• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New camera, some climbing pictures

awf170

Some pictures from Den Rock today. I'm obviously the bald one...
IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

I'm still trying to figure it out, thats why the pictures aren't too great... I think the shutter speed wasn't fast enough.:???:

Greg

Staff member
Uh.....what kind of camera did you get? :idea:

awf170

Greg said:
Uh.....what kind of camera did you get? :idea:

a620. It is pretty much better than the a700 in every possible way.:p I actually got it over the a700 because it has custom shooting mode, you can save all of your settings in that mode. Also, because it was cheaper.

And yeah, I figured out that the shutter speed was only 1/60. Not nearly fast enough for action shots. It should have been atleast 1/500. Dumb camera.

Greg

Staff member
Cool. Is that your dad? If so, he seems like he must be a pretty cool guy.

awf170

Greg said:
Cool. Is that your dad? If so, he seems like he must be a pretty cool guy.

Yeah, its my dad and he still absolutely trashes me climbing even though he though he is in his late 40's.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
The pics look fine to me, don't think a faster shutter speed would make much diference. If you increased the shutter speed to 1/500 you would have to balance the light intake that you lose with a faster shutter speed with a bigger apeture thus decreasing the depth of field which would decrease the sharpness in the foreground or background.

awf170

ski_resort_observer said:
The pics look fine to me, don't think a faster shutter speed would make much diference. If you increased the shutter speed to 1/500 you would have to balance the light intake that you lose with a faster shutter speed with a bigger apeture thus decreasing the depth of field which would decrease the sharpness in the foreground or background.
Yeah, I just noticed that I didn't post any of the real blurry ones. A bunch of the movement ones came out quite blurry, in one of them my dads hand is one giant 2 ft. long blur. I know I don't need a really fast shutter speed, but I think I need something atleast 1/200 even if it does make other things sort of blurry.
Check this picture out, way blurry:
IMG_0207a.jpg

Is there a way for me to check what the aperture after I deleted it off the camera?

Found it. The Aperture was at only 2.8, that is low as it could go.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
Yeah, its my dad and he still absolutely trashes me climbing even though he though he is in his late 40's.
The question is why doens't he post here? Seems like he'd fit right in with a bunch of crusty old coots like us! ;)

awf170

Greg said:
The question is why doens't he post here? Seems like he'd fit right in with a bunch of crusty old coots like us! ;)

He doesn't use computers. I don't think he has been on the computer since last winter to check Cannon's snow report. He actually would fit in though, though I think he maybe a little too cool...

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
awf170 said:
Yeah, I just noticed that I didn't post any of the real blurry ones. A bunch of the movement ones came out quite blurry, in one of them my dads hand is one giant 2 ft. long blur. I know I don't need a really fast shutter speed, but I think I need something atleast 1/200 even if it does make other things sort of blurry.
Check this picture out, way blurry:
IMG_0207a.jpg

Is there a way for me to check what the aperture after I deleted it off the camera?

Found it. The Aperture was at only 2.8, that is low as it could go.

Understand your point. Did you try any shots with the flash? With 2.8 as low as it goes I guess your stuck in this situation with the shaded light your subject was in. Any time of day the sun hits this spot?

When I bought my point and shoot dig camera I paid the most attention to the lens...it had to be fast and with high quality optics.

Irregardless I thought the pics you first posted came out great!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i met austin's dad last year when i bumped into them at jay peak (more like austin calling out to me as i stepped off the tram. definitely a cool dude, i hope to be out there still ripping it up when i am that old and have kids. well, if i ever have kids that is, lol.

cbcbd

Now, I like the camera and it is pretty good although the picture quality doesn't compare to my old 4mega pixel Nikon.
The blurry stuff doesn't annoy me as much, what gets to me is how the whites get washed out very easily. I take a lot of pictures where there is land and sky and now it's much harder for it not overexpose. But hey, can't beat the features you get for this price.

We went climbing at Pinnacle in Plainville, CT. Very cool area. :)

Last edited:

awf170

Nice pictures cbcbd, cool funky angles. I really can't get anything special though when I'm bouldering. Hopefully I'll be able to get some awesome shots at the acadia sea cliffs later this month. I'm going to give the camera another try thursday at Pawtuckaway. Bouldering freakin' rocks, screw ski season. I'm getting a 5.12 this year, and a v4.... hopefully .8) My stupid dad still got his v8 though, maybe someday.

Understand your point. Did you try any shots with the flash? With 2.8 as low as it goes I guess your stuck in this situation with the shaded light your subject was in. Any time of day the sun hits this spot?

I didn't try using the flash, didn't even think of it. Yeah, there is light on the cliff in the early morning, but I hate climbing with the sun on your back. I should probably get further back and get more of the surrounding scenery instead of just the cliff.

Irregardless I thought the pics you first posted came out great!

Thanks a lot.

i met austin's dad last year when i bumped into them at jay peak (more like austin calling out to me as i stepped off the tram. definitely a cool dude, i hope to be out there still ripping it up when i am that old and have kids. well, if i ever have kids that is, lol.

Hopefully next season my dad will be able to ski the glades with us more if me meet up again. This was pretty much his first season ever really skiing glades, and he improved a ton. BTW, he started downhill skiing at 40.

cbcbd

I'm getting a 5.12 this year, and a v4.... hopefully .8) My stupid dad still got his v8 though, maybe someday.
Damn, son... and father! I'm still trying for 5.10+s. Figured I'd get started leading since who knows when I'll get to a higher grade. Pinnacle was my 3rd and 4th lead. I know bouldering is all free from ropes and such... one with the rock and all... but you should try trad, it's a rush being on the sharp end of the rope ;)

And yeah... when rock season is over, then ice climbing season starts :D

Climb on, dude!

awf170

Damn, son... and father! I'm still trying for 5.10+s. Figured I'd get started leading since who knows when I'll get to a higher grade. Pinnacle was my 3rd and 4th lead. I know bouldering is all free from ropes and such... one with the rock and all... but you should try trad, it's a rush being on the sharp end of the rope ;)

I have only lead a few times before and they were on very easy climbs(5.8 and below) but it is very fun. Trad also looks very fun but I have never tried it yet. The problem is that my dad just doesn't have much time to go climbing so bouldering is the most bang for your buck. Two hours bouldering and you have a killer workout, any other form of climbing and you're just warming up. Hopefully I will be able to lead some stuff at Rumney this year. I get excited just thinking of rumney, so many amazing 5.10's.

And yeah... when rock season is over, then ice climbing season starts :D

Ice climbing looks like fun, but I have other priorities once the snow falls.:smile: Me and my were talking about going to SLC this year in april for about 1.5 weeks and splitting up the time between skiing and climbing, now that would be awesome. Skiing powder in the morning, climbing in a t-shirt in the afternoon.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...rrent=P7010086.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch11

awf170

Damn, son... and father! I'm still trying for 5.10+s.

Me too, but I want to set my goals high. I think the hardest thing I have down is a 5.10c and a v3. But that was two years ago, now I am stronger and taller. If I can average 2-3 days a week until oct. I think I should be there.

awf170

Went back to Den Rock today. Took more pictures. Found out that using the flash is the way to go. Though it kills the frame rate bringing it down to about .5 fps instead of 2.0 fps. Also, I am listening to "Eye of The Tiger" right now, awsome eh?
IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Also, I would like to add this picture. My dad has mad gorilla steeze. Park rats around the country would love to be able to get into that postition. They envy him.

IMG_0369.jpg