• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2006-07 "Resident" Boot Fitter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDrew

I'm actually now thinking my boots maybe too small for me. I think I'm the only person who sizes ski boots too small. I guess I'm too used to climbing shoes. Unweighted I can fit 1.5 fingers behind my right foot and 1 behind my left foot. I'll probably be seeing you in the next month or so.

nope I squeeze my dogs into an 8.5. I wear a size 10 shoe (good solid fit) and a size 11 scuba boot (awesome fit.) After working those boots though, they fit great.

awf170

So I went to see Jeff thursday...

and the boots seem really like a really good fit and actually sort of comfy. :-o But I can't really tell until I ski 'em. Hopefully next weekend (right...)

uphillklimber

Just visited Jeff this weekend. My boots werte almost 2 sizes too big. So it's next door to buy another pair. I got into the boots and they were clausterphobic, to say the least. He did up some footbeds, ground down a couple tight spots, tweaked this and that, and soon, my new boots are feeling molded to my feet. My heel does not move up AT ALL in this boot. Funny how that's what I have always heard, and have nevere been able to get that fit. These new boots are in deed snug. I feel I am likely to get that feeling of being attached to my skiis, finally. Used to be that I had to ratchet the buckles down to the point of bearable pain to skii like I want.

I gotta say that I am impressed with Jeff's knowledge and ability. He was able to describe, in terms I can understand, what the fit is supposed to be. And where my wife and I were the only ones he was concerned with, he wasn't rushing us so that he could attend to the next customer. He takes the time needed to make these boots right. You know how you are supposed to maintain contact, shins to front of boot? I have always felt like I had to exegerate it a bit. He installed shims on the tongue to make that easier and more natural for me. For a while I was imagining that I was skiing over a headwall and down the slope and then cruising the run out to get my stance so he could adjust things with the boots and my mechanics.

At this point, I need to get my ski bindings adjusted to fit my new boots, and then onto snow.

He said to get a couple half days on them, then come back to visit for adjustment. He also suggested that I put a few narrow strips of duct tape under the inside edges of my boots over the plates to approximate the ....hmmmm.... I forget what it is called. But anyways, I am always riding the inside edges of the skiis. And you know, I have always caught the inside edge of my skiis, never, never the outside edge. So along with whatever few adjustments I'll need, he'll work on the boots to adjust how flat I am on them.

Spent some coin this weekend, only 2 years after spending coin on new boots. But I feel much better that I'll comfortably ski these boots for some time to come, and be pleased with what goes on with them. I'll be demoing skiis this season, buying next season now, but I am very interseted in the Volkls that have been recommended.

Many thanx Jeff, I'll be back in a little while for more adjustment, as will my wife. For now, Bring on the snow!!!

Greg

Staff member
Sounds like a great experience. Chalk up the extra coin as a learning experience, and forget about it. Your description of Jeff going through the boot fitting process in terms the common man can understand is right on. He knows his stuff and makes you feel comfortable; that's the key to a great boot fitter. Keep us posted on the effect this has on your skiing.

uphillklimber

Chalk up the extra coin as a learning experience, and forget about it.

Keep us posted on the effect this has on your skiing.

The school of hard knocks is often the best school. I'll never buy boots like I have in the past. I'll let you know how the skiing progresses, fer sure.

RISkier

The school of hard knocks is often the best school. I'll never buy boots like I have in the past. I'll let you know how the skiing progresses, fer sure.

Agreed. I'll never buy boots again without working with someone like Jeff. I spent some time working with him last year. Got a new foot bed, put shims in the tongue, did a little grinding, and some alignment work. My canting was way off. He suggested experimenting with the duck tape trick until I get it just right. I've not had my soles planed yet since it was getting late in the year and I didn't feel had the exact number of strips completely dialed in. So I'll need to visit Jeff again this year. The changes made the boots more comfortable and also definately put me in a stronger position on the skis. I think you're cheating yourself if you just buy a pair cause they look and feel good in the store.

JimG.

Staff member
Agreed. I'll never buy boots again without working with someone like Jeff. I spent some time working with him last year. Got a new foot bed, put shims in the tongue, did a little grinding, and some alignment work. My canting was way off. He suggested experimenting with the duck tape trick until I get it just right. I've not had my soles planed yet since it was getting late in the year and I didn't feel had the exact number of strips completely dialed in. So I'll need to visit Jeff again this year. The changes made the boots more comfortable and also definately put me in a stronger position on the skis. I think you're cheating yourself if you just buy a pair cause they look and feel good in the store.

Wonderful to see so many eyes becoming wide open about boot fitting.

You will never know how well you can ski until you visit someone like Jeff.

uphillklimber

I'll never buy boots again without working with someone like Jeff. I spent some time working with him last week. Got a new foot bed, put shims in the tongue, did a little grinding, and some alignment work. My canting was way off. He suggested experimenting with the duck tape trick until I get it just right.

That sounds exactly like my experience. I can't wait for snow!!!

Last edited:

Henrik

Hi Jeff

Last season I bought a pair of Nordica Hot Rods. The best and snuggest fit I've ever had. However, there's no cuff canting device and I'm very bow legged. 12 degrees on one leg and 14 on the other. The Hot Rod's low cuff height helps me a lot, but I still need som cuff cant adjustment to get my alignment right.

I've had a pair of Tecnica Icons before and their 2-3 degrees canting was not perfect but quite alright when combined with 4 strips of tape on the bindings. In my case, due to my extreme bowleggednes, I don't believe in the old saying that the ski has to sit dead falt on the snow. And believe me, I've experimented a lot and spent a small fortune on various boot fitters and boots.

Hence, I think that a 3-4 degrees cuff cant would do the work for me. But how difficult is it to get the Hot Rods reriveted and how much would it approx cost?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards

Henrik

Skiiboot

henrik, The trick isn't moving the the cuff but in doing it in a way the keeps the flexing the way it should. There are a couple of thing that can be done inside the boot that may be able to gain a little ground so the cuff dosen't have to be moved so far.
This project would run between 90-120$ depending on time and what is done to solve the problem

Thanks

Jeff

err

Hi,
I bought a pair of Dalbello boots about 2 seasons ago and have been having terrible problems with them. When I wear them around the house to try and break them in there is no problem, but after about 5-10 minutes of skiing with them I start getting really sharp pain along the outside edge of my feet. The pain gets so bad, that when I get to the bottom of the hill I almost keal over until I get my feet out of the boots. I tried getting some custom foot beds at the local ski/sports place but they didn't make any difference in the pain.

-doabbs

Natedogg

Another satisfied customer (I'll spare gory details as posted by others). I saw Jeff Saturday and could immediately feel a difference in how my boots fit. The hill is the ultimate test, but things are looking good!

Thanks Jeff. Plugged you on SR and TGR.

Skier75

I gotta say that we are very pleased with what Jeff has done. Both my wife and I. He spends a good deal of time with you to get it right, and sets the time aside.

I have a feeling at a ski shop that they need to get you into a pair of oots, any boots that feel comfy, then get onto the next customer coming thru the door.

Sure, the boot fitting costs some money, but I see it as a good investment in comfy skiing and good control on the mountain.

Now, bring on the snow so I can try em out for real!!!!!

Edit: Sigh... I see my wife was signed in. This is uphillklimber

Skiiboot

err,
There could be several problems. the boot could be a little to narrow. believe it or not sometimes a boot to big may have this problem. If your foot isn't balanced properly pain could result. What I'm saying is that without looking at the boots and your feet it is very hard to give you a good way to attack the problem.
I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer right now.

Thanks

Jeff

err

No problem, thanks for the info. I havn't been able to find much information about this type of boot pain and am glad to see that it is at least something you've seen.

-err

err,
There could be several problems. the boot could be a little to narrow. believe it or not sometimes a boot to big may have this problem. If your foot isn't balanced properly pain could result. What I'm saying is that without looking at the boots and your feet it is very hard to give you a good way to attack the problem.
I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer right now.

Thanks

Jeff

ctenidae

Hi,
I bought a pair of Dalbello boots about 2 seasons ago and have been having terrible problems with them. When I wear them around the house to try and break them in there is no problem, but after about 5-10 minutes of skiing with them I start getting really sharp pain along the outside edge of my feet. The pain gets so bad, that when I get to the bottom of the hill I almost keal over until I get my feet out of the boots. I tried getting some custom foot beds at the local ski/sports place but they didn't make any difference in the pain.

-doabbs

Sounds a lot like the pain my wife has had. She was in Lange boots, and they really were too narrow for her. They were too short, too, but I think the narrow was hurting her more.

Skiiboot

many things can cause this problem, but it tends to be more to do with the foot than the boot. The boots will agravate the problem, depending on the shape of the boot.

SKIQUATTRO

hey Jeff;

i get cold toes/feet even when its not cold out (i get numb toes when road riding in 60 temps....Dr says its Reynoyds' Syndrome....i got fitted for boots at Northern Ski Works up at Killington last yr (Hal)...boots fit and feel great.....jwould Hotronics help me get thru the day more comfortably??

Skiiboot

skiquattro,

You are slowing down blood flow in your foot, by the shoes you wear. Some feet are more subject to this than others. Hotronics may help, make sure that socks are thin and you foot is dry when you put your boots on. Be careful not to stay in a warm area with your boots on, this may make your feet sweat, that will make your feet cold, cycling also. But if your feet are just cold, hotronics are good to help add a little temp to the toe box.

Thanks

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.