• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2006-07 "Resident" Boot Fitter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckeane

Ski Boot choice

Hey Jeff:
I am wondering about a choice for boots. Here are details:
Years Skiing: 35
Level: 8-9
Type: Mostly NH, ME some trees and bumps
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 175 lbs.
Mondo: 29.5 - 30.0
forefoot width:10.5 cm
heel:8 cm
arch: low

1) I am wondering about a couple choices for boots. I have tried last year's lange crl 90 in 12.5. Would that be a good choice? Would you go smaller???
2) I am looking for a boot that will grive me good control without being overly stiff. My heel has been slipping in my 3 year old solomons.

thanks for your help

Skiiboot

jckeane,
Hard to tell what sive your foot is and how it sits in the boot without seeing it. But make sure the boot isn't to big. Depending on your foot biomachanics that can change the stiffness of the boot. If boots are to stiff they can be made softer, like boots can be made bigger. Lange or Nordica is a good place to start. Make sure the shop fitting you does a shell fit 1 finger maybe a little more that's it, your not a beginner, again boots can be made bigger. If you get the right size and the boot is fitted properly you will get all the control your want.

Thanks

Jeff

skimore

Jeff,
Skiing in Diabello Krypton pro that cause pain on instep, to the point where I started to develop a bit of bump where it was grinding on my instep. What is your opinion of taking the footbed that sits in the bottom of the shell down a bit to alleviate pressure on instep?

Skiiboot

Skimore,

The bumb you are getting is from your foot moving, with the movment and pressure it makes an exostosis on the top of your foot. You need to stop your foot from moving then make room for the bump. It's hard to say if I would go up or go down to make room for you.

Thanks

Jeff

skimore

Jeff,

My foot does not seem to be moving in the boot. It feels as if the tongue in the liner moves across the top of my foot as I flex the boot. It hurts my foot when just buckled and sitting there.It did not feel this way when initially purchased, but since the development of that bump as soon as it is buckled that tongue piece seems to be putting pressure there. . I think the boot liner is just poorly designed.The tongue has some hard plastic covered with thin layer of material that curves out from where tongue is attached to liner

The bump that it was creating gradually increase over the season to point I could not wear the boots anymore. It has almost gone away over the off season. Should I just scrap these and find something new as I don't want to cause any permament damage.

Skiiboot

If there is a bunion there is movement somewhere or trauma, It could very well be the tongue. The tongue does get softer after some use. And depending on what liner you have yes you are right it is a poor designed. There may be a couple things that can be done before you can the boot. But care try not to make the bunion any worse.

Thanks

snowmonster

Just wanted to draft a short note to thank Jeff for seeing me yesterday. When I first got into the sport, I bought the most affordable pair of boots I could find (I told the guy at the shop "no bells and whistles, just a plain boot"). Spent five minutes fitting it then I was out the door. I never planned on progressing in the sport. Said if I get good enough at this and my boots are bad, I'll deal with it then. Well, the time has finally come to deal with it.

Since I couldn't make it to Pico yesterday, I decided to work on the boots so I set an appointment with Jeff. Been looking at a number of bootfitters and Jeff's operation seemed to be the most recommended so it was a no-brainer setting this up.

Jeff examined my legs, feet and boots and found out that, not only were my boots too big (serves me right for spending less than 5 minutes fitting them in the first place) but my right leg was shorter then my left and my right foot wasn't hitting the ground as it should (explains the weird wear I always get on my shoes).

Anyway, Jeff made me a footbed to compensate for my right foot's deficiencies and put in a shin pad in my boot to get my heel to rest at the back of the boot. There was always this space at the back of the boot which I always assumed was normal so that the heel could move around.

We talked about my skiing technique and how my foot should feel when skiing. Good info. The most impressive part was when Jeff examined my feet and legs and basically gave me a run-down on my injury history -- without me telling him anything.

I'm eager to test the footbeds this weekend. Heading for MRG and that should be a great way to see the improvements.

Thanks, Jeff!

Greg

Staff member
There was always this space at the back of the boot which I always assumed was normal so that the heel could move around.

Heel movement is the last thing you want. Great move seeing Jeff and glad to see it was a learning experience for you!

Jeff got me set up in advance of this season and I've never been skiing better. I've got 25 days on my boots and they have packed out a bit. Jeff drilled out the spot for the upper buckle and I just moved buckle three a bit tighter to lock down the ankle even more. I also have to go back to see Jeff eventually to address some big toe bruising on my right foot.

A custom fit is really the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.