• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Camp ... Subi Impreza 2012

AdironRider

Diesels cost more to maintain. They are compression engines, as a result everything cost more as they are built to higher standards than gas engines (engine compression fires diesels, not spark plugs). Oil changes usually cost more for one. Tradeoff is that they usually go further, and sometimes longer between service intervals depending on the vehicle make and model, but not enough to offset the increased maintenance costs.

Just because you drove a car 204k (did you put every last mile on yourself or did you buy used?) doesnt mean thats the average time most people hold onto vehicles. Id be suprised if 10% of the population drives and holds onto cars as long as you do.

You are already paying a premium for the diesel, and if its going to take 200k to see a three thousand dollar difference, you will have already lost it in the maintenance costs and premium for the diesel. This is offset with the higher resale value somewhat, but its still a net loss. 10 years is a longgg time to see the 1k or so you might save if you are lucky and get a super reliable car. The truck world has a major hard on for diesels, but they all realize its not a money saver. Its up to you, is the extra 5mpg and boatloads of torque worth the premium?

Just get this, the diesel is going to be more expensive than your old American made Saturn.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Its up to you, is the extra 5mpg and boatloads of torque worth the premium?

Just get this, the diesel is going to be more expensive than your old American made Saturn.
Did you even bother to read my last post? It ain't all about the diesel! It is the right car. I don't know why I even bother sometimes.

AdironRider

You said diesels are cheaper to maintain in your last post. My whole post referenced that comment.

Do I need to provide you a line item receipt and tell you how to relate back to comments? Your not that dumb, or maybe you are if you think gas costs are all that goes into a vehicle over 200k that could affect your bottom line.

Dealers are not retarded. They will sell that car. Just because you didnt like the color doesnt mean the dealer was being unreasonable.

hammer

Just because you drove a car 204k (did you put every last mile on yourself or did you buy used?) doesnt mean thats the average time most people hold onto vehicles. Id be suprised if 10% of the population drives and holds onto cars as long as you do.

My first car? 204k. My second and current car? 178k. Could go to 200k and beyond easy. As long as I don't start traveling for work, my next car will be going to 200k and beyond.

My last 2 vehicles lasted me 178K and 190K, and one of them is doing OK as a beater car with almost 194K. My latest vehicle purchases were made with less emphasis on reliability reputations but if they both do OK I would like to see each of them to 10 years/200K miles as well.

I have at least a few coworkers who have also kept vehicles well over 100K miles...one had his last car over 250K miles and I think he also handed it down to one of his kids.

We might still be in minority but I think you will find that more and more people will be holding onto their cars longer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
1st car was a 1988 Acura Legend I purchased off my mom in 94 with 120K miles. I drove it to 160K miles and the transmission died. Wasn't worth the 3K repair, so sold it for nothing.

2nd car was a 1988 VW Fox, bought with 82K miles for cheap as a broke college student. Drove it until 120K miles and I only sold it as my older brother was selling an 87 Accord to get a new car and it rode better than the VW.

So, 3rd car was that Honda. Got it with 130K miles, drove it to 201K miles.

Bought a 95 Ford Explorer after that with 82K miles and drove it to 199K miles.

Bought a 2000 Audi A6 after that with 78K miles, drove it to 120K miles and sold it because it was paid for, but required 3K in repairs. I just felt it was going to start costing me more to maintain than a new car payment would be, so I got rid of it.

Bought my 2007 Sonata new after that. I have 149K miles on it. Car is paid for. Unless the maintenance costs start exceeding $300/month, which was the payment, I intend on keeping it as long as she goes.

Maybe my approach would be a bit different if I were in a different income bracket, but by everything I've read, I make above average wages. Unless you really get great pleasure out of driving a new car, I think the smart money move is to keep the cars you buy as long as possible, provided they're still safe for the road.

snoseek

My last two cars were Civics and went to 299k and 210k. Thet both treated me so well and will be missed. Three weeks ago I bought a brand new little 4wd Tacoma. I miss getting 40 plus mpg but it is so nice to drive a truck again. I'm also feeling 100 percent confident about driving through western passes during big storms.....it's pretty fun off road too!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice!!!

Tacoma is a great rig. If I were in the market for a small pick up, that's exactly what I'd choose.

wa-loaf

My last two cars were Civics and went to 299k and 210k. Thet both treated me so well and will be missed. Three weeks ago I bought a brand new little 4wd Tacoma. I miss getting 40 plus mpg but it is so nice to drive a truck again. I'm also feeling 100 percent confident about driving through western passes during big storms.....it's pretty fun off road too!

Nice!!!

Tacoma is a great rig. If I were in the market for a small pick up, that's exactly what I'd choose.

I had a 98 Tacoma. Sure miss it, but just doesn't work for my family needs right now.

snoseek

Nice!!!

It works only because It's just just enough towing capacity that I will never ever pay storage again. I travel pretty light but still fill a small storage space. Right now my shit is sitting in Denver and I'm all set with paying that bill. I'm hoping to get ten or so years unless my needs change. I slapped a healthy payment down, it will be done in less than three.

My crappy little Civic that was completely beat to shit still got 2k at 205k! My last one @ 300k got 1000 cash! Civics seem to hold value well. I will remember that in the future...

roark

It works only because It's just just enough towing capacity that I will never ever pay storage again. I travel pretty light but still fill a small storage space. Right now my shit is sitting in Denver and I'm all set with paying that bill. I'm hoping to get ten or so years unless my needs change. I slapped a healthy payment down, it will be done in less than three.

My crappy little Civic that was completely beat to shit still got 2k at 205k! My last one @ 300k got 1000 cash! Civics seem to hold value well. I will remember that in the future...

my uncle sold his 89 civic for a 2K PROFIT around 96 with ~60k

Edd

Do repair/parts costs vary much between american, german and asian cars?

I would say my girlfriend's Audi costs more to repair than my Subaru because the repair bills were breathtaking. However, the only thing that ever broke on the Subie in 8.5 years was the alternator belt....and the cat converter which I never repaired because I traded it in.

Her Audi had far, far, more problems.

AdironRider

Audis are like the red headed step child of the German marks. They wow you with styling and awesome interiors when new, then the electrics go to shit. They are 100k tops milage cars. After that sell it some early 20 something who wants to look like hes made it and can foot all the repair bills. BMW's have theyre own electrical gremlins, but are pretty minor things like the window switch doesnt operate anymore, where with an Audi the entire NAV system will short out).

Which brings up another point. The german cars are definitely going to be the most expensive to repair, but if your willing to do most of the work yourself, the maintenance costs will be relatively comparable to the Asian and American brands. Most shops assume youve got some dough if your driving a new Bimmer around, so they gouge you. Same thing with women. I never let my girl bring a vehicle to the shop. I sent the Subaru in for new pads and she got conned into new pads, rotors, lines, and oh for some reason the catalytic converter was 'missing'. The first, last, and only time I will let her take car of automotive stuff.

Brakes are brakes, and while there might be small premium when buying the parts for a German car, they are usually better quality Bosch stuff or what have you. People get scared about working on vehicles, but its really incredibly simple. Theres a reason the retard you knew in high school is now the local mechanic, its not difficult at all.

(Ive built up and restored four e30 series BMW's, 2x Golf GTI's, and more time that I would care to admit under my buddies 90's Mercedes Turbo Diesel ... needless to say Im a bit of a gearhead)

JimG.

Staff member
Just picked up my brand new 2011 Legacy 2.5i premium with the all weather package.

And a 6-speed.

It's nice.

roark

Have you arrived in Colorado Roark?

if so, how was the journey

In Lincoln NE tonight, Denver tomorrow. Nice to eat in a decent restaurant and not some damn chain. Wow do I hate the turnpikes. IL>IA>NE is marginally better. Looking forward to leaving the car parked for a month. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
having to eat at chain restaurants is my one major gripe about long distance trips. I've never gone west long distance outside of New England to Columbus, OH. I've done the New England to Florida trip about ten times though. Typically end up eating garbage. Though the last few times I've made the trip, I broke it into 3 days instead of 2. I stop in Richmond, VA on the way down and hang for a night in Shockoe Bottom. Then 2nd day go as far as Charleston or Savannah for a night. Leaves a short 5-6 hours on the for day 3 to get to my folks place in Sarasota.

snoseek

In Lincoln NE tonight, Denver tomorrow. Nice to eat in a decent restaurant and not some damn chain. Wow do I hate the turnpikes. IL>IA>NE is marginally better. Looking forward to leaving the car parked for a month. ;)

Right about now you're probably catching that first view of the mountains over the plains. After that drive those are the most beautiful mountains ever!