• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain...thoughts

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the lift ticket comment. Cannon's walk up rate was $67 this season.

drjeff

I'm not sure I understand the lift ticket comment. Cannon's walk up rate was $67 this season.

Come on now DHS, you actually expect a reporter these days to do his/her due dilligence and fully fact check the story their working on ;) :lol: :rolleyes:

hammer

Come on now DHS, you actually expect a reporter these days to do his/her due dilligence and fully fact check the story their working on ;) :lol: :rolleyes:
Seems like journalists get a lot of credibility on topics that they know little to nothing about just because they publish stories on those topics.

When I was in the military I used to get a chuckle about the articles that I'd see involving Hanscom AFB. One basic fact that I remember being overlooked was that the base hasn't had a flying mission for decades.

Going back on topic, since I've only been to Cannon once...no comment.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Seems like journalists get a lot of credibility on topics that they know little to nothing about just because they publish stories on those topics.

Nowhere in the article did the author mention $60 tickets. It was about the proposed bill to lease Cannon to a private company, like the state already does with Sunapee.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it is unlikely that Cannon will be leased. There is an influential group of folks who don't want to see that happen.

thetrailboss

Staff member
^ Please tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know.=)

Don't want to get political....but Gov. Lynch has said no. Plus IIRC this guy, who is on the Executive Council, which is a quirk in NH's political structure, is against it as well and he and the Council have say as to what the state does...more so than the legislature in some ways. Burton and his supporters are against leasing Cannon. FWIW Burton has been on the Council for 34 years now so he has some clout.

Puck it

I think he is also the one and along with Lynch that is not allowing the Sunapee expansion. It never makes it out of the executive council.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Don't want to get political....but Gov. Lynch has said no.

Gov. Lynch has limited power in the current New Hampshire government. The House, Senate, and Executive Council are all of the opposing party and, in non-gobenatorial matters, can control much of what happens in state government for the next year plus.

The state is in dire straits; everything is on the table.

AdironRider

As a former NH resident and former multi-year passholder at Cannon Im pretty torn about the private lease issue.

From an economics standpoint it seems like a no brainer. Lease it out, take the revenue and reduced operating costs, have the private sector pay for the lifts, snowmaking etc.

From a personal standpoint I enjoy Cannon for what it is. A low key, local vibe, kinda place that has always delivered.

That being said, going private would probably do worlds for Cannon in terms of the on snow experience, at least in form of more snowmaking, etc.

Id bet those sweet NH resident discounts would dissappear though. Bummer.

Cannonball

As a former NH resident and former multi-year passholder at Cannon Im pretty torn about the private lease issue.

From an economics standpoint it seems like a no brainer. Lease it out, take the revenue and reduced operating costs, have the private sector pay for the lifts, snowmaking etc.

From a personal standpoint I enjoy Cannon for what it is. A low key, local vibe, kinda place that has always delivered.

That being said, going private would probably do worlds for Cannon in terms of the on snow experience, at least in form of more snowmaking, etc.

Id bet those sweet NH resident discounts would dissappear though. Bummer.

I'd generally agree with you. But I disagree with this part: "That being said, going private would probably do worlds for Cannon in terms of the on snow experience, at least in form of more snowmaking, etc" Not long ago that was very true. However, over the last few years the newer Cannon management has stepped it up to the point that it IS being run as well as a private operation would do. The snowmaking, lift ops, food services, lessons, etc have come up to a level that is way above what it used to be and is quite comparable with other similar mountains. (Some of this is to the chagrin of those who liked it the old way). By being successful in these areas they've taken away that part of the argument in the public-private debate.

Puck it

I'd generally agree with you. But I disagree with this part: "That being said, going private would probably do worlds for Cannon in terms of the on snow experience, at least in form of more snowmaking, etc" Bot long ago that very true. However, over the last few years the newer Cannon management has stepped it up to the point that it IS being run as well as a private operation would do. The snowmaking, lift ops, food services, lessons, etc have come up to a level that is way above what it used to be and is quite comparable with other similar mountains. (Some of this is to the chagrin of those who liked it the old way). By being successful in these areas they've taken away that part of the argument in the public-private debate.

Totally agre with you. They need a little infrastructure invested in guns though. The water pumping was a problem this year and the gun technology needs to be brought into the 21st century.

SIKSKIER

No way for me

Agree totally with Cannonball and Puck it here.As a 35+ year passholder I have very strong and biased opinions on leasing.A hugeNO from me,mostly for selfish reasons.I would hate to see Cannon turned into the way most resorts are now.It has been a very unique place.Having said that,the reason it is making money now besides the obvious good snow fortune,is because it has changed to become more like most ski area by upgrading the infrastructure.Its a love/hate idea for most of us regulars and locals.We like the newer lifts and snowmaking but dread the increase in skiers.You can't have it both ways but we sure want to.They are making a good profit right now so I don'y really see the point.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'd generally agree with you. But I disagree with this part: "That being said, going private would probably do worlds for Cannon in terms of the on snow experience, at least in form of more snowmaking, etc" Not long ago that was very true. However, over the last few years the newer Cannon management has stepped it up to the point that it IS being run as well as a private operation would do. The snowmaking, lift ops, food services, lessons, etc have come up to a level that is way above what it used to be and is quite comparable with other similar mountains. (Some of this is to the chagrin of those who liked it the old way). By being successful in these areas they've taken away that part of the argument in the public-private debate.
This! Snow making and grooming have really been stepped up. JD brought his SR experience with him and it shows.... that said.... if one of the reasons to lease Cannon is to make it operate better and it already is being run "more like a resort", it begs the question: should Cannon be leased since it already is run like a big private resort? Is there anything left to take away from the mountain if it was leased.

I have always been 100% against leasing. But the issue tears at me. Cannon is no longer a value. Its day tickets are on par with many other resorts such as Jay (I think Cannon has a more expensive season pass than Jay, out of state). Mittersill has already been sacked and actually needs snowmaking now that a lift is running. It is not like they can widen the trails further, with a few exceptions, Cannon's trails are already pretty wide for its topography. And operations more and more is run more resort like. Could we get an early opening and later closing with a lease? Cheaper tickets maybe? More deals? Snowmaking on Barron's, Liftline, and Skylight on Mittersill without any additional cutting as a clause?

I really don't know any more. I am not for a lease but I am definitely coming back away from 100% against.

Regardless of how I feel, I think it is inevitable. If not under the current governor than eventually. There are too many other funding issues getting axed for this not to keep coming up.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would hate to see Cannon turned into the way most resorts are now.
Let's explore this. What would really change at Cannon under a lease (that hasn't changed already)? And there are a lot of private resorts that are very pro freedom and heritage of skiers (Jay, Bush, Smuggs, etc), even more so than Cannon. The Meullers scare me, though. But on the flip side, Okemo has a few established bump runs. I mean, hell, Cannon friggin grooms Paulie's now!