• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...anyone?

o3jeff

Awesome..I'm thinking about running the Apple harvest road race in Southington, CT if I can make it down, otherwise looking forward to spending more time on the trails with my dog now that the leaves are changing in VT. Ahh..the Great Outdoors!!

People outside of Southington actually know there is a road race during the festival? Most just know about the fritters!

hammer

Started running several weeks ago, just up to about 2 miles/day when I don't have other workouts. Have seen significant improvement in my times which I'm guessing is due to the initial process of getting used to running. The town has a 5K run in a few weeks and I'll run the course on Sunday to see if I'm up for it. Short distance compared to others here but it's a start.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It starts really fast. I did 4 miles this morning and 5 on Saturday (on the treadmill). I was donig P90x for a while but it's been more difficult to get out of bed in the morning with the sun not rising until 7AM!!

drjeff

My crappiest running season of my life this year :(

Started off very well transitioning off the treadmill and onto the roads last spring. I was running 3x a week on average with a mix of 5 to 10k's depending on how much time I had and if I was looking to do some speed work.

Ended up buying a new treadmill in early June (even in the summer, I still run on the treadmill atleast once a week, since my wife gets up at 4:55 every Mon, Wed, and Fri to drive to the local YMCA to swim with the local Masters's swim team, and I head for my basement while the kids are still asleep and get an early AM workout in on those days year round). Basically looking back on it, I got caught up with runner's high checking out all the neat bells and whistles on my new treadmill (integrated Google Maps runs sync'd to automatic incline/decline adjustment as the video screen had me running along say the Road to Hana on Maui is a very cool feature IMHO ;) ) Ended up with sciatica like pain in my right leg in mid June - took until basically Labor day until that pain resolved, and since then have been nursing a case of shin splints :mad:

Very frustrating, as I really do enjoy running, and haven't been to run with any type of consistency now for close heading on 5 months - if it wasn't for cycling and my Skier's Edge machine to give me some type of regular excercise enduced endorphin dump these last few months, I think my wife might have killed me ;) :lol:

SKIQUATTRO

on 'taper' mode now as the marathon is nov 4...strained my L hip flexor last weekend running 21mi....resting this week, will put some low miles in next to stay loose....

bigbog

I cannot do a marathon. Something in the hips(got sideswiped by car as a young kid..vagely remember) registers pain at about ~10mi...but would probably be better when in tip top shape. Mucho tahnks to from_the_NEK for that shin tendon exercise..a year+ back = has really helped. Everything in the "City Forest" is unpaved which is so nice on the joints/shins/hips..etc.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
on 'taper' mode now as the marathon is nov 4...strained my L hip flexor last weekend running 21mi....resting this week, will put some low miles in next to stay loose....

Which Marathon? I ran Boston twice, once with my wife (didn't qualify ... got in through other means ;) ( and Ski Stef ran the Hartford marathon.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
good luck in the NYC marathon!

I've ran one marathan and probably over half a dozen halfs... i can't bring myself to do another full one. If someone close to me was interested in doing one I would join, but i don't think i could sign myself up for that again on my own, unless it was a destination marathon, that i would do.

My running has seriously tapered since the Ragnar. I'm starting to miss it again, but I woke up this morning and it was 18 degrees and like 6 inches of snow... brrrrrrrr. maybe this weekend ill try to do a longer run (those for me these days are anything over 4 miles.)

hammer

Started running several weeks ago, just up to about 2 miles/day when I don't have other workouts. Have seen significant improvement in my times which I'm guessing is due to the initial process of getting used to running. The town has a 5K run in a few weeks and I'll run the course on Sunday to see if I'm up for it. Short distance compared to others here but it's a start.
Signed up for the 5K, ran the course last week and did fine. Also did a 3.6 mile run yesterday which will likely be my workout run for a while. Not too bad considering I started up with 1.5 mile runs about a month ago which I barely made without stopping. Just hoping I can keep it up when the weather gets colder...still not at the enjoyable level but I'm seeing real fitness benefits.

SKIQUATTRO

bittersweet that NYC was cancelled but it was the right call. Still no word from NYRR on how they are going to handle our entries/fee for next year....race fee $250

aeglazier

I heard they're opening up the Boston Marathon for some NYC runners this year. Have you heard anything about that? If so, I think it's going to be a huge year in Boston, with some NYC-ers and some Bostoners who deferred from last years hellish heat. Might be an interesting race, though, and is always a great day in Boston.

AinWonderland

Ski Stef-
I will do the half marathon with you in May!! It is a good goal to set for myself since I am dying to get back into top shape!