• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which digital streaming is better?

Cannonball

I flip between Netflix and Amazon for binge watching purposes (though, usually 1 episode a night, so not really binging). I can't ever remember which thing I was watching what show on, so that's a problem.

For daily/normal watching, though, still can't get over the hump of having to decide what to watch. We just don't invest that much effort in it. Sit down, turn on HGTV, turn on computer, zone out for an hour, go to bed. I hate paying $100+ a month for that. Kids watch "more" though still very little, and their needs are entirely manageable with the iPads.

Just have to decide to rip the cord out.

RIP it out! We did for 2 completely different reasons that seem to line up with yours:
1) For me: I never even think to turn on the TV. If I'm home alone I'm either listening to music or doing something on my computer. The only time I watch TV is to sit and spend time with my wife. So I had virtually no need for a cable subscription/cost.
2) For my wife: She always turns on the TV and watches whatever is on regardless of quality. She got sick of that time suck and wanted to cut the cord to prevent her from wasting time with the TV.

Now we stream everything through Netflix, Amazon, or network apps. We watch less total TV. When we do watch, we choose the content and timing. So much better. So much cheaper.

ctenidae

Okay, doing actual research now. Our cable bill is $146/month. $40 of that is equipment rental, and we have the most basic of packages.
We watch about 15 channels with any regularity, often 1-2 shows per.

Seems like Sling gets 6 of them, with 1 more for an extra $5. Hulu seems to have the other shows. So now we're up to $33/month.

Questions, then:
1) How many different apps/services do you have/need to replicate your particular viewing range?
2) How annoying is it to try to remember which show is on what app?
2a) Given 2, I presume it's best to use a consistent device across all TV. I'm leaning toward FireTV for the living room, FireSticks everywhere else (Sling has $50 off the FireTV)

Cannonball

Okay, doing actual research now. Our cable bill is $146/month. $40 of that is equipment rental, and we have the most basic of packages.

Seems like Sling gets 6 of them, with 1 more for an extra $5. Hulu seems to have the other shows. So now we're up to $33/month.

Questions, then:
1) How many different apps/services do you have/need to replicate your particular viewing range?
2a) Given 2, I presume it's best to use a consistent device across all TV. I'm leaning toward FireTV for the living room, FireSticks everywhere else (Sling has $50 off the FireTV)

Don't forget that bundled Internet/TV does have different pricing vs Internet only. So sometimes the provider savings aren't huge. Plus you may want top end Internet speed (ie cost) to handle a family's worth of streaming.

With that said...
1) we pay for Netflix. We also pay for Amazon Prime, but we mostly do that for the free shipping, the streaming content is a bonus. We also have lots of network streaming apps but they are all free. Every random sitcom or drama that my wife likes is available through network apps. Usually within a day or two of initial airing. Then there are some pay-as-you-go services like Google Play ($1-$5 per show/movie). I equate those to on-demand you might purchase even when you pay for cable.

2) not at all. They each have "watch lists" that keep track of what you've seen and are very easy to come back to.

3) this is a little bit trickier. We have chromecast on each of the TVs we watch (only 2). They are ~$35 each. That works great for Netflix, YouTube, and many network apps. Amazon Prime will mostly not stream to chromecast because they want you to buy their Fire-thing. But there are work arounds. Google Chrome browser on a computer can stream to chromecast. So we usually watch Amazon that way. Different phones also offer different work arounds (iPhone is pretty limited). I have a Motorola Maxx. It can cast it's whole screen to chromecast and other devices. So I'm able to cast Amazon, NFL Network, and other services that typically prevent casting.

In the end you lose somethings you gain somethings. But most of that is in the noise of garbage that you only watch because it's there. Some random program on free streaming is no worse or better than some random program on paid cable.

The biggest thing for me is timing. I don't always feel like watching something at the top of the hour. And I don't like getting stuck watching something until the top of some other hour. On any given night maybe I only have the time and interest to watch TV from 8:47 to 9:32. I can do that with streaming, I can't do that with scheduled cable programs.

VTKilarney

Questions, then:

I'm a big fan of Roku. Roku is not a content provider, so they don't prevent you from accessing any streaming competition. It's the best device for one stop shopping, so to speak.

Sling allows you to watch past episodes of shows that have aired in the past week or so, which is a really nice feature. No need to record them - just pull them up in the archive. (I'm not sure if this is available on all channels.)

To answer your questions:
1) We use about three apps regularly. I have a couple more, but they are RARELY used.
2) It's not at all hard to remember which show is on which app. You get used to it VERY quickly.
3) Using the same device is not necessary, but it makes things easier.

You can't get the full cable experience if you cut the cord. There will be compromises. But we find that there is plenty to watch, and that we have primarily eliminated stuff that we didn't need in the first place. I've never regretted cutting the cord.