• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Daypack Advice

BeanoNYC

I'm in the market for a decent daypack that I can use for hikes, skiing (If absolutely necessary) and short trips where a change of clothes is needed. It would be nice if it had a sleeve inside for a water bladder with an opening for the tube. It would also be nice if it had a removable or stow-away hip belt. Am I asking too much? Suggestions? I think SkiDork and Tyrolean both wear packs when skiing. I'm not looking for a backcountry pack that carry skis. :idea:

awf170

Me and my wife both got Dakines, they pretty much fit you're requirements. We got them on www.steepandcheap.com which has backpacks quite often. The following is a link for a description of the one I have, although I got a different color. http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/outle...sku/81006007/Dakine_Heli_Pro_Pack___Large.htm

Yeah, me too. Any one the Dakine "heli" packs are nice. They are also quite cheap, have plenty of room, and are pretty flat so that you can ride lifts with ease. I have the heli II which is slightly bigger and has more features. I actually used it going up Tucks and GoS, while it was probably a little small, it worked.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have been enjoying my new Kelty Redwing, but it may be too big for what you need. It is very supportive for hiking and has enough room for a day and a half or so...

SkiDog

If you are looking for a pack for "hiking" primarily i'd stay AWAY from the Dakine Heli packs or lthe like. They are VERY skiing specific and are designed with "heavy clothing" in mind. They (at least mine) get VERY hot in the back...go for something day hiking specific.. The Kelty Redwing is a nice pack..I think they are pricey, but they do have the bladder sleeve and port and can more than handle a day trp..

My best suggestion is to checkout Sierra trading post. I just picked up a sweet Lowe Alpine daypack from them for like $50 and its terrific. It actually sits off my back in the mid section with a "frame" so that air can easily pass through...very ingenious..they have LOTS of Lowe daypacks even cheaper...Go to the Clearance section..

Here..this contour air daypack might work..and RIGHT PRICE..

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/b/313_Daypacks.html

M

P.S. Im what i'd refer to as a "pack rat" I think I have 5 packs or varying sizes and brands and 3-4 hydration packs..I'm always looking for that "perfect fit"

bvibert

Staff member
If you are looking for a pack for "hiking" primarily i'd stay AWAY from the Dakine Heli packs or lthe like. They are VERY skiing specific and are designed with "heavy clothing" in mind. They (at least mine) get VERY hot in the back...go for something day hiking specific..

I agree. I also have a Dakine Heli Pro and it's pretty warm against the back in the summer. There's not much ventilation back there.

BeanoNYC

If you are looking for a pack for "hiking" primarily i'd stay AWAY from the Dakine Heli packs or lthe like. They are VERY skiing specific and are designed with "heavy clothing" in mind. They (at least mine) get VERY hot in the back...go for something day hiking specific.. The Kelty Redwing is a nice pack..I think they are pricey, but they do have the bladder sleeve and port and can more than handle a day trp..

My best suggestion is to checkout Sierra trading post. I just picked up a sweet Lowe Alpine daypack from them for like $50 and its terrific. It actually sits off my back in the mid section with a "frame" so that air can easily pass through...very ingenious..they have LOTS of Lowe daypacks even cheaper...Go to the Clearance section..

Here..this contour air daypack might work..and RIGHT PRICE..

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/b/313_Daypacks.html

M

P.S. Im what i'd refer to as a "pack rat" I think I have 5 packs or varying sizes and brands and 3-4 hydration packs..I'm always looking for that "perfect fit"

Wow, that Lowe looks real good. Two questions as I would be purchasing online and I usually like to inspect these types of things.

1) Would this small external frame be ok for lifts if I need one for a day of skiing. (Like I've said before, I really don't want it for skiing but it would be nice to have multi-use if I have a lot to carry one day....)

2) I bike a lot to local hikes here in NYC (Yes we have places to hike and greenways to bike to them) How would this be while riding on a bike.

Sorry for the specific questions, but these things are important to me.

SkiDog

Wow, that Lowe looks real good. Two questions as I would be purchasing online and I usually like to inspect these types of things.

1) Would this small external frame be ok for lifts if I need one for a day of skiing. (Like I've said before, I really don't want it for skiing but it would be nice to have multi-use if I have a lot to carry one day....)

2) I bike a lot to local hikes here in NYC (Yes we have places to hike and greenways to bike to them) How would this be while riding on a bike.

Sorry for the specific questions, but these things are important to me.

That Lowe is nice..and I believe just over 1000CU IN...should be fine for biking....

I dont know though if that would be able to "carry skis" I dont know if thats what you're looking for? Maybe you just want it for around the resort for the day..if the latter is the case that Lowe pack would fit the bill perfectly, and the "external frame" you wont notice..its jsut there to keep the pack off your back..its not an EXTERNAL FRAME pack thats for sure (id go with the Alpine countour daypack 25..its roughly 15000 CU IN shoud be FINE for your purposes).

Let me know if I can answer anything else..

M

BeanoNYC

That Lowe is nice..and I believe just over 1000CU IN...should be fine for biking....

I dont know though if that would be able to "carry skis" I dont know if thats what you're looking for? Maybe you just want it for around the resort for the day..if the latter is the case that Lowe pack would fit the bill perfectly, and the "external frame" you wont notice..its jsut there to keep the pack off your back..its not an EXTERNAL FRAME pack thats for sure (id go with the Alpine countour daypack 25..its roughly 15000 CU IN shoud be FINE for your purposes).

Let me know if I can answer anything else..

M

Nope I don't want it to carry skis. This looks great...thanks!

SkiDog

Nope I don't want it to carry skis. This looks great...thanks!

I think you'll be very happy with it. I am very pleased with my Lowe pack. Unfortunately they didn't still have the one I have when I went searching for you this morning...Mine is just slightly bigger in CU IN and extra pockets.."Big day" trip or "tight" overnighter...but the suspension system is the same with the AIR FLOW back design...it is VERY VENTILATED and nice...

enjoy.

M

BeanoNYC

I think you'll be very happy with it. I am very pleased with my Lowe pack. Unfortunately they didn't still have the one I have when I went searching for you this morning...Mine is just slightly bigger in CU IN and extra pockets.."Big day" trip or "tight" overnighter...but the suspension system is the same with the AIR FLOW back design...it is VERY VENTILATED and nice...

enjoy.

M

You have the 1500 ci or 2100 ci?

SkiDog

You have the 1500 ci or 2100 ci?

I actually have a different model altogether...called the cirque air 35 (i think its about 1650 CU IN)...but it wasnt on thier site..unless you need all kinds of pockets the one we've been discussing is a GREAT choice.. and for under $50 cant beat that.

M

SkiDog

Not sure if it's what you want, but backpack going quick on steep and cheap

Again...that is "ski sport" specific, and that one in particular is SNOWBOARD specific..(good pack by the way..rated VERTY highly). I believe this pack would be VERY HOT in the summer months.

M

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Again...that is "ski sport" specific, and that one in particular is SNOWBOARD specific..(good pack by the way..rated VERTY highly). I believe this pack would be VERY HOT in the summer months.

M

No, actually it's snowboard specific :) I put it out there just in case there was an interest. It does look like a nice deal. I'm tempted myself, but got plenty of backpacks.

SkiDog

No, actually it's snowboard specific :) I put it out there just in case there was an interest. It does look like a nice deal. I'm tempted myself, but got plenty of backpacks.

Ummm kind SIR please re-read my original post..it does CLEARLY state...its SNOWBOARD specific...

Thank you VERY much..Ha

;-)

M