• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stark Mtn, Mt. Ellen, Cutts Peak, Nancy Hanks Peak, Lincoln Peak, 08/12

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Date Hiked: 8/12

Trails(s) Hiked: Long Trail from Appalachian Gap to Lincoln Peak

Total Distance: ~15-17 miles including deviations, ~4,800' total vertical

Difficulty: Very difficult

Conditions: Partly cloudy sky, muddy/rocky trail

Special Required Equipment: None

I started late (10 am) and hiked the Long Trail from the Appalachian Gap to Lincoln Peak (arrived there at 1:41).

Ended up being a much longer hike than I had anticipated due to the large variation between the trail route on the topographical map and in reality. Nonetheless a nice hike.

thetrailboss

Staff member
:blink: Wow...it took you that long? I did it in the Fall of 2000 during a rain storm and we started about 9am and got done about 6 or so...but we went from Lincoln Gap to App Gap and we moved along pretty well. I don't recall the hike being too difficult, distance aside...there was some climbing to get up Ellen and to get up Abe, but it was pretty level otherwise...

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
The return part of the hike was what took the longest...3:41 from Appalachian Gap to Lincoln Peak, about 4:30 back. According to the signs its about 8.2 miles each way.

What I found challenging was the ascent/descent from App Gap to the Mad River summit (while there are two ladders, there are a few more parts that could have used some...also the balance beams over mud spots) as well as the descent before Mt. Ellen (again, rocky, hard to get footing, as well as lots of mud) and the total distance of it all (I did the ascent without breaks, had a short lunch break at Lincoln Peak, and stopped three times for about 1-2 minutes each on the way back to let my knees recover).

thetrailboss

Staff member
The return part of the hike was what took the longest...3:41 from Appalachian Gap to Lincoln Peak, about 4:30 back. According to the signs its about 8.2 miles each way.

What I found challenging was the ascent/descent from App Gap to the Mad River summit (while there are two ladders, there are a few more parts that could have used some...also the balance beams over mud spots) as well as the descent before Mt. Ellen (again, rocky, hard to get footing, as well as lots of mud) and the total distance of it all (I did the ascent without breaks, had a short lunch break at Lincoln Peak, and stopped three times for about 1-2 minutes each on the way back to let my knees recover).

WHOA! You didn't do it end-to-end but rather down and back out? :eek: That is a VERY long day! I bet you wished that you did have a second car....

Anyways, that is a nice stretch of trail with some nice views. The ski areas kind of sully the experience, but then again, there would be NO VIEW on Ellen if there was no ski trail...well, I highly doubt it at least. However, to see Ellen from Stark makes you realize HOW ugly it really is and how much has been clear cut.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Ya its definitely an interesting contrast between what's cut and what's not. If it weren't for the ski areas, there would be very few views (about 5 scenic vistas). I like the current balance - would hate to see expansion into the Slidebrook Basin at this point - but I must say the most boring part of the hike is between Mt. Ellen and Castlerock (no views until you get to the ski area summits).

selski

Stark to Abe was my first real hike a bunch of years ago. If I remember correctly it took us about 7 hours with some resting and sightseeing on the peaks. I could be off though, a lot of years have passed since. I had never done anything like that before and went in with no idea what to expect. It turned out to be a great experience. I guess you always remember your first time.