• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which digital streaming is better?

ctenidae

Netflix vs Blockbuster vs Hulu vs CinemaNow vs whatever other one you can think of...

Seems like Netflix has the shows, Blockbuster has a decent interface, CinemaNow has new movies faster, not sure what Hulu has/does.

What do you use, what do you like?

ctenidae

Didn't know Amazon had one, even. Still ahven't figured out (though haven't tried very hard) how to get services on the bluray devices that didn't come pre-loaded. Usually because by the time I start fiddling with that, I'm pretty loaded...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Didn't know Amazon had one, even. Still ahven't figured out (though haven't tried very hard) how to get services on the bluray devices that didn't come pre-loaded. Usually because by the time I start fiddling with that, I'm pretty loaded...
The only way I could get it to work would be through the computer, either on the laptop screen or by connecting to the TV with the HDMI. BUT I questioned it because it was mentioned in the Netflix thread that they offer free streaming for Amazon Prime members... and discovered it's only for those who have a paid Amazon Prime membership. Mine is a free student version and does not qualify. Since I already pay for Netflix, I'm not paying for streaming elsewhere.

ta&idaho

Netflix streaming over TiVo and Apple TV stopped working for us, and neither Netflix nor Comcast seem to be able to fix it (each company blames the other), so we're in the market for a new streaming service. Do any of the others work through those devices (we have both since we got the Apple TV as a gift)?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Netflix streaming over TiVo and Apple TV stopped working for us, and neither Netflix nor Comcast seem to be able to fix it (each company blames the other), so we're in the market for a new streaming service. Do any of the others work through those devices (we have both since we got the Apple TV as a gift)?
Doesn't iTunes work with Apple TV? I thought they had downloadable rentals. Not really "streaming" but an easy way to get a movie.

ta&idaho

Doesn't iTunes work with Apple TV? I thought they had downloadable rentals. Not really "streaming" but an easy way to get a movie.

Yes, great for movies but not for TV shows (which is what we have primiarly watched via Netflix streaming).

Geoff

The Comcast VoD product has by far the best video quality. I just wish they had more free HD content. I'd rather buy the Blu Ray than pay for streaming video.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The Comcast VoD product has by far the best video quality. I just wish they had more free HD content. I'd rather buy the Blu Ray than pay for streaming video.
There's a ton more content available online. HD content seems to go in cycles.

Geoff

There's a ton more content available online. HD content seems to go in cycles.

I have Netflix and I often get streaming deals from Amazon because I buy Blu Ray discs from them.

Netflix is all about quantity over quality.

Amazon is pretty good when you stream HD but I would never pay for it. Their pricing OK for compressed video but the HD pricing is nuts.

The Walmart/Vudu is also priced at a point where I wouldn't consider it. I don't understand why they charge a huge premium for HD. Their distribution contract must somehow force them to do this so they don't eat into Blu Ray sales.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
The only way I could get it to work would be through the computer, either on the laptop screen or by connecting to the TV with the HDMI. BUT I questioned it because it was mentioned in the Netflix thread that they offer free streaming for Amazon Prime members... and discovered it's only for those who have a paid Amazon Prime membership. Mine is a free student version and does not qualify. Since I already pay for Netflix, I'm not paying for streaming elsewhere.

I didn't realize it was only for the paid version, although I suppose that makes sense.

I use Netflix almost exclusively, but every now and again I will want to watch a new release that isn't out on Netflix yet and I don't feel like making the drive to the Redbox so I just rent it on Amazon for $3.99 or whatever it is. It's still not that bad considering I dont' have to move from the comfort of my couch :)

hammer

I didn't realize it was only for the paid version, although I suppose that makes sense.

I use Netflix almost exclusively, but every now and again I will want to watch a new release that isn't out on Netflix yet and I don't feel like making the drive to the Redbox so I just rent it on Amazon for $3.99 or whatever it is. It's still not that bad considering I dont' have to move from the comfort of my couch :)
What hardware do you use to connect to the TV?

I purchased Inception through Amazon and can watch it using our xBox 360, but it's actually playing the movie from my PC.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What hardware do you use to connect to the TV?

I purchased Inception through Amazon and can watch it using our xBox 360, but it's actually playing the movie from my PC.

I have a Logitech Revue that I actually got for free as part of a developer's incentive (yay!) so I normally use that. Prior to that I used to plug my laptop in via HDMI.

For netflix I use either the Revue or my PS3.

mlctvt

Amazon has over 2000 movies that are free for Amazon prime members although they are they are mostly older movies. The newer more popular stuff still costs $.

I've streamed some movies from Amazon using a Roku HD box at our condo in VT but we have an older CRT TV there so I can't really comment on the quality. It seemed as goood if not better than Netflix.

The Roku box is cheap and it allows you to search and select through Netflix on the box/TV itself. On our much higher end Sony Blue Ray player you must put the selections into your "instant queue" from a computer first.

ctenidae

The Roku box is cheap and it allows you to search and select through Netflix on the box/TV itself. On our much higher end Sony Blue Ray player you must put the selections into your "instant queue" from a computer first.

I think you need to get the software update for your Sony- you can search from thee now.

hammer

I'm considering the Roku so that I can stream content to other TVs in the house. We may "need" one if our son is successful in taking the xBox 360 with him to college in the fall.

gmcunni

what device would be best for streaming *any* video from a Windows PC AND Ipad/phone? i know google chrome has options but last time i tried it the problem was only specific apps worked... for example I don't believe i could stream from Windows Media player... i could have downloaded a different video player (VLC??) but i'm not looking for extra hassle.

basically, in addition to the streaming services like netflix, hulu, amazon, i'm looking to stream a MP4 or AVI from my PC while i'm sitting on front of the tv also using same PC for work/play on internet.

Apple TV?