• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

off-season shopping list

roark

Dear lord, a one ski quiver fatter than 84mm for the East? I think I skied my Watea 94s 3 times in the East this year.
skied my atuas (96 underfoot, 186 length) more often than any other ski in the quiver this year.

mondeo

Gonna stick with the Kryptons?

I don't dislike mine, I'm just really not sold that the design (non-overlap, forget what you call it) is all it's cracked up to be. For just bumps, they're great, but they leave a lot to be desired in other types of skiing.
Yep, love 'em. It's also the first boot beyond the beginner-intermediate level that I've had, so I don't really have a basis for comparison. What about them don't you like outside of bumps?

2knees

skied my atuas (96 underfoot, 186 length) more often than any other ski in the quiver this year.

thats cause all you tgr bro brah types use fat skis and carhartt gloves.....:razz:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yep, love 'em. It's also the first boot beyond the beginner-intermediate level that I've had, so I don't really have a basis for comparison. What about them don't you like outside of bumps?

I think they lack power when stomping on them while carving. I also find that they don't hold the heal in the pocket very well when I am in trees and need to have my weight back a bit from center to smear certain types of turns. This is not because my boots are loose either. They're the tightest boot I've ever worn and I crank them down. Also not a huge fan of the overlap liner. I think a traditional tongue design is more comfortable.

They're a fine boot, but I think I prefer a conventional design a bit better.

legalskier

skis - looking for a 1 ski quiver replacement for my current Nordica AB (84mm), which have lost their allure. i'd like to go a little wider, kastle fx94 skied great but is way out of my price range.

I'm looking in the same market. Right now I'm intrigued by the M Power FS, the Fire Arrow 80s (hopefully Nordica will change the graphics) and the Avenger 82 Carbon. They consistently get excellent reviews. They're pricey but I've been filling the piggy bank for a while now for just such an occasion.

pants - want something a little more water-proof than my Columbia but i'm a fashionista so finding the right ones has been hard.

Jacket - (added to my list) i'm a jacket whore, more jackets = more better. specifically i'd like to find a light weight yet warm jacket for cold days.
[/LIST]

There are recent threads re: these.

gloves - low on my list but would like to find a cold weather replacement glove with a soft nose wipey thing and a goggle scraper.

You may laugh but I bought a pair of Head ski gloves at Costco last fall and loved them. Unfortunately, somebody swiped them. Disappointing, but at only $15 I can live with it. Next season I'll get two.

Between the new set of wheels for the spouse and upcoming college expenses for the oldest son, ski equipment purchases will likely have to wait...:-(
If I can get a killer deal on some Nordica Speedmachine boots I may take it. The recent offer on the Nordica Afterburner skis is tempting as well...

Have you tried ebay?

Skis: 177 Nordica Soul Rider

I can't find these online- can you provide a link?

Last edited:

Cannonball

Now that work gloves are super cool and trendy I think I'm going to pick up a pair of these. Nice and waterproof.

400.jpg

2knees

Now that work gloves are super cool and trendy I think I'm going to pick up a pair of these. Nice and waterproof.

400.jpg

nice! I like the functionality.

I was thinking of going full bore, maybe add a toolbelt.

p84165.jpg

wa-loaf

If I can get a killer deal on some Nordica Speedmachine boots I may take it.

Get them while you can, they've been replaced for 2012 with the Fire Arrow 3 buckle boot. It's not getting great reviews ...

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Definitely will be looking for deals this summer before next winter, I am in need of;

• skis (I could really use some advice on this.. I haven't been in search of a new pair of skis in years. my volkls nicely landed in my lap for a fair price through a job but they are definitely not cutting it in the glades and deeper snow)
  • boots (also need some advice...or I just need to get out there and demo. I'd like a pair of boots that after every run I don't have to tighten them another notch ;-)
  • poles
  • maybe some mitts
got a great deal from a friend who works at Burton on snowpants this past week and my jacket will suffice another year or so.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I certainly want new ski's but I haven't figured out what yet, at all.

I definitely need poles since I bent the crap out of mine yard sailing it repeatedly at Sugarloaf

No plans for boots

I do need new ski pants, I tore mine with the edge of my ski at Wachusett on closing day. I also have a hole in the finger of my gloves.

I guess I'm pretty much like a homeless person on ski's right about now. :lol:

o3jeff

something fatter and better then the pos twin tips i've been using. the forward mount is freaky on those.

new pants. i cant carry the weight of the red baron powbmps bump pants anymore. need something less flashy.

You going back to the classic look of the wind pants and the golf jacket/sail?:wink:

wa-loaf

I certainly want new ski's but I haven't figured out what yet, at all.

I definitely need poles since I bent the crap out of mine yard sailing it repeatedly at Sugarloaf

No plans for boots

I do need new ski pants, I tore mine with the edge of my ski at Wachusett on closing day. I also have a hole in the finger of my gloves.

I guess I'm pretty much like a homeless person on ski's right about now. :lol:

Maybe you should have spent some cash on gear instead of buying internet forums ... :razz:

mondeo

Same with me and my watea 94s
But if you had Watea 84s as well, which would get more use?

My assertion here is that if you had 2 skis with otherwise very similar characteristics, the 80-85 underfoot ski is a better day to day ski than the 90-95 underfoot ski. It'll be quicker and hold a better edge, which for 90% of the time is more important than float in the East. Even if you avoid hardpack completely, the quickness alone is so much more important than float. I absolutely hate my midfats at this point, but it's because of the flex, not width.