• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ green background

mondeo

Booo!! Keep the snowsliding uptop, if for no other reason than the mental cooling effect! :)

To me, it makes more sense when it gets this HOT outside, to move (or keep) the skiing and riding category at the top of the list, in an attempt to COOL things down! ;)
Well, they say great minds think alike.

But I'm not sure how to explain this one. :flame:

snowmonster

So considering it's 100 degrees, it's definitely time to move Biking & Hiking up the list :)

I'd rather you keep the order of the forums the way they are. Switching the order serves no purpose except to confuse people accustomed to logging on to the forums. Raising one above the other neither highlights nor downgrades the other. I value order and I hope that you will reconsider.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'd rather you keep the order of the forums the way they are. Switching the order serves no purpose except to confuse people accustomed to logging on to the forums. Raising one above the other neither highlights nor downgrades the other. I value order and I hope that you will reconsider.

I hear you but we get dozens of new visitors to the site everyday and in July the interest is on outdoor activities normally not snow-related. So it is a) part of tradition and b) prioritizes the topics on the site based on what is actually popular at that time.

Thanks for the feedback!

legalskier

I hear you but we get dozens of new visitors to the site everyday and in July the interest is on outdoor activities normally not snow-related. So it is a) part of tradition and b) prioritizes the topics on the site based on what is actually popular at that time.

And given the recent outpouring of support, it also would be popular to FREE GSS NOW!

:flag:

snowmonster

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, here are my thoughts:

a) new visitors - And so, us old posters can just go pound sand;

b) tradition - some traditions deserve to die. If tradition were used to justify everything, we would still be living under a monarch; and,

c) popularity - A true leader strives to be right. Not popular. And, if it indeed it were true that the non-snow related sections were more popular (even during the summer months), then why is it that after all these years the skiiing fora have a disproportionately larger number of both threads and posts than the hiking and biking sections?

Last edited:

gmcunni

my 2 cents - i don't care what order the forums are in. I click "NEW POSTS" as soon as i login and just read what's new.

gmcunni

and if it is about popularity then why the heck is "Announcements, Feedback and Help, Trips and Events" on top?!?!?!?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well, here are my thoughts:

a) new visitors - And so, us old posters can just go pound sand;

I didn't mean to imply that, at all. I only meant that you seasoned posters know what's going on :) new visitors might visit the site, see skiing up top, and leave because they don't know to scroll down to the summer activities. That's all.

b) tradition - some traditions deserve to die. If tradition were used to justify everything, we would still be living under a monarch; and,

I happen to think this tradition is a good one that is logical :)

Like putting your winter sweaters in a tupperware bin under the bed in the summer when you don't wear them 8)

c) popularity - A true leader strives to be right. Not popular. And, if it indeed it were true that the non-snow related sections were more popular (even during the summer months), then why is it that after all these years the skiiing fora have a disproportionately larger number of both threads and posts than the hiking and biking sections?

Well the site is eminently more popular in the winter, obviously. About 4 - 5x as much, based on analytics data. it's not like we shitcan the forum in the summer. They just move lower on the priority list next to skiing.

FWIW, I happen to think it makes sense and is right that hiking / biking takes precedence over skiing in the summer (and vice versa in the winter; obviously).

As I said I appreciate the concern and feedback. It definitely makes me think about it more. Maybe a possible option is to see if there is a way to adjust forum order based on style.. so you pick the winter theme and it organizes X-way and vice-versa. That might give the users the options to set it however they would like. I'll see if i can dig anything up.

bvibert

Staff member
You guys know that you can click on the
collapse_tcat.gif
button to the right of the sub-forum name to minimize that sub-forum if it's not one you're interested in looking at, right?

o3jeff

You guys know that you can click on the
collapse_tcat.gif
button to the right of the sub-forum name to minimize that sub-forum if it's not one you're interested in looking at, right?

It's not the same. Can you make it so we can grab each section with our mouse and put it where we want it?

bvibert

Staff member
It's not the same. Can you make it so we can grab each section with our mouse and put it where we want it?

Could I? Probably, if it were my site, and had any inclination to put that much effort into it. I don't think such a change would be trivial.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
We are somewhat limited by VBulletin. I'm not sure what options exist for forum re-order. What you are talking about is some AJAX work... definitely not trivial in the VBulletin system.

Gonna look around, I've been considering upgrading to VBulletin 4 but there are some other options out there too like Infinity Power Board, etc.

I'm planning on setting up a "test site" this summer where some peeps can try out some changes and see if they work as expected prior to actually implementing them on the site.