Weather Forum?

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Should we add a Weather Forum?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 65.91%
  • No

10 22.73%
  • Unsure

5 11.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather Forum?

Weather Forum?

What do you guys think about a Weather Forum? We've had one in the past and with all the weather threads popping up, it might be useful to try it again. I am trying to get one pro met on board to provide some real insight. It could be a good place for all the storm discussion threads too. What do you think? Please vote in the poll.

I ski double black diamonds.

I would like to have a 48 hour ski/board-barometer, or conditions-map or something graphical, organized by region, entirely based upon the "stick the nose out the window" forecasting method by AZ readers. It gives me a fast glance on where conditions look good, regardless of state lines, etc. It helps me decide quickly, rather than reading through tons of posts. If we don't have input, then there will be no data for that region.

It would be nice to be able to look in one place, at one map and see what's current, strictly from a skier's perspective. For example, I cobbled together a couple of clickable state maps, one shows NWS forecast, one shows webcams. http://www.iabsi.com/public/ski/toolbox.htm#cams Then I ran out of time.

I would limit the forecast to strictly events that would impact skier experience such as significant snowfall expectations, rain, ice, extremely high temperature rises/falls or high winds . The idea of forecasting with precision is ridiculous, at least from a skier's perspective.

I would also love to have a graphical chart showing current ski conditions, with a similar "reader input" criteria.
    Last edited by billski; Oct 29, 2007 at 9:09 AM.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    I would like to have a 48 hour ski/board-barometer, or conditions-map or something graphical, organized by region, entirely based upon the "stick the nose out the window" forecasting method by AZ readers. It gives me a fast glance on where conditions look good, regardless of state lines, etc. It helps me decide quickly, rather than reading through tons of posts. If we don't have input, then there will be no data for that region.
    I'll get Brian right on it.

Why did the people who voted 'no' vote that way? I'm just curious why people are against this.

For the record I voted 'unsure', because, well, I'm not sure it's needed or not..
    Brian

Since you asked....I voted no as I simply thought alot of folks who are posting a weather event will be torn between a weather sub-forum and the most popular, sub-forum skiing and riding, which I think it does belong as well. The line is way too gray for me between the two. Just my .02. I'm easy so whatever you guys do will be fine with me.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

" Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Why did the people who voted 'no' vote that way? I'm just curious why people are against this.
    I don't see the point in further sub-dividing the forums. Regular forum visitors likely don't search "new posts" so creating lots of additional forums makes it harder for casual visitors to see all the posts in a given subject. Makes no difference to me personally since I have "New Posts" set as my bookmark, so I see all new posts regardless of sub-forum. I just think breaking up forums can make things more confusing. Another non-skiing forum I browse recently added a ton of new categories and it inhibits discussion when regular forum visitors need to click through a dozen different forums.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

I voted "no" for primarily Steve's reasons. I don't see that there is enough volume in weather-specific banter, weather message strings tend to be rather prolonged, keeping the discussions intact and easily find-able, and they sometimes degenerate into whine-a-thons (me guilty of course) about how bad the forecasting is. Often when deciding where to go (I'm not a big advance planner), I look to all the variables as quickly as I can. Finding them in one forum, close chronological order browse is a good way to find them.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

I voted yes, however, "weather" seems too bourgeois. How about "conditions?"
    ~Rich~

A few other things to consider and discuss. Should this forum be its own forum like say Miscellaneous, or should it be a sub-forum under skiing? If we do proceed here, I would like this forum to be one about weather as it pertains to skiings for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A few other things to consider and discuss. Should this forum be its own forum like say Miscellaneous, or should it be a sub-forum under skiing? If we do proceed here, I would like this forum to be one about weather as it pertains to skiings for the most part.
    I think it should be its own forum.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

Thread Information