• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift droppings

4aprice

Anyone have any good secrets to getting lift grease droppings off of a ski jacket? Wife bought me a nice colorful jacket (a TJ Shiller jacket my 14 yo tells me) but spring warmth and wet snows have left a few lift grease spots on it that I would like to get removed.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Edd

Anyone have any good secrets to getting lift grease droppings off of a ski jacket? Wife bought me a nice colorful jacket (a TJ Shiller jacket my 14 yo tells me) but spring warmth and wet snows have left a few lift grease spots on it that I would like to get removed.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Weird. That's never happened to me but, now that I'm aware of it, I'm sure it's in my future.

Warp Daddy

Yep had a similar experience had a branfd new jacket get grease bombed the First day i used it

try Lestoil -- it worked wonders for me took it all off , I rubbed it on first and brushed it in to the fabric , for kicks i took a very small amt of GOJO Hand cleaner and VERY gently rubbed that in and then washed it -- BINGO did the trick . I have subsequently used just the Lestoil and it worked alone too on a small grease spot

Good luck

legalskier

try Lestoil -- it worked wonders for me took it all off , I rubbed it on first and brushed it in to the fabric , for kicks i took a very small amt of GOJO Hand cleaner and VERY gently rubbed that in and then washed it -- BINGO did the trick . I have subsequently used just the Lestoil and it worked alone too on a small grease spot

This happened to my (light gray) pants and I tried the same. They got most of the stain out but not all of it, so I went nuclear and brought out the Goof Off. I was afraid of damaging the fabric but it worked. All I can say is Helly Hansen makes a very durable product! :beer:

roark

Whatever you do be sure to keep the waterproofness of the jacket intact - way more important than looks.

I'd spot treat with liquid nikwak - apply to the spot at rub like heck, then wash per nikwax instructions.

planb420

Yep had a similar experience had a branfd new jacket get grease bombed the First day i used it

Good luck

:idea:HUGE +1:beer:

bvibert

Staff member
Rit%20dye%20-%20Black.jpg

Dye the rest of the jacket to match the stain. Then you don't have to worry about it again.

planb420

Rit%20dye%20-%20Black.jpg

Dye the rest of the jacket to match the stain. Then you don't have to worry about it again.

My personality is far too much fun for that!! I tried a black jacket one year..wore it twice HATED IT and never wear it unless I am poaching later in the evenings...:idea:

gorgonzola

Whatever you do be sure to keep the waterproofness of the jacket intact - way more important than looks.

I'd spot treat with liquid nikwak - apply to the spot at rub like heck, then wash per nikwax instructions.

this - except blot, not rub. we had a morning of freezing rain that coated the lifts then melted up at greek peak and just trashed my jacket with grease spots. i thought it was a goner but mrs snobunski made the save :beer:

Glenn

Here's an odd fact I learned this Winter. Mt Snow uses a water based grease on the sheave bearings. I guess it has something to do with National Forestland requirements. Anyways, what usually drips on you is the dust from the sheaves. I've found that washing a jacket with Nikwax washer usually does the trick.

tjf67

We dont have that problem at whiteface. The lazy bastards don't grease anything. Then they look at each other funny when the lifts keep breaking down.:idea: