• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2011 K2 Kung Fujas

jaywbigred

I demo'd these the other day and LOVED them. They were awesome carving, seemed to do well on the few hardpan/scratchy spots I found to test them on, and they were even good in the moguls. Obviously they will be good in pow and chop and woods.

Mount Snow Sports is having a sale (like everywhere) where I can get new ones for $450 with Marker Griffin bindings, or I can get demo skis with Griffins for $360 (20 days or so demo days on them, shorter days obviously as people switch out during the day). Am I crazy to get this ski as my all mountain ski on the east coast??

What do you guys think of the new vs. demo ski debate? The nice guy at the store pointed out that the downside to demos is that a knowledgeable thief who spots the demo binding might target them over other skis because they will fit him (or a potential buyer) better. But he also pointed out that the demo binding moves more than the standard binding and I can play with the stance I want, where if I maxed the toe forward, I would almost be at true center. Interesting point.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Talk me out of it, talk me into it, let me know what you think.

wa-loaf

Those are pretty damn good prices. For $90 I'd go for new and the griffon is probably a better binding than the demo.

jaywbigred

Those are pretty damn good prices. For $90 I'd go for new and the griffon is probably a better binding than the demo.

Well, fwiw, the demo binding is a demo version of the Griffin. But I agree, I'll prob go for new, to avoid possible stealing, and also to get the manufacturer's warranty.

Jay, you gonna be rocking them at Blue next season?
Prob not Root. I am changing jobs effective this Monday, and my new gig is down towards the shore. Midweek trips are prob going the way of the dodo, and the Blue wknd lines are scary.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Well, fwiw, the demo binding is a demo version of the Griffin. But I agree, I'll prob go for new, to avoid possible stealing, and also to get the manufacturer's warranty.

Prob not Root. I am changing jobs effective this Monday, and my new gig is down towards the shore. Midweek trips are prob going the way of the dodo, and the Blue wknd lines are scary.
That's too bad. Sounds like it worked out for you though.

Any mid-week opportunities?

jaywbigred

Well I went ahead and bought them a couple days ago. Too good of a deal to pass up. Still getting used to them, but they are def. fun. Dimensions are 133-102-127. Never thought I'd be using a ski with 102 mm underfoot as my everyday ski, but here I am! Still have my K2 Public Enemies or even my Nordica SUV 14s if I want to go narrower. I'll prob pick one of those next year and have them tuned for icy conditions/early season, then use the Kung Fujas for anything midwinter soft or softer.