• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Chair Lift Accident

catskillman

It should be a life time season pass. Hunter has always done a great job in keeping things out of the news. Remember a few years ago when the maintenance worker died or Bobby who fell of the lift tower.

dmc

It should be a life time season pass. Hunter has always done a great job in keeping things out of the news. Remember a few years ago when the maintenance worker died or Bobby who fell of the lift tower.

Can you blame them? in this litigious society we live in - anything can add wood to the lawsuit fire..

Plus - the whole Sunday river thing just made this a big news item...
Nobody needs that..

i was happy as hell back in the day before the internet told me about every damn issue at a ski area... Fact is... Chairs rarely fall.. Shit happens..

These folks were off the lift in under 30 minutes - ski patrol perform flawlessly... Everything was ok.. They were offered something and now they feel the need to jump on every internet ski site and tell the harrowing story.. if i was offered a season pass - I'd just take it and shut up..

Eski

Can you blame them? in this litigious society we live in - anything can add wood to the lawsuit fire..

Nobody needs that..

i was happy as hell back in the day before the internet told me about every damn issue at a ski area... Fact is... Chairs rarely fall.. Shit happens..

These folks were off the lift in under 30 minutes - ski patrol perform flawlessly... Everything was ok.. They were offered something and now they feel the need to jump on every internet ski site and tell the harrowing story.. if i was offered a season pass - I'd just take it and shut up..
I've got no problem with people reporting facts, good or bad, isn't this what all of these sites are for, sharing views, news and opinions?
if they were offered something and signed a no talk clause, then it's a different story, otherwise, talk/write away ...

Black Phantom

Nobody needs that..

What happened at Sunday River?

dmc

I've got no problem with people reporting facts, good or bad, isn't this what all of these sites are for, sharing views, news and opinions?
if they were offered something and signed a no talk clause, then it's a different story, otherwise, talk/write away ...

right.. But I'm sure if it was revealed that there was a no talk clause and it got out people would be complaining about that as well..

We may never know what happened with Hunter Management. But I do know that I've seen her posts on other sites that she became a member just to tell her story.. And I'm sure it doesn't make the Hunter PR people very happy..

dmc

Really? I thought you were all about truth in reporting and not spreading rumors?:oops:

I messed up it was at Sugarloaf. But it did happen and it was big national news.. And they did an awesome job of evacuating the lift.

gmcunni

lucky for Hunter the Southwest Airlines incident has grabbed all the "oops, we didn't do a good job maintaining our equipment" headlines.

catskillman

The couple was offered $100 - everyone else stuck on the chair was give $10 off their next visit. An extra $90 for that ordeal. No wonder they turned it down.

dmc

The couple was offered $100 - everyone else stuck on the chair was give $10 off their next visit. An extra $90 for that ordeal. No wonder they turned it down.

I heard they were offered and took season passes.. and then went out a told the story on every website she could find.. Begging for pictures...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I believe they were offered season passes.. But I'm not 100% sure... Because the are "carpet bombing" the internet with their story.. Which seems weird if it's been resolved..

I wish I was on that chair.. I'd have a cool story and a season pass.

No kidding, right :idea:. I would have tried to work "unlimited rounds at the bar next season" into the deal. :beer:

IF there is a valid reason for a suit due to negligence, than shame on the operator ... I'm hopeful this is not the case here. I place trust in these lift systems and those who operate them on pretty much a daily basis and would hate to learn otherwise
+1. Sometimes I get on some of the lifts that are older then I am and have to remind myself at how much engineering goes into it. As long as they are well maintained...

gmcunni

As long as they are well maintained...

that's the key. is it a coincidence that the chair that failed was on a lift is being torn down this summer?

major props to the Hunter Ski Patrol for an A+ in response and execution of the evac. i know SP gets poked fun at by some people around here but good to know they are around and well trained when you need them.

dmc

that's the key. is it a coincidence that the chair that failed was on a lift is being torn down this summer?

that lift was inspected last summer.. All the chairs were taken down and everything..

It's just time to go.. i hope they auction off the chairs.. that another rumor...

catskillman

I heard they were offered and took season passes.. and then went out a told the story on every website she could find.. Begging for pictures...

I was introduced to the couple on Saturday at the deck party (which was very entertaining by the way) - long time Hunter skiers and will continue to be. Nice couple but still rattled over the experienc, as anyone would be. At that time they had only been offered the $100.........

dmc

I was introduced to the couple on Saturday at the deck party (which was very entertaining by the way) - long time Hunter skiers and will continue to be. Nice couple but still rattled over the experienc, as anyone would be. At that time they had only been offered the $100.........

Cool... yeah it was a fun day.. we were raging!

Thats different from what I've heard.. But they would know better then anybody I guess..
just seems odd based upon who the people I've heard this from.

glad thy are OK... And enjoying!

abc

They didn't start the thread on this board. It was already started and they asked for pictures. In any case, if the pass wasn't linked to "no talk" agreement, they're free to talk. They didn't blame the resort (not on this board anyway). Just gave detail of the incident. There's a difference.

I for one, am happy to see it reported. Whether it's by the original victim or bystanders.

Yup its like chair lifts have a mind and they know they are going to be replaced. Many years ago when Belleayre's double chair lift 6 was scheduled to be dismantled, Lift 6 would have all these ghost stops and then one day it made ski patrol do a lift EVAC. At least you can still ride Belleayre's old double lift 6 at Plattekill.

word is that Y & Z did not pass the state inspection and are condemmed effective May 1.
Then clearly not a coincident. What prompted the removal was precisely because they're no longer safe.

catskillman

i hope they auction off the chairs.. that another rumor...

They auctioned off one of the chairs at the Pig Roast for the Racing Foundation, coincidentaly the same day as the accident. The bidding (silent auction) was up to $250 when I was there but I have no idea what it ended up selling for.