• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

5/7/2011 - Holyoke Range, Amherst MA

MR. evil

My bud Murph and I headed out with the Pioneer Valley Nemba crew on their weekly Sat morning ride at the Holyoke Range. We knew the ride was going to be climbing intensive as the plan was to hit the Earl's trails side for most of the ride, then dip over to Batchelor street for some techy riding as time and legs allowed. We started from the Notch visitors center, crossed rt 116 and headed over to Earls. Earls is the exact opposite of B-street, smooth, tight, float single track with a ton of climbing. Right from the get go we were climbing, and according to my bike computer we climbed for the better part of the next 3 miles all the was up to the top of Tinker Hill. It really sucked. Had a well deserved break and blasted a sweet DH that was about 1.5 miles long. Followed by slot more climbing back out to the visitors center where some of the group had to split.
At this point we had ridden 6.5 miles with just under a 1000 feet of vert. Said good bye to 1/2 the group and headed over to Batchelor street to ride some techy chunk. This was a bad idea as I was really spent. I had a really rough time! We did another 3.5 miles on this side with 350 ish feet of vert.

Ride stats
9.98 miles
1358 feet of vert

MR. evil

Please forgive all the typos, posted this from my phone

o3jeff

How did the 28 tooth ring work, sounds like it is more the rider now! You need to get out and ride more!

Going to make it a point to ride up there soon.

MR. evil

How did the 28 tooth ring work, sounds like it is more the rider now! You need to get out and ride more!

Going to make it a point to ride up there soon.

The 28t setup worked really well. The first part of the ride was just killer. Just the type of ride I needed.

There is a guided NEMBA ride there every Saturday at 9:00am.