• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Price

How do you pay for gas?

• Cash

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Credit

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Debit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Check

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

legalskier

I just don't like that the prices are shooting up even though there isn't a supply problem. Makes me wonder how high the prices would be if supplies really were short.

Why gas is so expensive, when oil isn't
...Thanks to increasing supplies from the Rocky Mountain states and Canada's oil sands, plus a lack of pipelines to move that oil out, there's currently a big glut of oil in Cushing. That's pushing the price of West Texas crude down. Prices for most other types of oil, which make up the vast majority of oil that refiners use in U.S. gasoline, are much higher than West Texas Intermediate. London's Brent crude, for example, was closer to $124 a barrel on Wednesday. "It's really a broken benchmark," Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service, said of the West Texas price. Also, it's important to remember that oil and gasoline prices don't move in lockstep with one another. Gas prices lag behind oil prices by a couple of weeks....

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/21/markets/oil_gas_prices/?iref=NS1 (which has a video called "How to find cheap gas")

deadheadskier

Staff member
Time to upgrade your Hyundai to the newest models getting 40 MPG!

while it would be nice to have the savings at the pump, my Sonata isn't too bad at 29 Highway MPG. It's also nearly paid of. I intend on keeping it and staying payment free for a long time if the stellar maintenance free operation continues.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Always debit. I had no idea they charged you if you use cc. VW runs me about $55 to fill up and lasts me a full five days if I'm just making the commute to work.

SKIQUATTRO

Credit as it goes thru the company and get skymiles

$120.00 for the 'burban yesterday
$75 for the Audi

ctenidae

Wife's comany CC for her car, thanks be to Jeebus- that thing must have a 50 gallon tank, usually $80 to $90, but only once a week or so. Mine, I use the debit card. $65 a fill up, lasts a solid week. My wife uses mid-grade, I use high test.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've started to use Poynt on my BB when traveling to find a cheap fill. Works pretty good, prices are sometimes outdated.

dmc

I had to pay cash in Jerzey yesterday... :(

10 cent difference between cash and charge..

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It's about 50/50 here now. A few of my favorite cheap spots recently started charging more for credit and I didn't realize it at first.

This happened to me last week.

There are still a few places that are cheap and don't charge extra for a CC, but not as many as there used to be. It sucks because I almost never carry cash.

dmc

I do the Route 17 gas shopping thing when I drive home from NYC...

Seemed like at first only stations on the NYC side of 17 were charging extra.. then I started to see it more towards the thruway side.... Now it's all in the middle... damn...

SkiFanE

95% cash, 5% debit.

I know every full serve place in my area, and some have discounts for cash. These places are cheaper than the self-serve's, can't figure that out. I don't like to pump gas.

Oh..heard Exxon, et. al. will be reporting record profits again, I think Exxon's is up over 60% (whatever that means, exactly lol). Funny...people keep buying gas, they have great incentive to lower prices, eh? But not sure Obama should get involved by nagging the oil companies, isn't supply/demand important for capitalism?

Actually...we're not killed so much at the gas pump, but heating 2 homes in oil this winter - yowza.

dmc

Actually...we're not killed so much at the gas pump, but heating 2 homes in oil this winter - yowza.

yeah... My "pre pay" ended and i had to fill the tank at todays cost.... damn...

SkiFanE

yeah... My "pre pay" ended and i had to fill the tank at todays cost.... damn...
We got lax the last couple of years and haven't had prebuy or anything in place. Worked out well..until this year lol. Beginning of winter prices weren't bad, but they've closed to doubled by now (or so it seems). Need to work on that this summer.

skijay

I use credit card with rewards points. Now with gas prices up - I will replenish the points I used to get the iPhone.

snowmonster

Debit. Gets me cheaper rates around the neighborhood in Boston. I only drive on weekends to ski so I make it a point to fill up in NH because of the lower prices. Gotta love Live Free or Die!