinnChill

Not sure how long this will last, but I think Western Maine should be the jackpot winner....perhaps Loon, Waterville and Cannon as well. Granted if this storm continues to disappoint and very little could be had throughout NE. Looks like it is already breaking up throughout Vermont and Western NH. Here in the Upper Valley of NH/VT it's been pretty much just flurries since I woke this morning at 5am.

We had ME/NH pegged for the most with this one and it seems to be panning out ok. You always run the risk of fringe snow for VT with a coastal hugger like this.

BenedictGomez

Yesterday he was saying 4.5 so maybe he means the round trip?
Right.

Jeez, 17? Who the heck said that?

The government (a.k.a. NOAA) said it. Accuweather went with the more ambiguous, 12+.

They had southern Vermont as the big winner yesterday with about 17 inches (though they had central and N.VT at 13 - 15 too), then sadly downgraded it to 8 inches around 3 or 4pm. When I woke up this morning it was further downgraded to 5 inches. Tragic.

S. VT
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/Snow_PNS/StormTotalSnowFcst.png

N. VT
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/StormTotalSnow/StormTotalSnowFcst.png

hammer

The government (a.k.a. NOAA) said it. Accuweather went with the more ambiguous, 12+.

They had southern Vermont as the big winner yesterday with about 17 inches, then sadly downgraded it to 8 inches around 3 or 4pm. When I woke up this morning it was further downgraded to 5 inches. Tragic.
And NH got shafted on the storm that dumped over 2 feet in VT and NY...it happens.

jrmagic

I'm trying to find out what they have now...have you heard anything? I don't expect much more as the snow field is thinning out over VT. I wish I stuck with the half foot we had from Sunday--looked like we could push the envelope a little there.

Nope not yet. I'm gonna call a friend of mine that was supposed to head up last night. I will let you know if I hear back.

buellski

We've got about 3 inches on the ground here. NOAA is still saying 2-4 today, but that's a lot less than 12+. Still, should make for some great skiing this weekend!