• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...anyone?

SKIQUATTRO

NYC finally came out with some options for this years canceled race:
1. Full Refund and you go back into the lottery
or
2. G'teed entry in 2013 or 2014 or 2015 marathon and you still have to pay the entry fee again (so now you'll be into a race for close to $500)
or
3. G'teed entry into the 2012 half marathon and you have to pay all fees again.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
A friend of mine whom I work with went running 3 miles yesterday in the 0 degree temperature ... wearing just a T-shirt and track pants. WTF!

aeglazier

Does anyone know of a good 50k in New England mid-April to late May? I've been looking everywhere and can only find the Don't Run Boston and TARC run. I really want to do a 50k this year but want to get it in before summer hits (wedding season).

hammer

Been getting out on a regular basis since late March...pace is still slower than I'd like (about 9:00/mile) but I've built up morning runs to just over 4 miles. Did try to do a 10K run a few weeks ago but I set my pace too fast and the heat got to me, had to stop and walk just before the end. Want to sign up for a 10K in the fall.

Have not had any significant injuries, a few possible muscle pulls and I may be having some sciatica-related pain (get the wallet out of the back pocket for a while). Have found that having the right shoes and paying some attention to running form helps to reduce impact stresses.

Can't complain since last September I would have been gasping after a 0.5 mile run around the block...

hammer

So I just started running myself... I am doing about 2 miles in 22 minutes give or take. not a runner, or a biker, but I think that is a good time...

You're going faster than everyone who is on the couch.

+1

When I started in the fall I felt good that I could run 1.5 miles without stopping...

Key to me is to keep getting out there, stay injury-free, and to try to improve with each run (improvement does not equal faster times IMO). For me the hardest part of each run is the first step.

hammer

Cool weather this morning was real nice for a run, almost had to wear gloves. Know it's a bit early but I'm hoping that the heat and humidity is done for the year.

LiquidFeet

Constant lurker here....

I've been trail running all this summer, 4-5 days per week. 3-5 miles per run. Slow, but speed's not my focus. Working on proprioception in preparation for ski season. Where are my feet landing relative to the hips? How far ahead is my vision, considering the technical single-track obstacles coming up (rocks, roots, loose gravel) - am I looking ahead, and can I look more ahead without taking a peak right in front of my next landing? Is backwards extension complete off that propelling leg? How about cornering - using that little toe edge of the inside foot? Leading with the inside half? What about leaping; can I target two to three landing spots ahead of time? All this is good for bump skiing, and everything else too. Not to mention getting fit and losing a few pounds.

hammer

Running a 10K race on Sunday...

Been running 4x/week for some time and I've been doing 6 mile runs once a week for about 2 months so I'm not too concerned about finishing, but I have a goal pace in mind. Hoping for cool weather.

bigbog

Waffle between brisk walk and LiquidFeet's style....no timer, but it's great around on the City(Bangor) Forest trails/sm_roads....all dirt.
One constant = getting out there before 6am.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just did the Blackstone Valley Greenway Challenge, it was a good time. A relay between Worcester and Providence.

Comprised of:

4 mile run
3 mile kayak
16 mile road bike
5 mile mountain bike
2 mile kayak
19 mile bike
6 mile run

Our 3rd leg bike guy popped a tire and then popped the replacement so we had to skip that stage which disqualified us from the final rankings (wahh).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I only did the first 4 mile run section. I would have loved to have done the mt bike but my bike is in very rough shape :lol: