• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How Much Water to Bring on Mt. Washington Hike?

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I'd keep the option open for a descent via Lions Head. I came down it with a full pack without any trouble, and I remember it being easier than coming down Tux (which I did with a daypack). YMMV

As for water, 3 liters should be plenty. I would say if you have 1 liter left when you crest the headwall you should be fine. Plenty of goodies to refuel with at the summit if need be.

Chile, I wouldn't worry too much about being "out of shape". A co-worker dragged his family up that route a few years ago, and they don't hike at all. Of course, they were all too tired to hike down so the whole group took the last shuttle down. Talk about $$$$$. I'm glad I opted out of that invitation. :roll: I think you will do just fine.

MtnMagic

I just went up the rock pile Sunday. 4 of the 6 women had never hiked before, their gear was less than 2 weeks old, and their boot were 2 days old not broken in. It was as though they hiked all their lives. It also helps to be marathon runners, 26, and I believe added into the formula to be beautiful!

Too busy hiking for t.r. these days. Great job and welcome to the mountains, man!!

Last edited:

ChileMass

I took everyone's advice and brought 3 liters (2 water, 1 citrus Vitamin Water) and that was fine going up. Reached the top with about 1/4 of one liter of water left and about 1/3 of the vitamin water. We could have topped off at Hermit Lakes camp (lots of peole working the pump), but we were fine at that point. And there were plenty of options to fill up at the top.

I sweated thru both layers of wicking shirts and my EMS windshirt. I was still soaked thru when I got back to camp.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Hope this is valuable for others.........