• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...anyone?

hammer

Have had to take a hopefully short break this week...sidelined by minor injury.

After running a 10K race on Sunday the 29th (very happy with the time, beat goal by over a minute) my right ankle felt a bit off and instead of slowing down I kept up with my regular morning runs. Mistake...by the Friday run I was limping through (still kept a decent pace) and I tried a quick run on Sunday but spent most of that hobbling along as well.

Know it needs a rest to heal but I feel lazy. There are a few 5K races I want to do next month, hoping I can get back up to speed quickly.

hammer

In week 4 of a training plan for my first half marathon...long runs are now at/over 10 miles. Have to resist the temptation to try running faster than I should, although for the long runs that certainly isn't an issue. Know a lot of folks are more hard core (I'd like to pace out at a "leisurely" 10:00/mile but finishing is the top priority) but any experiences with training would be useful.

hammer

Got in just under 122 miles in May. Will be hard to match that distance in June because I'll be on vacation one week and getting training runs in will be a challenge. This coming Sunday's long run will be 13 miles and I'm not concerned about making it...as long as I go slow enough.

Do not see myself running more than one half marathon, the time requirements for all of the training are just a bit much. I'm already far enough behind on the DIY projects as it is and there's camping to be done as well...

I just received a Garmin Forerunner10 runners watch for my birthday! While I haven't taken it out yet, it looks like I can finally track speed, distance etc... Hopefully I can put it to good use this summer while training for hockey and of course skiing.

I'm looking to get a few good 10k's in this summer.

hammer

Actually got in more miles in June than in May (129.3) but it was mainly due to a 14 miler on Sunday. That last long run was tough...got out too late in the morning and was overheated and had to briefly walk at about mile 12. Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger...

I'm determined to run the half marathon race but I just do not see how people can do marathon training and have a life...even getting in the 30-35 miles a week for the HM training is a real time suck.

bigbog

Not in any event...but is great around 4:30-5am in summer....more like between brisk walk-jog-run.
Have to force myself to get out before the temps heat up and any bugs wake up, but the headnet is always nearby.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just started doing p90x3 about 6 weeks ago. Not super consistently but regularly. And I feel great again. My diet sucks but the workouts are really good, and only 30 min a day which is much easier than the full hour p90x the original requires. Lots of squats and leg workouts that will be really good for skiing.

JDMRoma

I just started doing p90x3 about 6 weeks ago. Not super consistently but regularly. And I feel great again. My diet sucks but the workouts are really good, and only 30 min a day which is much easier than the full hour p90x the original requires. Lots of squats and leg workouts that will be really good for skiing.

I wish I would have waited for X3, I like the original but yes its time consuming.....but gets the job done if you eat clean. Im doing T25 right now, cant say Im as motivated with Saun T as I am with Tony but its a decent 30 minute workout.My problem is consistency right now........
The squats and working your core / In plank really works you out...yes should be great for skiing !

I may return to P90x with Insanity for my cardio if I cant stay focused with T25.....

hammer

HM is in 2 weeks...the organizers changed the course and the new course doesn't have the killer hill the original one did. No complaints.

Should be able to run the distance no problem, have run at/over HM distance in training 4 times. Getting my run time faster than a jog...not so sure about that.

Do think I'll stick to 10K or 10 mile races after this though. Need to get some more time on strength training.

moresnow

HM is in 2 weeks...the organizers changed the course and the new course doesn't have the killer hill the original one did. No complaints.

Should be able to run the distance no problem, have run at/over HM distance in training 4 times. Getting my run time faster than a jog...not so sure about that.

Do think I'll stick to 10K or 10 mile races after this though. Need to get some more time on strength training.

Good luck in your half, and more importantly have fun.

I am a fan of 10 milers. It's a nice combo of speed and endurance. It's probably a bit out of the way for you but there is a beautiful race put on by the Mohonk Preserve in the fall. http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/pptp

I personally find hill repeats great strength training. They have an added bonus of make the bumps seem much easier in the winter.

skiNEwhere

I wish I would have waited for X3, I like the original but yes its time consuming.....but gets the job done if you eat clean. Im doing T25 right now, cant say Im as motivated with Saun T as I am with Tony but its a decent 30 minute workout.My problem is consistency right now........
The squats and working your core / In plank really works you out...yes should be great for skiing !

I may return to P90x with Insanity for my cardio if I cant stay focused with T25.....

Been doing Inasnity and following it to a T, just finished week 4 yesterday and thankfully have a day off, as my shins are killing me. I haven't really lost any weight though, some days I eat alright, others, not so much, but I can tell I'm building muscle so I guess that's what is important.

JDMRoma

Been doing Inasnity and following it to a T, just finished week 4 yesterday and thankfully have a day off, as my shins are killing me. I haven't really lost any weight though, some days I eat alright, others, not so much, but I can tell I'm building muscle so I guess that's what is important.

Cool, making it that far is pretty good......I hear the 2nd month is killer. My only complaint with insanity is it is tough on the knee's and ankles....good sneakers and lots of extra stretching should help !
Just started my 1st recovery week of p90x this week...feels good getting back to a workout program again.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So I've been busting my a$$ with P90X3 and occasionally running instead of just running.

Since June 7th I've lost 12 pounds. I've been very strict with my diet, eating anywhere from 1300 - 1500 calories a day, tracking with MyFitnessPal. (which, granted is pretty low). I cut out all drinking except on the weekends. My wife started doing Beachbody coaching part-time and got me hooked on Shakeology which I am now obsessed with. I drink it every morning (chocolate) blended with PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and iced coffee.

I still drink but only on the weekends now (fri, sat). I didn't do that great in South Carolina for 2 weeks (was eating up to 2700 a day a couple times) otherwise I think I'd be a little further ahead than I am now. But in South Carolinaa I was going for 7 - 8 miles per day of walks with the stroller and also doing various workouts (some T25 and some p90x3. I didn't have a pull up bar so I skipped those workouts).

Anyway I started at 196 and I'm down to 184 right now. I'm shooting for 175 - 178 or so, so I'm hoping I'll get there in a few more weeks.

P90X3 is only 30 minutes vs. the original P90X which is an hour and sometimes 1:20. With the two kids now the 30 minutes is so much more manageable and I think I'm still getting comporable results to when I did p90x3. I started doing only 3 - 4 pullups and now I'm up to 11 - 12.

I'm DETERMINED to get my legs into strong shape so I can comfortably ski a whole day this year. After my extremely lackluster year last year I can hardly wait to get in as many days as humanly possible this year.

Bring it!

Anyone interested in joining a p90x3 challenge group starting in mid-September? The program is 3 months long so that means it would end around mid December, perfect to be ready for ski season. I'm just finishing up the first round and am going to do it again afterwards.

@SkiNEWhere, Insanity is crazy. My wife did it a few years ago and was now doing T25 and it's so intense.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

I noticed that as well with T25. My calf muscles get such a workout because it's so much hopping around.

The weight thing is all about the diet. I started P90x3 in June and didn't lose a pound until I started controlling my diet in mid July. I still got stronger but didn't drop any weight at all. Once I got on the diet bandwagon (those first few days are so tough, but once you get through it then it gets so much easier) it started coming off about 2 - 3 lb a week.

Side note: I have a Withings Wi-fi scale at home. This is the last 2 months:

attachment.php

Here is the last 3 years. As you can see, consistency is my strong point haha.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 38

hammer

HM done, course was a bit on the tough side. Part was on a dirt road with lots of rocks, felt almost like I was trail running...which was a real challenge on the way back when I was tired. Was hoping for a 10:00 pace, didn't quite make that but I wasn't too far off. Nice thing about the first one is that it's a guaranteed PR. :smile:

Have a 10K I want to run in September and will see from there. 10 miles sounds like a nice race distance to shoot for as well.

Not sure about doing any taped workouts (P90, Insanity, etc.), how does that measure up to just trying to come up with a reasonable set of basic floor exercises? Not as concerned about cardio since the running takes care of that.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
HM done, course was a bit on the tough side. Part was on a dirt road with lots of rocks, felt almost like I was trail running...which was a real challenge on the way back when I was tired. Was hoping for a 10:00 pace, didn't quite make that but I wasn't too far off. Nice thing about the first one is that it's a guaranteed PR. :smile:

Have a 10K I want to run in September and will see from there. 10 miles sounds like a nice race distance to shoot for as well.

Not sure about doing any taped workouts (P90, Insanity, etc.), how does that measure up to just trying to come up with a reasonable set of basic floor exercises? Not as concerned about cardio since the running takes care of that.

I've tried just doing basic floor exercises but never had as much success. Running definitely doesn't do it for me (especially for skiing) when it comes to the requisite leg strength.

P90X3 is a lot of pushups, pullups, squats, lunges. It's deep leg motions, the kind you do when you ski. Also there is some flexibility and a lot of core stuff which I like. If you've never done it I would recommend trying it.

JDMRoma

I've tried just doing basic floor exercises but never had as much success. Running definitely doesn't do it for me (especially for skiing) when it comes to the requisite leg strength.

P90X3 is a lot of pushups, pullups, squats, lunges. It's deep leg motions, the kind you do when you ski. Also there is some flexibility and a lot of core stuff which I like. If you've never done it I would recommend trying it.

+1 on P90X3 or even just plain P90X....Im more interested in weights and cardio but you need both :)

P90x is more weightlifting 101 In my opinion....lifting days then cardio days ...Chest/Back Arms/ shoulders and then Legs and Back with Cardio / Yoga / Stretching in between lifting. Good stuff !

moresnow

Was hoping for a 10:00 pace, didn't quite make that but I wasn't too far off. Nice thing about the first one is that it's a guaranteed PR. [emoji2]

That's the way to do it. Never run the same distance twice, or at least never the same race. Guaranteed PR every time.

Running definitely doesn't do it for me (especially for skiing) when it comes to the requisite leg strength.

Run more hills. Hill repeats will make you stronger. Bonus points if you are on trail as opposed to road.