• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...anyone?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I got a time of 35:30 and Iceman got 20:50, both PBs

Good job!

Iceman's a quick pace. I could probably run 7:15 minute miles for 3 miles max. I think I can do about 7:30 for up to 5 miles or so. Then it gets a lot slower.

Under 7 is real fast in my book ... I feel like I'm at a wall with that pace. I've had a hard time getting below 7:30 for consecutive miles.

o3jeff

With all this hype about running I decide instead of just walking every night I would add in some running. The only draw back is now I think I am getting shin splints!

wa-loaf

With all this hype about running I decide instead of just walking every night I would add in some running. The only draw back is now I think I am getting shin splints!

Start a Couch to 5k program, gets you into running gently mixing walking and running. Helps stave off injuries from running too much too soon. You can even find C25K apps for your phone.

hammer

Good job!

Iceman's a quick pace. I could probably run 7:15 minute miles for 3 miles max. I think I can do about 7:30 for up to 5 miles or so. Then it gets a lot slower.

Under 7 is real fast in my book ... I feel like I'm at a wall with that pace. I've had a hard time getting below 7:30 for consecutive miles.
I remember during my college days when, without training, I could run a 7:00 mile no problem (used to do the required ROTC 1.5 mile run in just over 10:00). Now I'd be lucky to keep a running pace for that distance...:-(

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Shin splints suck. I find that strengthening the muscles and connective tissues on the front of your shins helps prevent them. I have successfully used a good exercise for this at night, when getting in bed.
Lie on your stomach and hang your feet just over the end of the bed. Curl your feet toward you using the mattress as resistance and release. Do two reps of 50. You will feel the burn in the narrow long muscle that runs along the outer edge of your shin (aka tibialis anterior). Strengthening this muscle and its associated connective tissues help stabilize them and the tibia bone thus reducing the occurrence of shin splints.

o3jeff

Shin splints suck. I find that strengthening the muscles and connective tissues on the front of your shins helps prevent them. I have successfully used a good exercise for this at night, when getting in bed.
Lie on your stomach and hang your feet just over the end of the bed. Curl your feet toward you using the mattress as resistance and release. Do two reps of 50. You will feel the burn in the narrow long muscle that runs along the outer edge of your shin (aka tibialis anterior). Strengthening this muscle and its associated connective tissues help stabilize them and the tibia bone thus reducing the occurrence of shin splints.

Thanks! Will try this.

bvibert

Staff member
Start a Couch to 5k program, gets you into running gently mixing walking and running. Helps stave off injuries from running too much too soon. You can even find C25K apps for your phone.

I downloaded a C25K app a month ago or so, but that's as far as I got. :lol:

SkiDork

Iceman and I did a 5K on 6/23 and I got 35:30 - he got 20:50.

I've been experimenting with my stance the past few times out, it seems if I stand up staighter I can stride better and I feel like I have more speed.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, I hunch when I run.

I did 5 miles last night in 37:30, 7.5 minute miles. I was wiped by the end. I used to keep that pace up for 8 miles, not any more.

drjeff

Did my 5AM 5 miler this morning. Beautiful morning out there today - about 60 degrees and no humidity during my 41 minutes on my local track :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nice!

I did a 4.6 miler on the treadmill today. Mostly to work off the crap I ate over the last 3 days of traveling :roll:

SkiDork

he ended up 10th but said he thought it was a 5K instead of a 1.5 mile and was throttling back. But becuase he was top 10 he goes to Philly to compete on Saturday

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome..I'm thinking about running the Apple harvest road race in Southington, CT if I can make it down, otherwise looking forward to spending more time on the trails with my dog now that the leaves are changing in VT. Ahh..the Great Outdoors!!