• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tapatalk - another way to access AZ on your smartphone!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hi Everyone,

We have just installed Tapatalk on our forums. Tapatalk is a smartphone application that gives you quick and easy access to forums that have Tapatalk installed, and is available for a number of devices, including iPhone, Android, and Blackberry.

Note: You do NOT need to install Tapatalk to browse our forums on your mobile device! You can simply access it the way you always do, by visiting http://www.forums.alpinezone.com from your mobile device. Tapatalk simply gives you an option to use the Tapatalk app to browse the forum, in addition to the standard mobile template.

Once you download the Tapatalk application, simply search for AlpineZone and you will find us in the directory.

Here is the information Tapatalk provides about their service:

Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry. Tapatalk Forum App provides super fast on-the-go forum access to majority of the discussion forums that has activated the Tapatalk plugin.

Showing New and Unread Thread with Avatar and Number of reply:
77ec8c55-d161-2949.jpg

Images are thread are converted to thumbnail and allow full-screen viewing
77ec8c55-d19e-1d77.jpg

Ability to see Who's Online and what they are doing:
77ec8c55-d1b3-cbe1.jpg

Ability to search by topics and posts:
77ec8c55-d1cd-05b1.jpg

Ability to upload images directly from Android and iPhone!:
77ec8c55-d44e-0fbc.jpg

Forum Moderation support:
77ec8c55-d44e-0fbb.jpg

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

Please give it a spin if you own a smartphone and let us know if you like the experience! Right now, we are doing this as a trial period, so your feedback is appreciated, I'm particularly interested in speed, and if you have been using the mobile site previously please give me your feedback on how this compares for you!

One of things I really like about Tapatalk is the ability to add pictures on the fly - so next time you are on the slopes you can snap a photo with your smartphone and add it to a thread immediately.

Some more info:
Tapatalk mobile page

Also, for those of you with fancy Bar Code Scanners on Android, here's the QR code:
chart

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Not that I'm hugely interested, but what about webOS support? Palm Pre Pluses are smartphones, too.

Well I think I jumped the gun in the OP. It says on their site:

Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and Nokia.

WebOS link

WP7 Link

Blackberry Link:
Tapatalk for BlackBerry is currently in public beta testing. You can download it using OTA (Over-The-Air) method by entering http://tapatalk.com/bb in the BlackBerry Browser. For feature request or bug report, please submit to our community support forum.

Nokia Link
Or direct download from your Nokia device by entering http://tapatalk.com/nokia/tapatalk.dm in Nokia web browser.

Let me know! If the feedback is good, we can keep it going, if not, I can pull it down. I personally think it's easier to use than the standard mobile site; but that's just me. Also, I've only used it on Android.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
$2.99 for webOS. Free version is read-only. I'll just stick with what I do now (which is view the full site anyway). Sounds interesting though...

dmc

Posting with it now. Very nice interface.

wa-loaf

One of things I really like about Tapatalk is the ability to add pictures on the fly - so next time you are on the slopes you can snap a photo with your smartphone and add it to a thread immediately.

This part is cool, but there really should be a free/demo version to try out. Not sure I want to pay $3 just to read the forum.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This part is cool, but there really should be a free/demo version to try out. Not sure I want to pay $3 just to read the forum.

Yeah, that's the only downside. The good thing is that it's totally optional, anyone can continue to use the normal mobile site just like it existed before. Options! 8)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was using it all day today and yesterday and it worked really well, I really do like the ability to take photos and directly put them online.

planb420

Umm 2.96 more cents than I would like to spend (Otherwise it would be awesome)....LOL I live by 1 rule in the app stores...."If its not for free its not for me!" :)

Glenn

Is there any way to enable a choice when you hit the forum with a mobile device or iPad? On my Blackberry...I like the mobile site. On the iPad though, I wish I could view the regualr site. It plops me to the mobile site every time.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Is there any way to enable a choice when you hit the forum with a mobile device or iPad? On my Blackberry...I like the mobile site. On the iPad though, I wish I could view the regualr site. It plops me to the mobile site every time.

I'll see what I can figure out today.

dmc

Umm 2.96 more cents than I would like to spend (Otherwise it would be awesome)....LOL I live by 1 rule in the app stores...."If its not for free its not for me!" :)

You missing out on a lot of good cheap software..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't mind paying for stuff that is good. I've got a few paid apps on my phone... Tapatalk is one. some other apps I have paid for:

Bedside which is what I use for an alarm clock
ROM Manager
Setting Profiles which automatically turns off my ringers when i get to work, turns on bluetooth when I'm driving, etc.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool, thanks. I appreciate it. 8)

A quick search this morning... apparently the mobile browser on the iPad is Safari but is identified as a mobile browser. A few recommendations said try a different browser on the iPad.

That's probably not ideal but might provide a stop gap. I'll keep digging around.