Running...anyone? - Page 14

AlpineZone

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    I've been trying my best to get out 3x week but have only been running 3-4 miles each time. I'm trying to work myself back into running somewhat conservatively to avoid injury/burn-out.
    All good...you can always put in shorter runs in the week and make the weekend run a longer one, just force yourself to go slower (I know, easier said than done). I find I get a lot of useful conditioning when I stretch the time spent on a long weekend run.

I am on day 2 of a couch to 5k program. I gotta say, running sucks!
    I Love Apres'

I like it. With running you have to put your mind elsewhere. It's sort of zen-like for me. I kind of just focus on feet hitting the ground for 30 - 45 minutes or however long I go. If I actually think about the running it gets exhausting, lol.

I did 6.5 miles last Saturday which is the furthest I've run in about a year when I did an 8 miler. Just felt really good.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

if i could lose 40 pounds the running would be a lot easier
    Connecticut's only Double Black Diamond:
    Satan's Stairway
    Ski it if you can

shit happens, wear a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I like it. With running you have to put your mind elsewhere. It's sort of zen-like for me. I kind of just focus on feet hitting the ground for 30 - 45 minutes or however long I go. If I actually think about the running it gets exhausting, lol.

I did 6.5 miles last Saturday which is the furthest I've run in about a year when I did an 8 miler. Just felt really good.
    Doing that plus the P90? Nice...

I've cut back since the HM, long run last weekend was just over 10 miles but this weekend I think I'll scale it back to the length of my regular runs which have been at about 7 miles or so. I'm running a 10K race in 3 weeks and I don't want to short change myself. Figure if I keep the conditioning up I'll be able to run a strong race without getting hurt like I did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    I am on day 2 of a couch to 5k program. I gotta say, running sucks!
    When I started up a few years ago I thought the same thing. If you keep it up long enough and avoid injury it does get easier...but the initial adjustment is though.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    How do you make running enjoyable??? That's the $1,000,000 question for me. I do it, but I hate it! Listening to music helps, marginally at best though
    It took me 20 years of on and off trying (tons of cycling in between), but I finally like it. Just ran my first marathon and qualified for Boston. Don't plan on running many more marathons, though. Training gets grueling and I only went up to 50mpw for a couple of weeks.

Best thing is to go out with some sort of plan. Don't just run the same speed all of the time. Even if you just do a few strides, it makes it a lot better. For example, instead of just running 5 miles at a modest pace, mix in 5 sub-max 100 meter dashes. Next time do twenty minutes hard and the rest of the run super easy. Stuff like that will both make you faster and make it more interesting.

Finally, running is not the end all of fitness. It does nothing for strength or general posture. The older runner-only types never seem to look that good.

Thread Information