• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-Basin 5/11

mrksn

A-Basin 5/11-20

Date(s) Skied: 5/11
Resort or Ski Area: Arapahoe Basin, Summit County, CO
Conditions: Powder/Spring
Trip Report: Skiing here til next Friday, whiteout conditions as light snow fell all day. 10" when I arrived at 11 on top of spring conditions.. knee deep stashes

Round trip air Philly to Denver.. $280

'10-'11 A-Basin Bonus Pass.. $359

Powder day in May.. Priceless
vlcsnap-2011-05-11-21h57m55s57.JPG

Last edited:

speden

Quite a difference from the east coast. :)

Looks like you'll be hitting some warmer weather for the rest of your trip.

snoseek

Nice! One of my very best days ever in Colorado was in early may at Loveland in 07, very deep and light. That pass is a killer deal. A few years they released the spring version of it for 199. Is Breck still open?

mrksn

Quite a difference from the east coast. :)

Looks like you'll be hitting some warmer weather for the rest of your trip.

Yes, we have high of mid 50's beginning tomorrow but I brought my suntan lotion and hawaiian shirt for the beach. :wink:

mrksn

Nice! One of my very best days ever in Colorado was in early may at Loveland in 07, very deep and light. That pass is a killer deal. A few years they released the spring version of it for 199. Is Breck still open?

Loveland closed last Sunday I believe.. they are on my to-ski list, maybe next year. I picked up a couple of hitchhikers skiing loveland pass on the way to a-basin, always nice to lend a helping hand but it was a white knuckle drive towards the top where my rental Ford Focus struggled to move in the slushy road snow.

Breck is closed along with all CO resorts as of last Sunday, its completely dead here in the Keystone/Dillon area. I did think abt Snowbird or Squaw but they only have wknd operations this month, I def lucked out with this last storm.

snoseek

Yes, we have high of mid 50's beginning tomorrow but I brought my suntan lotion and hawaiian shirt for the beach. :wink:

I predict one day of transitional weirdness and then it's gonna be all time! Man I'm so jealous!

jimmywilson69

how did the Pali ski? I was there April 4th and they had received 9' overnight. It was awesome. I lapped the pali until I couldn't ski anymore. Since it was a monday we were parked right on the beach.

Will you be hitting the east wall? I believe it's still open, which is amazing. Unfortunately it wasn't open the day we were there, because of avalanch danger.

bigbog

You're just making life in the 65deg range, up here in northern NewEngland(Maine)...so enjoyable mrksn!..:uzi:
Believe it or not there are still many patches of snow in the deeper portions of woods...but only go for ~20' or so...

Next season!

mrksn

how did the Pali ski? I was there April 4th and they had received 9' overnight. It was awesome. I lapped the pali until I couldn't ski anymore. Since it was a monday we were parked right on the beach.

Will you be hitting the east wall? I believe it's still open, which is amazing. Unfortunately it wasn't open the day we were there, because of avalanch danger.

Haven't hit Pali yet but plan to. I did the Pali face once in March and it kicked my butt. I've parked on the beach before, so convenient to ski right out of your trunk to the Pali lift.

I hit the east wall today as they opened it up after two days of snow so got another day of freshies. The traverse was pretty backed up so I only got one run in it.

jimmywilson69

Nice, glad you got to hit the East wall. I've been skunked both times I was out there. when you get over to the Pali, hit the waterfall which I think is also called west alley, good stuff there.

mrksn

Date(s) Skied: 5/12
Resort or Ski Area: A-Basin
Conditions: Powder/Spring 6" new
Trip Report: Thursday was a carbon copy of Wednesday as light snow fell all day and visibility was poor. Met a local who I rode with and hit some knee-deep stashes and a face shot!

Date(s) Skied: 5/13
Resort or Ski Area: A-Basin
Conditions: PP/Spring bluebird day 4" new
Trip Report: Friday was great in the morning as I had 3rd chair at the base, 1st Lenawee, 1st Zuma. Hit up the bowl first thing and got some fresh turns in and ripped some groomers. Had 1 run off the cornice but waited too late as it was heavy from the high sun exposure. Back to the front side where they opened the east wall and had 1 run there in about 5" fresh. Got considerably warmer (ppl in t's, shorts, one dude with no shirt at all!) and left at 2. Goggle tan and sunburnt nose achieved in 4 hrs.

My turns on the upper left!
DSC02904.JPG

View from Goat Traverse
DSC02913.JPG

mrksn

You're just making life in the 65deg range, up here in northern NewEngland(Maine)...so enjoyable mrksn!..:uzi:
Believe it or not there are still many patches of snow in the deeper portions of woods...but only go for ~20' or so...

Next season!

It definitely got above 60 here in the sun today!

jimmywilson69

his last picture is actually in Montezuma bowl and that is the zuma quad lift. I believe those slopes are Max, durannce and griswold in no particular order. They are steep and fun to ski.

mrksn

Yeah, its been snowing since Wed morning so spring powder was had for the second straight day with more on the way Fri-Sat.. this snow gets heavy in the afternoon but the weather has been pretty crazy. Little squalls followed by abt 15 min of sun then another mini shower then sleet.. I'll have more pics up later