• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you drink when hiking

MARI

what do you drink?

OK, well, naturally, I drink mostly water. Though sometimes I develop a huge craving for a Mikes Lemonade on top of a summit, and I've been known to pack one along. After its all said and done, I go for red wine - Merlot- and a huge steak.

MtnMagic

At home and on the way to a hike I drink a liter (33.6 oz) of water and 3-4 liters each day. This year I also drink Propel. Backpacking, or on big hikes, I now drink 'Body for Life' a 190 calorie shake with more vitamins in it than most energy bars have. This costs a mere $2 for 4 11oz aluminium cartons at Ocean State Job Lot which just opened North of Lancaster in Northumberland. Btw, 4 22 ox bottles of Propel are just $1 and great trekking poles only $10 each. Fleece sweaters are $10. There are many items hikers and backpackers will find to be perfect and at very low prices.

selski

Hammer gel is great stuff. It can be mixed with water or eaten straight up with a water chaser. Hammer nutrition also makes a powder called Heed which is like the gel but adds electrolytes. Very light taste. All of the products they make use no simple sugars so there is no crash. You can find them at www.e-caps.com. They are a great company and send samples of other products every time you order. I use their products while skiing as well. A buddy of mine who is a competitive bike racer turned me on to them.

Mike P.

Just water, even in winter my warm drink is just hot water. (Okay I'm lazy, it's easier to clean the bottles/thermos after water)

If hiking past a hut or on Washington, I'll have a glass of lemonade but I don't pack it.

mochilero

Water mostly, but occassionally I bring my own "sports drink" concoction. Just mix sugar, salt, and "no-salt" (Potasium chloride) with kool aid. Experiment with proportions a bit to get it to taste okay.

Jonni

Water and some form of Kool Aid or Gatorade for me. I have a reservior in my pack as well as a Nalgene. Does anyone have a good way to store a Camelbak water reservoir when not in use (i.e. over the winter) so that mold doesn't develop?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Depending upon the hike, usually a 16 oz bottle of water suffices for me, though for longer ones I'll bring 2-3 bottles of water and/or a gatorade/powerade for the last leg. I did Watatic, Pack Monadnock, and Temple on 12 oz. total. I find that if I hydrate ahead of time and am in shape enough, I don't need to consume much water at all.

SkiDog

Water and some form of Kool Aid or Gatorade for me. I have a reservior in my pack as well as a Nalgene. Does anyone have a good way to store a Camelbak water reservoir when not in use (i.e. over the winter) so that mold doesn't develop?

Just hang it upside down and opened......let it DRY COMPLETELY........you could always store it with liquid IN IT...just make it a light bleach solution.

I also recently found a way to remove that "camelback" taste that seems to follow that brands full lineup....break apart (crush) a 500MG vitamin C tablet...disolve it into the camelback with wamr water and let sit for a day or so...wash and rinse...never tasted anything but the non taste of water from then on..

I only use Nalgene bladders anymore..I think they are easier and no taste..

M