• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...anyone?

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still planning on skiing for as long as I can this spring but on Sunday, May 1st there is a half marathon in Middlebury, VT that I am signing up for. It is supposed to be a beautiful course and hopefully my dog will be able to participate with me too! ( I don't think its really allowed but he's completed the Manchester Maple Leaf Half marathon with me). I think I am doing this one solo so just curious if there are any other runners out there partcipating in other races coming up or if anyone is near Middlebury interested in something like this. Heck, just any other runners?

wa-loaf

I started running a lot last year, but I didn't do more than a 5k as far as races go. Starting to pick it up again this spring, but I need to work into it so my joints get used to it. Don't need to start out with any injuries. When the weather gets consistently better I'll pick up the pace and miles (well as far as I'm concerned anyway ...)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I started running a lot last year, but I didn't do more than a 5k as far as races go. Starting to pick it up again this spring, but I need to work into it so my joints get used to it. Don't need to start out with any injuries. When the weather gets consistently better I'll pick up the pace and miles (well as far as I'm concerned anyway ...)

I didn't want to say anything, when I first read Stef's post here...but, since you brought it up and opened the Door, Wa-loaf...running just hurts my body. If I'm going to screw up my knees and other joints, its going to be on a ski slope not running.

I also don't really have a runner's body....But I do love making myself suffer on a bike! :)

mondeo

I run on a treadmill when outside isn't conducive to excercise (like today,) the additional cushioning of the bed makes a big difference. If it's nice enough to run, I'd rather be on a bike anyways.

Warp Daddy

As a former track guy (decathlon) in college, I like to run but I'm more of a sprinter. I don't typically run more than 2 miles at a time.

My son a track and field and cross country athlete was All East in college and got me into it .

As a former football and hoops jock i didn't have a runner's build . When I ran i was too damn compulsive and ran year round everyday in all kinds of weather for 4/5 yrs and messed myself up with hip bursitis .So I gave it it up for road biking , golf and distance walking in the off season .

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
My son a track and field and cross country athlete was All East in college and got me into it .

As a former football and hoops jock i didn't have a runner's build . When I ran i was too damn compulsive and ran year round everyday in all kinds of weather for 4/5 yrs and messed myself up with hip bursitis .So I gave it it up for road biking , golf and distance walking in the off season .

I actually had to take a year off from any running after I got out of college. I had severe tendonitis in my hip flexor from too much hurdling. :-(

WoodCore

I'm still planning on skiing for as long as I can this spring but on Sunday, May 1st there is a half marathon in Middlebury, VT that I am signing up for. It is supposed to be a beautiful course and hopefully my dog will be able to participate with me too! ( I don't think its really allowed but he's completed the Manchester Maple Leaf Half marathon with me). I think I am doing this one solo so just curious if there are any other runners out there partcipating in other races coming up or if anyone is near Middlebury interested in something like this. Heck, just any other runners?

I'll point this thread out to MTN-FUN and have her give some insight as I believe she has run this event in the past.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I started running in late 2009. I'll be running the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks, my first marathon. I've done a few half marathons and many long training runs this winter. After the marathon I'll switch back to trail runs on the weekends to combine with long dayhikes.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I didn't want to say anything, when I first read Stef's post here...but, since you brought it up and opened the Door, Wa-loaf...running just hurts my body. If I'm going to screw up my knees and other joints, its going to be on a ski slope not running.

I also don't really have a runner's body....But I do love making myself suffer on a bike! :)

Thanks for not leaving me hangin :smile:

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I started running in late 2009. I'll be running the Boston Marathon in 2 weeks, my first marathon. I've done a few half marathons and many long training runs this winter. After the marathon I'll switch back to trail runs on the weekends to combine with long dayhikes.

congrats and good luck on your first marathon!! I have run numerous half's and only one full (the Hartford Marathon) which while I feel very accomplished about Oprah Winfrey still beat me by 1 minute or something close to it. gr. Trail running is really my forte as well as I feel guilty going out for a run without taking my dog and letting him run around like a maniac for an hour or so.

What kind of training did you do over the winter (grin and bear the cold)? Hartford Marathon was in the fall so that made it a lot easier for summer training and not having to do long runs on a treadmill.. I remember when I was younger my father used to take us on 3 day hiking trips in VT and I was deemed "food carrier." He would take me to the local reservoirs and fill my backpack up with stones and make me carry them around for hours and slowly take stones out as we would be "slowly eating food" on the hike. I think sometimes he'd even say "BEAR!" and make me drop the backpack...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Awesome! I ran the Boston Marathon in 2005 and 2009, in 2009 with my wife. I did 2005 in 4:09 and 2008 in 5:10.

Both times I got in through passes through friends, I'm definitely not fast enough to qualify. 2005 was with the military (they gave out X number of passes to people in the national guard) and in 2008 I just happened to know the guy who created the chip on the shoe that tracks you.

Have fun... it's an amazing experience. I think I'm done with marathons (that training is brutal!) but it's just incredible.

Here's us at the end. It was friggen freezing that day.

IMG_1802.JPG

bigbog

Can't do the long distance stuff....attacking my slight offset in leg length in skiing and hiking is enough work!
Haven't tried any long run of late...even with orthotic...but anyways..local uphill sprints...together with climbs, hikes and portages through the woods are my bag these days.

Last edited: