• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski length?!?

BackLoafRiver

I know this has been covered ad-nauseum but I needed some advice.

Looking at getting some new skis. The price on this years Bridges are nice right now. The eternal question of "what length" to get is coming up.

I have been on 170 mantras for the past 3 seasons.

Do I stay at 170 (171 is the equivalent) or get the 179?

My stats:

Short and wide...

5'7
230ish (give or take the day of the week)

Thoughts?

I demoed them in the 187 back in december and it was clearly too long. I know that, because of the rocker, they ski a little short.

As always, thanks!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Size does matter. Depends, in the longer length you probably have a smaller turn radius, which is good or bad depending on what kind of skiing you like. Longer length, more stability but also bigger TR, which is not a bad thing, just a preference thing. I thing for your size the 179 are not bad.

wa-loaf

I'm 5'9" 200 or so. I like most of my skis in the high 170's. I did just go long and decided it was a mistake (http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=93193). I could keep the skis because they were fine on the groomers and crud (they are rockered {early rise tip} so ski shorter than the 184 would think), but I decided something shorter for the trees would be better for me. I also still 186 Watea 94's so I got the length if needed.

Do the Bridges have rocker? You might want to go longer. Going to spend time in the trees? Stay shorter. Want to rip groomers? Go longer ...

BackLoafRiver

These days....as far as skis go, unless your racing or want a carving ski, I think shorter and fatter is better. I'm about 5'10" and I'm on 172's in Dynastar Mythic Legends. Perfect size and ski for me.

Not really looking for a carving ski. More for something that will be more playful and snappy than my mantras.

snowmonster

Ski length should be based on skiers' weight, which means you can probably push into the 180s on ski length. However, if you feel comfortable on your 170s, then a 179 Bridge should be fine. The rule of thumb on rocker skis is to go +5 to +10 cm.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd go with the 179 personally

I'm 5'8" about 190#

My everyday ski is a Rossi B2 in a 174. Wish I had gotten a 178, but they were sold out in that size when I got them.

My powder ski is a High Society Free Ride in a 179, though it's a twin tip. I wish they were in the 185 range. They make a 187, but the waist jumps from 92 up to I believe 115, so a completely different ski all together.

Puck it

I agree with the longer ski for powder days on trails. I like my 168 Nomads for the trees on pow days especially tight trees. Just something to think about too.