Running...anyone? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I started running in late 2009. I'll be running the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks, my first marathon. I've done a few half marathons and many long training runs this winter. After the marathon I'll switch back to trail runs on the weekends to combine with long dayhikes.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    I started running a lot last year, but I didn't do more than a 5k as far as races go. Starting to pick it up again this spring, but I need to work into it so my joints get used to it. Don't need to start out with any injuries. When the weather gets consistently better I'll pick up the pace and miles (well as far as I'm concerned anyway ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    I didn't want to say anything, when I first read Stef's post here...but, since you brought it up and opened the Door, Wa-loaf...running just hurts my body. If I'm going to screw up my knees and other joints, its going to be on a ski slope not running.

I also don't really have a runner's body....But I do love making myself suffer on a bike!
    Thanks for not leaving me hangin

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    I started running in late 2009. I'll be running the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks, my first marathon. I've done a few half marathons and many long training runs this winter. After the marathon I'll switch back to trail runs on the weekends to combine with long dayhikes.
    congrats and good luck on your first marathon!! I have run numerous half's and only one full (the Hartford Marathon) which while I feel very accomplished about Oprah Winfrey still beat me by 1 minute or something close to it. gr. Trail running is really my forte as well as I feel guilty going out for a run without taking my dog and letting him run around like a maniac for an hour or so.

What kind of training did you do over the winter (grin and bear the cold)? Hartford Marathon was in the fall so that made it a lot easier for summer training and not having to do long runs on a treadmill.. I remember when I was younger my father used to take us on 3 day hiking trips in VT and I was deemed "food carrier." He would take me to the local reservoirs and fill my backpack up with stones and make me carry them around for hours and slowly take stones out as we would be "slowly eating food" on the hike. I think sometimes he'd even say "BEAR!" and make me drop the backpack...

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Awesome! I ran the Boston Marathon in 2005 and 2009, in 2009 with my wife. I did 2005 in 4:09 and 2008 in 5:10.

Both times I got in through passes through friends, I'm definitely not fast enough to qualify. 2005 was with the military (they gave out X number of passes to people in the national guard) and in 2008 I just happened to know the guy who created the chip on the shoe that tracks you.

Have fun... it's an amazing experience. I think I'm done with marathons (that training is brutal!) but it's just incredible.

Here's us at the end. It was friggen freezing that day.

Last time I ran a Marathon, long long time ago:

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post

You're the guy in the red bib behind the geek with the headband?

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    You're the guy in the red bib behind the geek with the headband?

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee View Post

Items for Sale
    Can't do the long distance stuff....attacking my slight offset in leg length in skiing and hiking is enough work!
    Haven't tried any long run of late...even with orthotic...but anyways..local uphill sprints...together with climbs, hikes and portages through the woods are my bag these days.
    Last edited by bigbog; Apr 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM.
    SteveD

Thread Information