• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Chair Lift Accident

dmc

Then clearly not a coincident. What prompted the removal was precisely because they're no longer safe.

How can you say that? It was scheduled to go 2 summers ago when this whole thing was planned..

Did they look into the future and see one weld on all the trails fail 2 years ago?

dmc

They didn't start the thread on this board. It was already started and they asked for pictures. In any case, if the pass wasn't linked to "no talk" agreement, they're free to talk. They didn't blame the resort (not on this board anyway). Just gave detail of the incident. There's a difference.

I for one, am happy to see it reported. Whether it's by the original victim or bystanders.

Of course it should be reported..
But they are on other sites looking for pictures too.. And they just came here to post about the experience and I highly doubt they will post again.. just seems odd.. Why not go to CNN if you want your story out...

I'm terrified of lawsuits and prices going up.. I really am..

gmcunni

But they are on other sites looking for pictures too.. .

people have many motives for pictures DMC. i broke my collar bone in a sporting event, my father's first question was "are you ok?" and his second question was "did anyone catch it on tape?"

dmc

people have many motives for pictures DMC. i broke my collar bone in a sporting event, my father's first question was "are you ok?" and his second question was "did anyone catch it on tape?"

Indeed they do.. I'm just nervous.. Thats all.. We haven't had a real season pass increase in a while and that makes lots of my friends happy.... And things seem to be moving in a good direction as far as lifts and expansion..

I'm just nervous..

Eski

regardless of any implied motives, I know if it were I on that lift, I would love to have some pics or vids too ... hell, I wasn't even on the lift and took a couple of shots simple due to the gawk factor ... after all, it was an amazing sight to witness and would mean even more to experience it from the riders seat ... so glad lady luck and ski patrol did what they do best ;-)

Black Phantom

regardless of any implied motives, I know if it were I on that lift, I would love to have some pics or vids too ... hell, I wasn't even on the lift and took a couple of shots simple due to the gawk factor ... after all, it was an amazing sight to witness and would mean even more to experience it from the riders seat ... so glad lady luck and ski patrol did what they do best ;-)

Excellent post. :flag:

I would be worried to ride a chair lift at Hunter after that. They are lucky to be alive and do not need to be ridiculed.

abc

I wish they would've talked about what the hill actually offered them. Or even stayed around to participate in the conversation. Wonder why they stopped?
Maybe the problem being they weren't offered much!

If I were scared shitless for 1/2 hr, been offered an insult ($100) for my experience. Then all over the internet that I got a free season pass as compensation, I'd be tempted to see a lawyer to see what I can actually get compensated for!

People assume they got compensated. That plants in their mind they're entitled to (more than $100) compensation. If they haven't got it, I wouldn't be surprised they'd be starting to look for it now.

ed-drum

I was on the lift when it happened, up further below tower 5. The broken chair was by tower 3. We didn't know what was going on for at least 20 minutes. Then we got word that a chair broke. We ALL got worried that somebody got hurt. Then we waited to see the chair when we finally got to the top. And then EVERYONE freaked out. The ski patrol came and marked all the day trippers lift tickets for ten dollars off of their next visit. As a season pass holder, they gave me a voucher for a cocoa OR a cookie. I'd rather get the 10 bucks. They offered the two people on the broken chair $100.00 each. The next day, I said to the head of lift operations that I wasn't getting on the Z lift anymore, and she said "I don't blame you.". Then I found out that they inspected every 3rd chair, not all of them. I woke up in a sweat the night it happened with that broken chair on my mind. To those who are worried that a lawsuit will raise prices, Hunter has gotten sued at least 10 times in the past 10 years and doesn't affect lift prices that much. That's why they have INSURANCE. Windham gets sued more than Hunter, that's for sure. But then, I guess Windham has more stupid lawyers as guests. Hunter is NOT perfect, as is any ski area, but to have a lift sitting outside for over 40 years and painting over the welds when they rust from the inside is not a good idea.

ed-drum

No, Hunter is NOT self insured. I should know, for I got hurt there. They were VERY nice to me, compensated me for my injury and fixed the problem so nobody else will get hurt. Where do people get these "facts"? They have the mountain set up for limited liability. Each part of the mountain is a separate entity. Each part is named as "Presidents' ski bowl", "Shanty Hollow", etc. Even the lodge is it's own corporation, so they only have to pay what the section is worth at the maximum value of the land and buildings on it. The lodge is valued at $5,000,000 for example.

jaja111

......... I'd be tempted to see a lawyer to see what I can actually get compensated for!.........

And then that attorney would tell you to immediately cease any talk of what happened with anyone, especially the internet. I am consistently amazed how many people involved, or are about to be involved in litigation say incredibly damaging things on the net believing it has the same weight and permanence as a conversation in an alley way.

ed-drum

I don't have the inclination to sue anyone, so don't be presumptuous. But it really freaked everyone out. I saw it first hand not just pix. (It's, "shave..haircut... two bits". That's how they teach clave rhythm to beginning percussionists.)

NYSkibum

Frozen

I just rented Frozen. It's about 2 snowboarders stranded on a lift overnight. Everyone who posted on this topic would appreciate the movie.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Ditto its a good story lol since no one was hurt

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

catskillman

the latest story is the chair did not break at the weld - the "pin"vcame out and 3 others have been found with the same issue.

I did not see the chair so I cannot offer an opinion, that is just the latest story out there, and I am sure there will be others. There always is.

Thank the Lord (again) that no one got hurt.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just rented Frozen. It's about 2 snowboarders stranded on a lift overnight. Everyone who posted on this topic would appreciate the movie.

I saw that a couple months back, it was kinda ridiculous. It got fairly boring and repetative, I thought. Like that movie Open water.