Running...anyone? - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Stef View Post
    Awesome..I'm thinking about running the Apple harvest road race in Southington, CT if I can make it down, otherwise looking forward to spending more time on the trails with my dog now that the leaves are changing in VT. Ahh..the Great Outdoors!!
    People outside of Southington actually know there is a road race during the festival? Most just know about the fritters!

2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    People outside of Southington actually know there is a road race during the festival? Most just know about the fritters!
    My best friend brought it up to me, she lives in Ellington. Now, about those fritters....

Started running several weeks ago, just up to about 2 miles/day when I don't have other workouts. Have seen significant improvement in my times which I'm guessing is due to the initial process of getting used to running. The town has a 5K run in a few weeks and I'll run the course on Sunday to see if I'm up for it. Short distance compared to others here but it's a start.

Stolen from a recent Ruminations:
    "You do realize that your runner's euphoria is your body telling you how happy it is that you didn't die?"

It starts really fast. I did 4 miles this morning and 5 on Saturday (on the treadmill). I was donig P90x for a while but it's been more difficult to get out of bed in the morning with the sun not rising until 7AM!!
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

My crappiest running season of my life this year

Started off very well transitioning off the treadmill and onto the roads last spring. I was running 3x a week on average with a mix of 5 to 10k's depending on how much time I had and if I was looking to do some speed work.

Ended up buying a new treadmill in early June (even in the summer, I still run on the treadmill atleast once a week, since my wife gets up at 4:55 every Mon, Wed, and Fri to drive to the local YMCA to swim with the local Masters's swim team, and I head for my basement while the kids are still asleep and get an early AM workout in on those days year round). Basically looking back on it, I got caught up with runner's high checking out all the neat bells and whistles on my new treadmill (integrated Google Maps runs sync'd to automatic incline/decline adjustment as the video screen had me running along say the Road to Hana on Maui is a very cool feature IMHO ) Ended up with sciatica like pain in my right leg in mid June - took until basically Labor day until that pain resolved, and since then have been nursing a case of shin splints

Very frustrating, as I really do enjoy running, and haven't been to run with any type of consistency now for close heading on 5 months - if it wasn't for cycling and my Skier's Edge machine to give me some type of regular excercise enduced endorphin dump these last few months, I think my wife might have killed me
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

on 'taper' mode now as the marathon is nov 4...strained my L hip flexor last weekend running 21mi....resting this week, will put some low miles in next to stay loose....
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Items for Sale
    I cannot do a marathon. Something in the hips(got sideswiped by car as a young kid..vagely remember) registers pain at about ~10mi...but would probably be better when in tip top shape. Mucho tahnks to from_the_NEK for that shin tendon exercise..a year+ back = has really helped. Everything in the "City Forest" is unpaved which is so nice on the joints/shins/hips..etc.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post
    on 'taper' mode now as the marathon is nov 4...strained my L hip flexor last weekend running 21mi....resting this week, will put some low miles in next to stay loose....
    Which Marathon? I ran Boston twice, once with my wife (didn't qualify ... got in through other means ( and Ski Stef ran the Hartford marathon.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Nyc
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Thread Information