Sugarloaf - 5/1/2011 (May Day)

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sugarloaf - 5/1/2011 (May Day)

Date(s) Skied: 5/1/2011

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: Bluebird day; spring conditions - corn, cream cheese and mashed potatoes; Hi - 58, Lo - 32; wind - 0

Trip Report: Days like these are our reward for enduring January ski days when the temperature drops to -30 and the wind rips your face.

Snoseek, madpadraic and I carpooled and got to the Loaf at around 930. Defying his doctor's advice, wjenness met us there after driving from the River. We headed for the Superquad at around 10 and did a quick lap on Tote Road, which was very well covered in creamy corn snow. We then switched over to the soon-to-be-retired Spillway chair and hit White Nitro. Although there were patches that were skied off, the snow was smooth cream cheese. There were hero bumps all over. The Lombard ross cut had some bare ground showing through but it was definitely negotiable.

We returned to the base of the Superquad to meet up with BobR, maineskier69 and skiisleft (from the Sunday River community). We waited for BackLoafRiver and skimaine but missed them (next time, perhaps). We hit White Nitro again (including a short detour through the woods to get to Boomauger) then Gondi Line. The upper parts of the mountain were skiing very well. As the rest of the crew hit the Bag, skiisleft and I decided to hit Misery Whip -- the run of the day: nice hero bumps all the way. At the very bottom of Misery Whip was a short portage through a patch of grass. Otherwise, it was top to bottom skiing.

After a short break, we hit Misery Whip again then White Nitro then Sluice via Sluice Chute. When we returned to Spilway, a small crowd was gathering for the last chair up Spilway. There was an auction to sell the right to ride the last chair and I was pretty sure that the crowd was stoked. We headed down to the Superquad (via Broadway, which was creamy corn edge to edge) instead to lap that before 3:50 pm. The plan was to hit King's Landing. I took a wrong turn and ended up on the way to Tote Road. I saw a rope across Double Bitter and decided to hit that. Except for a huge patch of brown smack in the middle of the trail which required walking, it was hero bumps all the way to the end. It dumped me into Stomping Grounds where the terrain features and half a halfpipe were still skiable (just had to hit that). I met up with skiileft and madpadraic near the SQ but it was closed for the day so we headed to the Beach for beers and to listen to the Grateful Dead tribute band.

Anyone who was there would say it was a superb day at the Loaf. It was warm enough to ski in a t-shirt and the conditions were great. Great characters all around including a skier strumming a guitar while hitting Sluice! The upper mountain trails were skiing very well. Patches of ground were appearing in the usual mid-mountain spots but the trails heading to the lifts (Candyside and Broadway) were still well-covered but thinning. With Spillway gone, the SQ served trifecta of Skidder-Hayburner-King's Landing will come into play and they all look fat. Candyside will be key. It was starting to thin out and I predict that they may have to farm snow in the lower parts of the trail to make mid-May. Having said that, I've been to the Loaf in May before and this is way more cover than the past three years.

Go hit the Loaf! Enjoy the photos!

Looking up then down White Nitro:

Somewhere on lower Bubblecuffer:

Welcome back on snow, wjenness:

Part of the Loaf crew - BobR, snoseek, wjenness and skiisleft:

Two views of Gondi Line:

Madpadraic and skiisleft making their way down Spillway to the King Pine area:

The run of the day: Misery Whip

RIP Spillway:

Sluice looking fat:

The Loaf in the afternoon sun:
    Last edited by snowmonster; May 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Camera Sugarloaf 5/1/2011

Date(s) Skied:

May 1, 2011

Resort or Ski Area:

Sugarloaf

Conditions:

Spring Conditions.

Trip Report:

Blue bird skies, warm and no wind! The SuperQuad and Spillway East were the lifts running. This was the last day for Spillway East and I am thankful that Boyne ran it a week longer than planned.

Tote Road, Kings Landing, Hayburner and Candy Side were groomed out and provided lots of soft corn while everyone waited for the ungrounded to soften up. Between 10 and 11, folks started to venture onto Skidder, Comp Hill, Sluice and Spillway. Soon after the ropes dropped and there was corn harvesting all over the mountain.

I went as far east as Widow Maker. I had to do a little walking to get back to Lombard X-Cut, but it was well worth it. Ramdown as great as well. I passed on the huge bumps on Lower Nitro and Upper Gondi Line. Coverage on Nitro was unbelievable. I saw a few folks duck into some of the center mountain glades as well.

There were definitely some thin spots on the upper reaches of Sluice and Spillway. I do not think they will make it until next weekend, unless they push some snow around to create a way to reach the middle and lower sections that are very well covered. Coverage on Kings, Hayburner, Skidder and Narrow Gauge is impressive. Wall to wall and deep.

PICS:

Booter for MeatHead films.

Middle of Gondi Line. Took a digger in the vegetation sticking-out.

Looking down Gondi Line toward Mid-station x-cut

Kings Landing early in the day. Early turns were great surfing fun. It was like buttah!

Looking down the middle section of Narrow Gauge.

Peavy X-Cut near the bottom of Skidder. Pay attention to the signs!

Spillway.

Wedge (aka Lower White Nitro). It was steep and bumps big.

Looking up from the beach (beer in hand).

TANSTAAFL

Someone do some admin magic and combine the Sugarloaf trail reports!
    TANSTAAFL

Sorry I missed team AZ. I lost track of time while seeking nourishment at the Beach. BackLoafRiver did not make the trip (Epic Fail). He is super bummed.
    TANSTAAFL

SnowMonster - that is SkiisLEFT. Ugh..ugh...hope he doesn't see this Only wives are ever RIGHT

(ML here )

Looks absolutely outstanding! Was that Wayne's first day back on skis?
    Brian

Backloafriver did send me a pm of his plans. I got in this morning. I spend no time keeping in touch on the weekends. All face to face or maybe a text or two.

that guy in the short ripps.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimaine View Post
    Someone do some admin magic and combine the Sugarloaf trail reports!
    As requested.
    Brian

skimaine, we were looking forward to skiing with you. Next week perhaps!

SkiFanE, corrections done! I could never get their names right. Thanks!
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    SnowMonster - that is SkiisLEFT. Ugh..ugh...hope he doesn't see this Only wives are ever RIGHT

(ML here )
    Skiing is my addiction.

Thread Information