• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Chair Lift Accident

catskillman

Yesterday a chair on the Z lift broke at the weld - while someone was on it! Anyone have a photo?

dmc

I saw some photos. - talked to the patroller involved.. No issues - people are ok and in good spirits. they just removed the chair - first I've evr seen something like that for sure..

i rode the Z after it happened - no lift issues.. Well until the 6pack broke down at 330..

We joked that Hunter is just jumping the gun on taking the lift down..

BenedictGomez

Well that's friggin' frightening. Good thing it didnt happen from high up or they would've owned Hunter (assuming the lived of course).

millerm277

Chair 123. I was on the Z today and caught the new "gap" caused by it being missing.

Eski

I took a couple of pics, it was all handled pretty quickly ... rode that gap as well today ... the 6-pack did run again til 5 as well as the F lift (saturday)

catskills

Its just pissed off that its being replaced...
Yup its like chair lifts have a mind and they know they are going to be replaced. Many years ago when Belleayre's double chair lift 6 was scheduled to be dismantled, Lift 6 would have all these ghost stops and then one day it made ski patrol do a lift EVAC. At least you can still ride Belleayre's old double lift 6 at Plattekill.

Anyone know if Hunter's z-Lift is being moved to another resort?

catskillman

word is that Y & Z did not pass the state inspection and are condemmed effective May 1. They state agreed to give them 1 more year on the lifts but this is it. This is what forced the 6 pack purchase and the relo of the quad.

I also heard that clearing has started for glade skiing on the west side. I figured that was for the quad.

dmc

I also heard that clearing has started for glade skiing on the west side. I figured that was for the quad.

yeah.... they really made a dent on the woods between Lower Taylors and Clairs..

catskills

Did Hunter One's E-LIFT build in 1968 pass ? I actually like to ride the old E-LIFT at least once a year.

legalskier

word is that Y & Z did not pass the state inspection and are condemmed effective May 1.

If they based the rating of Z lift on comfort level it would have been condemned years ago. It can barely fit two adults, the bar hits you on the head when it comes down, and forget about using the foot rest if you're taller than 4'11". I needed an adjustment from the chiropractor every day I rode it. It must have been built by hobbits and imported from the Shire. That's the price we've had to pay to get to that great terrain. Goodbye Z lift, don't let the door hit ya.
There, I said it. Feel much better now. Rant over.

dmc

If they based the rating of Z lift on comfort level it would have been condemned years ago. It can barely fit two adults, the bar hits you on the head when it comes down, and forget about using the foot rest if you're taller than 4'11". I needed an adjustment from the chiropractor every day I rode it. It must have been built by hobbits and imported from the Shire. That's the price we've had to pay to get to that great terrain. Goodbye Z lift, don't let the door hit ya.
There, I said it. Feel much better now. Rant over.

I called it the Hervé Villechaize memorial chairlift.

tattoo-fantasy-island_l1.jpg

zliftsurvivor

I was one of the two on the Z when the right sidebar came off on Sat. Thank goodness the other side did not break off also but I can't believe they kept the z lift running afterwards. We did get back out there and stayed on the Flyer (until that broke down), then jumped over to the F. Too bad since we had a great couple of runs on Annapurna right before we got on the now retired Chair 62.

If anyone has photos or video, please send me a message. I'm sure you can understand we were preoccupied holding on to dear life to capture the moment. We'll be there again for the last weekend, but don't know if we're going to push our luck by getting on the Z again. I think I can wait for the quad.

catskillman

The right sidebar? WOW - This is differant than the story going around (not that I am surprised)

Were you tilted to the right and sliding that way? Did it just happen or did you feel/hear it giving away.

Glad everyone is OK - it could have been ugly

kingslug

The only thing that will suck when they put the new lift in is......even more yutzes will be yardsaling down Clairs ..at the same time now...at least the Z kept the numbers down..oy..

dmc

The only thing that will suck when they put the new lift in is......even more yutzes will be yardsaling down Clairs ..at the same time now...at least the Z kept the numbers down..oy..

I've been hearing a new trail for the "yutzes" that will be a intermediate alternative on the West.. I couldn't quite figure it out based upon what i was told.. But it could happen... Where - I have no clue. But he seemed to say it going to wind down to Wayout somehow..