• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you guys tune up your equipment?

How often do you tune up your skiis?

• After every day of skiing

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Every 2-5 days

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Every 6-10 days

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Every 11-20 days

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • 21-30 days

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • >30

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

aaronbru

Before the season starts i have the local shop give me a full tune.
I usually put on some of the cheap 'rub-on' wax between every ski day.

vdk03

Anybody ever tune their brand new equipment? The factory edges are probably as good as they'll ever get, but what about a specific temp. wax?

drjeff

I'm starting to think that I've totally spoiled my wife, and now my almost 8 year old daughter with how frequently I tune their equipment. This past weekend, BOTH of them on the 3rd day since their gear had been tuned(or atleast started off as brand new in the case of my daughter) were basically telling me that they needed some tuning :rolleyes: The good thing is that my daughter was asking me when she'd be old enough to tune her own skiis! :)

bvibert

Staff member
Is this the year of the big tune for the skis?

I'm about due for the Watea's (they still have the factory tune on them), and I'm actually over due on my bump skis. I gotta see if I can get down to see Peter one of these days...

bvibert

Staff member
I'm about due for the Watea's (they still have the factory tune on them), and I'm actually over due on my bump skis. I gotta see if I can get down to see Peter one of these days...

Actually, now that I think about it I may have waxed them once, but I haven't touched the edges on either, aside from 10 seconds with a diamond stone before heading out yesterday.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I had my skis fully tuned at Wachusett (belt and edges) and it did make a noticeable difference. I didn't have any coreshots but it had been about 9 runs since I had tuned it. So I would say go more often.

Do you guys dry your skis after skiing? I had some rust spots on my edges. I'm pretty bad about staying on top of that.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Do you guys dry your skis after skiing? I had some rust spots on my edges. I'm pretty bad about staying on top of that.

I just had to bring our skis in for a tune because they had some rust on the edges. I left them on the roof rack for one night, and it set it. Now that I actually have a pair of skis that I care about, I need to be better with this.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I need p tex after skiing the natural snow at Platty last week,but it was so worth it.:)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Once at start of the season for both hard snow and soft snow skis. Hard snow skis see a second mid-season tune. If I had my own tuning equipment, I'd probably do the hard snow skis every 3-4 days. If I'm on hard pack a fresh tune really makes a world of difference in my enjoyment on the hill for the day.

Sky

I love these answers...funny stuff. "whenever the service light comes on"..."is there a never option"...etc. Thanks...I needed a chuckle.

I touch up my edges weekly (pre-race). I wax daily (which unfortunately daily means weekly since I only get out once a week). But now that I have the vice and the rest of the equipment...it's a breeze.

I follow SkiMd's guidance to NOT iron. I use the Ray's Way farbic-thing after I crayon the wax onto the base...then roto brush. BAM! Done.

I've tried the crayon...then iron (and scrape) thing a freind of mine does....meh.

But I'm addicted to sharp edges. I scrape my thumbnail on my edged skis every time I walk past them.

If the bases need work...I hit the shop. But last time I took my skis in, the tuner looked them over and handed them back. "I don't need to touch these." Beer and Nacho funds!!

BenedictGomez

I probably do it every 10 to 12 days on snow, so I'm on the cusp of two choices and chose the 11-20 option.

Though I was skiing on my rock skis the other night as it was the Poconos so there wasnt a need for 90mm underfoot, and I realized they drastically need waxing. Rock skis need love too!

Yes. I get a paper napkin and run it over the edges to dry them.

I do the same thing.

Last edited:

drjeff

I actually have shop season tunes this year, although I will readily admit to still breaking out my tuning bench and waxing iron on a regular basis for some mid weekend touch ups and/or night before race tunes for my daughter's skis.

I'm still getting used to the concept of dropping my skis off at the shop when I head home on a Monday and picking them back up on Friday evening all freshly sharpened and waxed (and then dropping off the obligatory "thank you" beers to the guys in the shop :beer: ). On the flipside, it has opened up a brand new "social event evening" now that i'm not trying to squeeze in tuning 4 pairs of skis into my Friday evening arrival and get the kids fed and to bed at a decent hour routine! So that's a plus in my book for sure! :)

Mpdsnowman

As a rule I wax my boards and tune the edges every three or four times out. Obviously snow type determines that. I ride alot of glades so Ptex and a lighter is a standard in my tool box I keep in the van. This year however I have not waxed either board since taking off the Summer coats because the snow has been excellent! Tomorrow is my 12th day I believe??? But both are still in fine shape for now.

582419_2645559716149_2128316253_n.jpg