• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nfl

SkiDog

tree_skier said:
If all you want is a pass rusher then LT is your man but if you want a linebacker to play every down, drop back into coverage, rush, run stop then Bruschi over LT any da. I am not even sure that if I could take any 1 linebacker from the giants in there prime for my team it would be LT.

by the way I was sitting in a little bar in Plymouth after my monday night grad course @ PSC for the broken leg on large screen TV.

Actually if you have a minutes to compare stats...here..really its not all that far off...so far LT only played 3 more seasons..

Teddy http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/3189

LT http://sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/536702

You cannot deny that LT changed the way that position was played..well I guess you could but....??? ;-)

M

P.S. if you look at the first 10 years of each career you'll see they missed exactly the same amount of games...so I think he "played" quite a bit... :D

JimG.

Staff member
tree_skier said:
If all you want is a pass rusher then LT is your man but if you want a linebacker to play every down, drop back into coverage, rush, run stop then Bruschi over LT any da. I am not even sure that if I could take any 1 linebacker from the giants in there prime for my team it would be LT.

I'm not sure you know LT's stats that well...he was an every down player and was an excellent run defender. I also vividly remember LT scoring a few touchdowns on interceptions so his pass coverage was also good. He was the complete package.

His ferocious pass rushing is all that most folks remember, and for good reason.

SkiDog

JimG. said:
also vividly remember LT scoring a few touchdowns on interceptions so his pass coverage was also good. He was the complete package.

9 int's in his career...only 2 TD's...Bruschi will totally beat him in Int's as he's already got 11, with 4 TD's, but 27 sacks in 10 years...I dont care who you are or what "job function" you have in a pass coverage or every down situation, but thats not good....

for the record since they didnt start keeping the sack stats until 1982...lt has a total of 142 sacks...9 1/2 his ROOKIE year...

M

JimG.

Staff member
SkiDog, I noticed in the links for stats you posted that they have zeros for tackles in every year of LT's career.

That can't be right.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
JimG. said:
Listen, the guy is an awesome athlete and without doubt the best wideout in football.
I disagree...Randy Moss is by far the best. I have watched both those guys..Moss a bit more and he does things that has never been done.

JimG.

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
I disagree...Randy Moss is by far the best. I have watched both those guys..Moss a bit more and he does things that has never been done.

They must drink from the same bottle...Moss is a total whack job too. Same kind of locker room cancer.

I especially liked Randy's Buckwheat hairstyle a few season's back...very fashionable.

To me, the best wideout who ever played is Jerry Rice. He sets the standard.

SkiDog

JimG. said:
SkiDog, I noticed in the links for stats you posted that they have zeros for tackles in every year of LT's career.

That can't be right.

I noticed that too, its either again they werent keeping those stats at the time or they are excluded since he is retired...

both players stats come from the same source so...

I didnt do any deeper investigation other than that I saw the same "phenomenon" on another "stat" site..maybe you would have more luck..I know he was the MAN and i think ive proved it.. :D

M

ALLSKIING

Staff member
JimG. said:
They must drink from the same bottle...Moss is a total whack job too. Same kind of locker room cancer.

I especially liked Randy's Buckwheat hairstyle a few season's back...very fashionable.

To me, the best wideout who ever played is Jerry Rice. He sets the standard.
Very true..He lasted so long in the league. Talent wise though Moss has more..His stats for the first 6 years in the league are much higher but he will never play as long as Rice did so he won't break to many of his records. Moss was at times a bit of a problem in Minnesota but I don't think he was close to as big a cancer as TO was. Can you tell I was a Moss fan. It was a fun 6 years watching him in MInnesota...I will never see another WR do the things he did.

jack97

AFC; Denver or NE.

NFC; anybodies guess. I’ll root for Dallas just for sentimental reasons. This is a weaker conference. Who ever wins the AFC championship wins the SB.

Been a big fan of Tuna since he was a LB coach of the patriots in 70s, Chuck Fairbanks era. I became a big fan of Belichick when he was the defensive coordinator for the giants. In the Superbowl, Belichick’s game plan and the defensive unit just smothered the Bills for most of the game. A very interesting game to watch.

BTW, I wonder sometimes if LT would have been the player he is if he played for another team or coaches. Both Bills wanted tough, smash mouth football players. In addition, LT was surrounded by a talented group of LBs, they were inbetweeners for the hall of fame; Banks and Carson (the later finally making it in). Thus, he was free to play on the edge. Also, he had a coordinator who knew how to use him.

SkiDog

jack97 said:
BTW, I wonder sometimes if LT would have been the player he is if he played for another team or coaches. Both Bills wanted tough, smash mouth football players. In addition, LT was surrounded by a talented group of LBs, they were inbetweeners for the hall of fame; Banks and Carson (the later finally making it in). Thus, he was free to play on the edge. Also, he had a coordinator who knew how to use him.

Cant dwell on the what ifs.....who ever knows??? Obviously coach motivation and teamates may have made things much different either way, but it is what it is...and LT was hands down the man...

sorry...IMHO...

M

JimG.

Staff member
jack97 said:

I think this is always a legitimate question about great athletes.

Would Joe Montana have been as great as he was if he didn't play for Bill Walsh?
Would Jerry Rice have been as great if he didn't play with Montana and Steve Young?
Would Michael Jordan have been as great if he didn't play for Phil Jackson?
Would Joe Theismann have been as good as he was in his heyday if he didn't play for Joe Gibbs?

And you're right about the other linebackers LT played with...there may never be a threesome of Hall of Fame linebackers that good on one team ever again.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
JimG. said:
I think this is always a legitimate question about great athletes.

Would Joe Montana have been as great as he was if he didn't play for Bill Walsh?
Would Jerry Rice have been as great if he didn't play with Montana and Steve Young?
Would Michael Jordan have been as great if he didn't play for Phil Jackson?
Would Joe Theismann have been as good as he was in his heyday if he didn't play for Joe Gibbs?

And you're right about the other linebackers LT played with...there may never be a threesome of Hall of Fame linebackers that good on one team ever again.
Timing is everything.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
TO is an accident waiting to happen....TO doesn't do tuna he does prime rib. Bledsoe is being real nice now but once the real TO rears it's ugly head and it will, the Cowboys will see the mistake they made and the big tuna won't be very happy. Can't wait to see Philly play Dallas.

Giant fan since birth back in the days of YA Tittle.

jack97

ski_resort_observer said:
TO is an accident waiting to happen....TO doesn't do tuna he does prime rib.

Bledsoe needs maximum protection and doesn’t make good reads on coverage. He had his best year when he had Ben Coates in his prime, a great tight end. A big target up the middle, he would pull down the ball in tight coverage and was fast enough to get the YACs.

Look for Tuna to use TO like a tight end where his skills can be use to create mismatches in short and medium range routes. The interesting part is when defenses will disguise their coverage’s and force Bledsoe into a mistake or find weakness in the pass protection schemes and make TO ineffective. I figure by mid season, defenses will figure this out. TO will start mouthing off and that’s when Tuna will lay down the law.