• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Camp ... Subi Impreza 2012

mondeo

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/2012-subaru-impreza/

Some stuff I like. Some I don't.

110 lbs lighter, great. Extra rear passenger legroom, good. Wider track, good.

74hp/l in a 2.0 compared to 68hp/l in a 2.5, well, not impressed at all. Actually don't know what the point is until they get DI. Doors 5 inches longer? That means they open wider, bad for tight parking. Like the Legacy front end, dislike the rear. I hate the Toyota Matrix they put on the back of the hatch. Longer wheelbase, bad (less responsive handling.) Door mounted mirrors look like they forgot about them, and said, well, let's just put these truck-sized mirrors on stems that don't fit in whatsoever. And yes the mirrors are larger, but useless addition of space. Not once have I wanted any more vertical coverage in the mirror. They just look stupid now, and add drag and weight. Smaller A-pillar is good, it's a little large on the current Impreza. Lowered shoulder line? F that. I don't need to see the ground next to me, I'd rather feel like I'm sitting on the ground.

But STI sweep on a base Impreza? That's actually going to piss a decent number of STI owners off. It's one of those extra little touches that makes a STI, a STI.

Oveall, I think they hit the major points. Keep it the same size, lighter, better fuel efficiency, replace an ancient engine architecture. Add DI and have a 2.5L version of the engine, the STI should get a good bump in both efficiency and power, maybe 30-33mpg highway. Needs a 6 or 7 speed non-torque converter automatic to go along with it. But just about everything else I don't like.

Last edited:

mlctvt

I drive a 05' GT wagon and love the large sunroof not to mention that it's got some "get up and go" under the hood!

Perfect combination of Incredible performance, AWD, manual transmission in a Wagon package.

I'm runninn stage 2 so my "get up and go" just went way up.
for those not familiar Stage 2 performance is about equal to a WRX STI. 0-60 time in the mid 4 second range. It's so fun to embarass sports cars and American V8s with this little 2.5 liter turbo WAGON.

mlctvt

Yup, and in 2010 Subie sales were up, so I'd guess some people liked 'em.

DId 2010 sales of the "Turbo" increase over 2006, 2007, 2008 sales? I doubt it.
I've heard to even get one now you have to order it since dealers don't stock them. That's the Subaru way to kill a model. Like what they did with the Manual GT wagon. Make them anavailable, don't advertise them and then complain sales weren't there.

Merican's like their jacked up high cars and Subaru delivers in the Outback and Forester so those sales skyrocketed with the new taller models. I guess I'm not a normal customer then I prefered the older model of both cars.

wa-loaf

Door mounted mirrors look like they forgot about them, and said, well, let's just put these truck-sized mirrors on stems that don't fit in whatsoever. And yes the mirrors are larger, but useless addition of space. Not once have I wanted any more vertical coverage in the mirror. They just look stupid now, and add drag and weight.

Haha, just looked at the pics. They totally designed the car and said "oh crap we forgot mirrors!". :lol:

mlctvt

It looks like they ground the sides off the car creating the flat wheel arches that extend to the back of the car and a sharp crease along the rear bumber. Maybe the car turned out wider than they wanted so they just removed a inch or two from the body work on each side, :smile:
whatever, it's ugly

I hoping that the STI 5 door version fixes some of these things.

campgottagopee

DId 2010 sales of the "Turbo" increase over 2006, 2007, 2008 sales? I doubt it.
I've heard to even get one now you have to order it since dealers don't stock them. That's the Subaru way to kill a model. Like what they did with the Manual GT wagon. Make them anavailable, don't advertise them and then complain sales weren't there.

Merican's like their jacked up high cars and Subaru delivers in the Outback and Forester so those sales skyrocketed with the new taller models. I guess I'm not a normal customer then I prefered the older model of both cars.

Turbo sales up??? Kinda doubt it, but I really don't know---don't track 'em.

Many of the die hard Subie fans aren't fans of the new product, but for every 1 that drops out 2 step in...can't please everyone, but guess that's what makes the world go around. Personally, I like the new models....bigger (i fit in them better) and much less wind noise which always pissed me off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I see you can get the new Imprezza in a 5speed MT. This may get a look in 2-3 years when we're shopping again.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
And what's with the ugly wheel arches. They used these to ruin the 2010 Legacy design and they're at it again. Fire that designer!
Agreed. They don't look as pronounced on the Impreza as on the Legacy and Outback models. Seriously one of the worst design issues going on in Subaru right now. I bet it is a big hit with Joe Average Car Buyer, though.... especially the older crowd.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Haha, just looked at the pics. They totally designed the car and said "oh crap we forgot mirrors!". :lol:
It really is amazing how great the car looks but how badly those mirrors stick out!!! WTF were they thinking!!! Ugh! Totally out of place on that size car. Especially considering many of the exterior changes were to enhance aerodynamics and improve gas mileage.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

roark

COUGH COUGH :razz::razz::razz:

Some more shots:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-subaru-impreza-five-door-new-york-2011/#4074534

I think the hatch looks really good (sans the side mirrors). The sedan is very blah. For the record, I don't like the current hatch. This seems like an improvement.

nah, my outlander is the more controversial looking older model - the one with thenose ;)

The sedan looks totally generic. By subaru standards the hatch is pretty bland. I hated the last gen impreza hatch when I first saw it, but it's grown on me.

The mileage gain is impressive, so long as it isn't a total dog to drive it should be a solid choice.

mlctvt

Interesting that the cargo volume for the 5-door is 49 cuft. The exact same as my wife's '05 Impreza WRX Wagon.
The flat floor is great too. And unlike my wifes car the rear suspension (strut towers) don't impede into the cargo area .