• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Welch Dickey July 30th

Vortex

Welch Dickey July 30th

Temps 75 at start at the base. Sunny no humidity upper 60's at the peak tops.

Trails slightly wet form Friday Rain some slippery spots on the rocks, but very manageable.

This has become my favorite hike in the region. Usually a couple times a year its done.

We statred a bit after 9am and saw young lady walking out with a chain saw. I thought I was over prepared. jk A group was doing trail maint.

We stated out in nice cool weather and crossed the brook and got into the woods. The temps and humidity for summer could not be better. There were quite a few cars in the lot, but we were never passed. My wife and I took it real slow and just stopped and checked out all the views. Very clear day. I did not realize what a great view of Tenney mountain there was. Either is was coudy before or I was just not looking hard enough. The Steep rock faces were mostly dry and that was my major concern so it really was pretty easy the whole way. A couple of spots it scarry, but very few.

We stopped at the the top of Welch and had a snack the wind was really whipping and the air actually flet a bit chilly. (I liked that) My cheap thermometer broke. So it was either 62F or 100F. High sixties was the last reading before it broke.

We brought our field glasses and tried to find out place from the top, but we saw in was to far in the valley, but the views from this hike are so incredible and so little effort.

We saw a few people coming down as we came up and a few passed us as we ate lunch on the ledges. There is a spot where these is a shape of the state of NH that is naturally cut in to the rock and my kids call a little spot further down the snake. Looks like the shape of a snake cut out of rock also.

This hike was just myself and my wife and it was just the perfect day to hike. Ow ya no bugs. The wind was consistant and no buzzing critters. The hike is 4.4 miles we did it in just under 4 hours with 3 long stops at each of the major viewing areas. The forest protection garden, The top of Welch and the cliffs. We did stop to sit a while on the bench almost at the end of the trail, cause its a nice bench. This is my favoirite hike in sept. You get to see foliage early and look down on it from the cliffs. Great family hike and easy for all ages with geat views with minimal efforts.

Last edited:

SilentCal

I think one of my nightmares has a woman with a chainsaw in it.........

Nice to see you had a good trip! We'll have to hit it again sometime.

Mike P.

BeanoNYC, he also said CHAINSAW, maybe over prepared for trail conditions but I think I'd rather get shot accidently. Mt. Dickey & Chainsaw is a awful combination

On a serious note this is a great easier hike with great views.

Last edited:

Vortex

Well.... this does not go over well as a mod. I usually don't bring a camera. Its all about the moment and the view you get for the effort you put forth. Then its gone until the next time I go. (I have problems trying to post picutes anyway. Tech is not my thing.)

BeanoNYC

Bob R said:
I usually don't bring a camera. Its all about the moment and the view you get for the effort you put forth. Then its gone until the next time I go.

completely understandable.

Moose

Glad you made it out Sunday. I was wondering if the trail would be wet and slippery after the rain we got Saturday night down south.