• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you drink when hiking

zook

I mostly drink water. However, during one of my summer hikes - on a very hot and very humid day - it didn't seem to work as well and I could not stop feeling thirsty. The fact that I've been sick just a few days earlier probably had something to do with that as well...

Anyway - what do you drink when hiking and does weather have any influence on what type of drink you take on your hike?

Greg

Staff member
Water. If backpacking or basecamping, I usually bring along powdered drinks like Kool-Aid. I usually try to drink several quarts while hanging at camp.

skibum9995

I drink water and lots of it. On really hot days I'll take along a packet of powdered drink mix but I usually just eat the powder instead of mixing it.

SkiDog

i drink water and I also use gatorade powder. I mix it in a nalgene..works GREAT for recovery..

M

cbcbd

Water and only on really hot and long hikes some Gatorade powder mix.

Otherwise I can get by licking the sweat off my lips to restore my lost salts ;)

wintersyndrome

nothing helps you roll to the bottom of the trails quicker than rum and vodka in large quantities :dunce:

seriouslly i would normally drink water, its cheap, and if there is a spring near by its free off of Giant ledge in the catskills I found a nice spring near the top ridegeline, no-one had the runs afterwards so I assume spring fed water is still safe, though it has been a few years since my last ascent (Pharoah Mtn in the catskills '02)

ChileMass

I think it was the Trailboss who recommended Vitamin Water, so I tried the citrus/guarana flavor going up Washington and it was terrific. Bought another one for my last hike, and liked it just as much. It has just a little extra ooomph - you can really feel it when you drink it. Highly recommended.

Greg

Staff member
I think it was the Trailboss who recommended Vitamin Water, so I tried the citrus/guarana flavor going up Washington and it was terrific. Bought another one for my last hike, and liked it just as much. It has just a little extra ooomph - you can really feel it when you drink it. Highly recommended.

All this tech foodstuff - energy gels, vitamin water. Back in the day (not backpacking or hiking as much as I used to), we would simply drink water and pop a vitamin tablet or two. I'd get my sodium from the Mountain House stews or from salted peanuts or other snacks. We'd drink a ton of Kool-Aid at camp, usually generic grapeade! :)

SkiDog

I also usually drink a full 32oz nalgene of gatorade before every hike no matter its distance..

Hey isnt there someone here who does the red dot to blue dot trail at Delaware Water Gap?? Sorry off topic...

M

zook

Hey isnt there someone here who does the red dot to blue dot trail at Delaware Water Gap?? Sorry off topic...

M

Do you mean the Mt. Tammany trail to Indian Head off of I-80? I've done it couple of times. As a matter of fact I'll be hiking Mt. Tammany or Mt Minsi (across the river in PA) this Sunday.

zook

Thanks everyone for your input.

I used to drink only water, but that one day was really tought so I was wondering if there was some better solution for those extremaly hot days. I was a bit sceptical about all those energy drinks.

I might give that Vitamin water a try - thanks for the tip. It might come in handy for the Labor Day weekend in White Mountains ;)

Also, anyone here has heard of "zippfizz"? One of my friends has recommended it.

SkiDog

Do you mean the Mt. Tammany trail to Indian Head off of I-80? I've done it couple of times. As a matter of fact I'll be hiking Mt. Tammany or Mt Minsi (across the river in PA) this Sunday.

you got it.....I do it maybe once every other week..I think this week will be a quick Sunfish pond...likely sat though...although if doing tammany I might be willing to do that sunday as well...

Any idea what you think your time was on Tammany? Its like a 4 mile loop...last time I did it I thought I went really fast, but I usually cant guage that crap..

Let me know if youre doing tammany this sunday, and what time, maybe we can do it together??

M

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
SkiDog said:
Hey isnt there someone here who does the red dot to blue dot trail at Delaware Water Gap?? Sorry off topic....
M

That would be me, did it this past Sunday with my wife.

Maybe we'll see you there :)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I usually drink water, but often my electrolytes will tumble anyway. I now carry a couple packets of Emergen-C, which comes in all sorts of flavors. It's good stuff, the sugars and salts perk me right up, and unlike Gatorade powder, which I used to carry, it doesn't bother my stomach.

Sorry if that sounds like an ad - it's just a recommendation! :)

SkiDog

That would be me, did it this past Sunday with my wife.

Any idea on the time it takes you...??? Like I said..just thought I did it exteremly fast last time...and wanted a guage..

Thanks

M

P.S. I did it saturday... :D

ChileMass

All this tech foodstuff - energy gels, vitamin water. Back in the day (not backpacking or hiking as much as I used to), we would simply drink water and pop a vitamin tablet or two. I'd get my sodium from the Mountain House stews or from salted peanuts or other snacks. We'd drink a ton of Kool-Aid at camp, usually generic grapeade! :)

And who's an old fart - ??? ;)

zook

Andyzee - I'm leaning more towards Mt. Minsi at this point, but haven't decided yet. What time are you plannin to be there?

Sunday afternoon we are having a picnic in the area - I think the place is called Watergate? (~11th mile on the Old Mine Rd from I-80). It's the Polish Student Organization picnic, but don't be thrown off with the "Student" part of it ;) Stop by if you have some time - we'll have BBQ and volleyball "tournament". Ask for Agata if you do come