Ski Sundown Hike - 7/30/06

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ski Sundown Hike - 7/30/06

Date(s) Hiked: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 9 am - 11 am

Trails(s) Hiked: Exhibition --> Lower Canyon Run --> Nor'easter --> Gunbarrel --> "The Horn" --> Nor'easter ---> Canyon Run --> Exhibition

Total Distance: ??? 1.5 miles maybe...

Difficulty: Easy

Conditions: Sunny, warm, but comfortable in the shade; calm; dry ski trails

Special Required Equipment: None

Trip Report: Met up with bvibert this morning for a quick hike around Sundown. We had our daughters in tow with the Kelty packs. We started up Exhibition from the base and then Nor'easter. We both commented on how the terrain overall looks steeper in the summer. It's also interesting to see all the terrain variation on the ski trails which are normally smoothed out with snow during the ski season. We took a break at the sundeck to let the kids stretch and then on to the summit. After a look down the "B" liftline, we went over to the top of Gunbarrel to catch a view. Brian then suggested taking the Horn back over towards Nor'easter. We then went on a recon mission to explore a possible tree skiing area. We found it and it indeed looks skiable given enough natural snowfall. We then made our way back to the base. A quick easy hike, but it was a lot of fun to poke around the ski area in the off-season. Plus it just got us even more psyched for the ski season!

Pics are HERE.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Cool...Glad you guys got to hike Sundown. Pics are great, nice to see Ski Sundown in the summer.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32
    17/18 Season 5

Nice TR Greg, it was a pleasure to meet up with and meet your daughter. The pics came out great, looks like your new camera is working good! I'll try to remember to load up mine later. It was amazing to me how much steeper things looked while hiking, and how uneven the terrain is. Now I'm really anxious to for the snow to fly again!

BTW, nice avatar!
    Brian

nice hike! and nice new avatar for the warm weather months. you gotta love hiking ski areas during the summer, i was just at cannon today actually. good point about how you get to see the natural slope of the mountain during the summer but the groomers smooth it out flat during the winter. i always notice this with a frown on my face.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    Nice TR Greg, it was a pleasure to meet up with and meet your daughter. The pics came out great, looks like your new camera is working good! I'll try to remember to load up mine later. It was amazing to me how much steeper things looked while hiking, and how uneven the terrain is. Now I'm really anxious to for the snow to fly again!

BTW, nice avatar!
    Likewise, Brian. Your daughter is a cutie. Gotta love kids that are easy to make smile! Yup - this is the first round of scenery pics from the camera and I'm pretty happy with them. It takes great pics overall, but I've found that indoor pics show some brutal redeye. I think it will suit my purpose though. The 6X optical zoom works well. Compare these pics:

View from Gunbarrel:

Zoom in on Lake McDonough:

Zoom in on base are buildings:

You'll notice the humidity/haze was pretty high today and it still resolved the distance shots pretty well...
    Last edited by Greg; Jul 30, 2006 at 8:54 PM.

woot, that is some nice zoom. what camera did you end up getting? the AZ watermark is nice on those pics. is that generated by the online gallery or done through software? i need to figure out how to do the transparent thing on my pics.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

A Canon Powershot A700. Small, lightweight, uses 2 AA batteries, 6X optical zoom, 6 megapixels, very good video mode. It met all my criteria. We love our Canon digital Rebel so sticking with the Canon brand made sense.

The watermark is applied by Photopost, the new AZ gallery software. I created it by creating an image with a semi-transparent black drop shadow and semi-transparent white text fill. That was it shows up pretty well on both light and dark images. I'd be happy to create one for you. Just need to know your font and have any other images/logos you want included.

Do you think anyone would object to me hiking Sundown with my dogs? Just last week I was thinking of heading up there to hike with the wife and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21
    Do you think anyone would object to me hiking Sundown with my dogs? Just last week I was thinking of heading up there to hike with the wife and dogs.
    No idea. I'm not even sure how they feel about us hiking it at all. I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it though. On Sunday, we saw one person - a woman who brought a lawn chair to the deck at the base and was just chillin' out on that. Saw nobody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    No idea. I'm not even sure how they feel about us hiking it at all. I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it though. On Sunday, we saw one person - a woman who brought a lawn chair to the deck at the base and was just chillin' out on that. Saw nobody else.
    That woman showed up with a guy, I have no idea where he went off to. I think he may have been doing some sort of work there while his wife relaxed on the deck, they didn't stay very long. He didn't say anything to me while I was waiting at the gate for Greg though. I don't see why they'd have any more problem with bringing your dogs then they would with just you and your wife.
    Brian

Thread Information