• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wright, Algonquin Peak, Iroquois ADKs

highpeaksdrifter

Date Hiked: 8/16

Trails(s) Hiked: Wright, Algonquin Peak, Iroquois ADKs

Total Distance
: ~about 12.6

Difficulty
: difficult, for me anyway

Conditions: Mostly cloudy, dry

Special Required Equipment: None

We started from the Adirondack Loj and headed up the Algonquin Trail. After about 3 miles there is a turn off to Wright, it’s only about a ½ mile or so each way. I really enjoyed this summit, uncrowded with nice views. Here is a picture of Algonquin from Wright.

100_1730.jpg

We came back down the Wright Trail and continued up the Algonquin Trail which is quite steep and about another mile, about half of which is above tree line in an Artic-Alpine Zone which is just beautiful. Our first trip up was kinda crowded on top, otherwise the summit was just great with fantastic views.

Looking back at Wright headed toward Algonquin Summit
100_1742.jpg

Whiteface from Algonquin
ALq_WF.jpg

Next we headed for Iroquois which as you see from the below picture looks like a nice easy hike of a mile each way, but looks can be deceiving.

100_1736.jpg

When you’re hiking on the granite slabs it’s great, but twice on the hike over you descend into thick vegetation on an unmarked trail that is about a foot wide in parts. You get scrapped from both sides and there was mud that came over my ankles. To get to the summit you have to scramble up two rock faces. It was worth the effort as we had the summit to ourselves with again beautiful views. This was my favorite summit.

Colden from Iroquois
100_1746.jpg

Colden from Iroquois
100_1743.jpg

We came back the way we went in and when we broke out of the Iroquois trail and headed back up Algonquin I was very happy. It was 4:00 when we reached its summit for the second time. No when was there but us and 2 mountain stewards and the sun had just come out. We hung out there for about 20 minutes then started the long hike back down to the Loj.

Alpine Atric Zone pixs:
100_1748.jpg

100_1747.jpg

At the end I had blisters on my feet (new boots) and my knees where killing me, but I was very happy with the day. It was twice as far as I’ve ever hiked before, we knocked off 3 high peaks, and I really enjoyed being in the Alpine Artic Zones on each peak. All in all it was a fantastic day.

Greg

Staff member
The ADK high peaks are simply rad. I gotta get back up there...

Mike P.

Doing those three peaks are a classic, Wrights & Algonquin are great even without Iroquois. Did same three peaks a couple of years ago, that last bit up to the summit on Iroquois is quite tricky, IMO similar but harder than the ledge on Bondcliff that NH hikers talk about. I descended to the Lakes & went back thru Avalanche Pass, I was thrilled to see Marcy Pond that day knowing the rest was smooth sailing.

Thanks for the pictures. I have about the same Algonquin picture from my first trip up Wrights & couldn't figure out which peak it was. (last time it was cloudy on Wrights & the sun broke out while climbing Algonquin.