Though I'm hoping for 1 or 2 more ski days, this is probably a good time to finally reflect on the 2010-11 ski season. I'd give my season a 9.0 (If I manage to ski past June 13 - the lastest I've skied - I'll bump it up by .5).
Highlights of this season include:
- The earliest ski day: October 23 at Sunday River
- Ski on my birthday
- Present at the Mittersill chair dedication and skiing the Mittersill sidecountry: January 17 at Cannon (I got a coin to prove it.)
- First time in Slidebrook at Sugarbush
- First time in Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf
- First time to ski the Balsams and Smuggler's Notch
- Lots of days in the backcountry with first time ski tours on the Thunderbolt Trail, Mt. Cardigan, Mt. Moosilauke, the Tuckerbrook Trail, the Cog Railway, Doublehead Mountain, Black Mountain and Monroe Brook.
- Backcountry skiing in the Gulf of Slides and Tuckerman Ravine.
Unfortunately, lowlights of the season include:
- Not skiing out west (being fiscally-reponsible has its price)
- Not attending the AZ Summit (life happens)
- Getting my pack stolen (To whoever filched it, just know that, depending on what you believe, either the karmic wheel comes 'round or you get back what you give out.)
The best part of any ski season is sharing the experience with kindred spirits who have the same magnificent obsession for this sport. Whether it was skiing on a keyboard or actually making turns on the trails, thanks for accompanying me on this journey. Thank you for the inspiration and the stoke!
Special thanks go to the AZers that I shared the trail with: rivercoil, madpadraic, monkeybrook, Terry, thaller, whaller, the fearless maineskier69, the indomitable wjenness, the incomparable snoseek and, my brother-in-arms, thetrailboss. You honor me by allowing me to slide alongside you. Until next season: May your turns be many and powder-filled!