• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indoor Rock Climbing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Anyone ever go? I wasn't quite sure it belonged here, but I was thinking of hitting Central Rock Gym in Worcester in the next couple weeks, probably some night after work.

I'm a newbie and rent my own gear but I have fun anyway!

wa-loaf

I haven't climbed in years, but I never really got the appeal of the rock gym. Being out on a cliff holding onto granite with a limited number of holds is where it's at. I actually won two day passes to the rock gym and just gave them to my niece and her friend.

TheBEast

I viewed it more as a workout type thing and to focus on different moves and such. It was fun, haven't done it in a number of years. We used to hit the Stone Age Rock gym down in CT (forget the town). They just opened up a new place in Hadley, MA that looks cool. Get after it!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I viewed it more as a workout type thing and to focus on different moves and such. It was fun, haven't done it in a number of years. We used to hit the Stone Age Rock gym down in CT (forget the town). They just opened up a new place in Hadley, MA that looks cool. Get after it!

I'm pretty sure Stone Age was in Manchester, I think I used to go there.

I like it, for the workout. they do a lot of outdoor climbing near me at Purgatory Chasm in Sutton, MA.

Here's a random photo I found on Google Images:

433682-largest_me_purgatory.jpg

vdk03

I used to work at the rock gym at CSC it was pretty sweet college job. They are great way to stay in shape. I had always climbed outdoors prior to the job so it kinda took me a while to feel comfortable in the gym; its different expirence. It was cool to be able to set your own routes though.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been indoor rock climbing once or twice.. it was ok. Nothing like actually being on the rock outside...which imho is terrifying but that's what its all about I suppose, the thrill!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have some passes leftover for the place in Worcester. I'm trying to make a night of it after work sometime soon. The passes have been in my glove box for like 8 months.

bobo-lu

I’m also a newbie and I tried indoor rock climbing once. I can recommend it for beginners.