• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Price

How do you pay for gas?

• Cash

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Credit

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Debit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Check

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

gmcunni

How do you pay for gas?

$0.05 more per gallon for using a credit card always pissed me off. then it was $0.07 and today at the pump it was $0.10.

Filled up the SUV today for $81.50 :blink::cry:

EOS

Ouch!

I thought my fill-up total (low $60's) was high...

o3jeff

Credit card, I refuse to go to those places where they get a premium to use a credit card, especially when the place up the street is usually the same price and takes them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Typically CC, but only at stations that don't charge more for using it.

I can definitely say that the run up in price is having an affect on my driving decisions. I might have rolled the dice and gone to Killington today if prices were lower. But at $50 round trip in gas, it wasn't worth it to me to ski most likely marginal conditions.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Points, baby, points!

That is interesting about the charging for credit. Used to be illegal but I think recent legislation changed that. The credit card industry is pretty screwed up. Businesses pay a pretty big premium to be able to offer credit services so that credit card companies can then charge and fee their customers up the ying yang. And deadbeats like me take advantage of the system to the tune of a pair of Benjamins a year cash back via points and never having a balance. This is why gas station pumps (just like other businesses) ask you if your card is debit when you slide... they pay lower rates on debit but collect the same revenue.

This is one reason that I carry cash and try to (as much as possible, at least for small amounts) pay local business in cash. But then you get jammed up the butt in ATM fees so I am favoring credit even for that now.

It is all spectacularly screwed up. But I think charging extra to use certain credit cards will likely back fire on businesses.

gmcunni

i need to get back to paying attention who charges more for credit, i never have cash on me. Most of the gas stations in town charge extra for credit so i'll be shopping around more diligently.

mind you i'm not going to go out of my way to drive 10 miles just for a fill up but rather get gas when the opportunity arises rather than the need. going to have to time my next trip to Costco so i pull in on EMPTY.

wa-loaf

I use my debit card these days. Costing me just over $50 for a fill-up on the Subi and do it about once a week.

Geoff

I rarely encounter gas stations that charge more for credit than cash. I always use a credit card.

I never use my ATM card as a debit card because of the hassle if the card gets cloned. I can deal with a credit card being shut down but I don't want anybody screwing with my bank account.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I rarely encounter gas stations that charge more for credit than cash. I always use a credit card.

I never use my ATM card as a debit card because of the hassle if the card gets cloned. I can deal with a credit card being shut down but I don't want anybody screwing with my bank account.

It's about 50/50 here now. A few of my favorite cheap spots recently started charging more for credit and I didn't realize it at first.

drjeff

Definitely the credit card for the same reason others have said! Its all about the points! Capital one travel plus (or whatever the heck the call it!). $20 a year gets me 2 points per dollar spent instead of just 1 point per dollar - well worth that $20 in my book!

Back to the gas prices - my wife just filled her audi Q7 up this morning and had her 1st $100+ tank since the last spike in prices in '08 :eek:

gmcunni

paid (credit card) $4.25 for regular unleaded today. i used to put in the mid-grade gas but $0.20 today seemed offensive.

hammer

Just paid $4.03/gallon for 91 octane (always pay with CC for convenience). Nice to be able to go to NH where the taxes are lower.

I just don't like that the prices are shooting up even though there isn't a supply problem. Makes me wonder how high the prices would be if supplies really were short.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I use my debit card these days. Costing me just over $50 for a fill-up on the Subi and do it about once a week.

At least twice a week here at about $55 a fill up now. :(

Transportation stipend for work doesn't come close to covering my out of pocket expense.

At current prices, I'll spend about 5K per year on gas.

Edd

Definitely the credit card for the same reason others have said! Its all about the points! Capital one travel plus (or whatever the heck the call it!). $20 a year gets me 2 points per dollar spent instead of just 1 point per dollar - well worth that $20 in my book!

Wow! Good deal. I pay for all gas and nearly all of my bills with a CC as well without carrying a balance for the points.

darent

$4.56 for regular here. heard it was going up .12 cents in a few days at this rate we will be at $5.00 this summer have a exxonmobile credit card so avoid the CC charge. It is the only provider on island

mlctvt

CC.
My wife and I have beeen putting everything we buy on our CC for years. We pay the balance in fulll every month. Never paid an interest charge.
We even pay any monthly bills this way if there is no penalty to do so. Verison, At&t, Directv etc. We've got a Points cash back Mastercard where we get 1.25% of ALL purchases back in cash, plus there no annual fee.

We also avoid those nasty gas stations that charge extra for credit card use. I noticed more and more are doing this now so this could be a problem in the future.