• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gnarliest trails

gwags

Lots of talk about what are the steeper/scarier parts of trails in the NE on the Whiteface/Passaconaway thread.

What are people's votes?

I have done Katahdin (only in fall) and No. Tripyramid slide in winter and many others, but I think that the west side of Saddleback in the Adirondacks is sketchier than those, although none are really scary without snow/ice. That I can think of, it's my vote.

Greg

Staff member
Six Husband's always seems to get mentioned as a very difficult trail. I've descended it several times, and only under dry conditions in the summer, but didn't find it to be that difficult. Madison Gulf has a few steep sections where long stretches are required. Never done Huntington Ravine.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Hunginton... Madison Gulf, as Greg said.

The Abol on Khatahdin, Trypyramid like you said... Great Gulf Trail puts the G in gnar, not nearly as much use as some others have.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I had a few moments on the Coe slide where I felt like I wasn't going to be able to take another step without slipping. It's the smooth slabs that bother me, the rough or talus stuff (S. Slide Tripyramid, Owl's Head) I enjoy.

sledhaulingmedic

Several routes in Madison Gulf

Tripyramids have been a while (maybe they're worse than I remember).

I also recall a trail on the East (maybe Northeast) side of Mooselauke, perhaps from Kinsman Notch. I think it was part of the AT. I recall being on there a little too late in the day... (and it was wet:blink: )

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I also recall a trail on the East (maybe Northeast) side of Mooselauke, perhaps from Kinsman Notch. I think it was part of the AT. I recall being on there a little too late in the day... (and it was wet:blink: )

That's Beaver Brook, I was just up it this weekend. It's steep, but nothing like the slide or headwall trails.

Any list would include Huntington, King Ravine, Great Gully, Great Gulf, Six Husbands, North Tripyramid, Chemin de Dames, Castle Ravine, Madison Gulf, and Sphinx.

-dave-

Mike P.

Don't have much experience in the Great Gulf or King Ravine yet I'd agree with Dave's list for NH. Some trails have interesting spots on the Osceola trail in the Chimney, my guess is that more casual hikers take the detour.

In ADK's you have to include the Trap Dike on Colden, I did the Great Range 11 years ago & thought Saddleback would be worse if you were 5'9" or shorter, descending it after a night of rain was okay in July.

Knife's Edge if wet & windy (in those conditions many I guess would apply) I have not done Cathedral on Katahdin but they have had a few fatalities on the trail I'm thinking that should be on the list too. I've slipped & slid about 15-20 feet on those wet slabs on the Coe slide before, I'll vouch for those, it wasn't even raining. Luckily my pack took some of the landing & the spot I stopped at was not too hard.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The Osceola chimney I found *easier* than the bypass. And a lot more fun, too. I felt perfectly safe the whole time - with tons of handholds, it was like going up a jungle gym.

The winter's a different story. That chimney gets filled with an ice flow (floe?) and you have to take the bypass, and I slipped and fell down it last winter. There wasn't enough snow coverage for crampons, but enough to make it a slippy-slide.

In a month I'll be trying out the Link Trail. We'll see if it lives up to its reputation.
:)

ChileMass

The Link is supposed to be really rough betwen the Caps Ridge Trail and the Castles. Better north of that according to the big book. I'll be interested in your assessment.....

Mike P.

Michael, I have not heard that the Link is not tough (steep, exposed) but tedious & root infested so that it is not enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure Farmer Bob has been on it & maybe Dave M. also.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
The Link from Castle Ravine to Caps Ridge, Cornice from Castilated to Caps, and, um, what's that bypass around Madison that takes you over to Osgood Ridge? Those three trails will chew you up and spit you out. Very rough on the body, no descertable footbed, lots of roots in the wooded sections, rocks on all sections.

But no exposure. Enjoy. :blink:

-dave-

Mike P.

I believe that is the Parapet that goes around the Madison (& GG) Gulf side of Madison to bypass the Madison summit, can't see the view being better than the one from the top.

There is also the upper section of Pine Link that goes around Madison on the other side that in places (like near jct. with Watson Path) is nice but I understand it's a mass of rocks (okay it is the Northern Presidentials) but as long as the weather is not bad, going over Madison is easier than going around it.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Well you can walk around the backside, but going up the front it is a mix of rock climbing, and hiking. I feel safe without ropes and I think most people would. It is an awesome little hike!

feldmrschl

Website
www.kenware.com
I see the usual suspects got mentioned. The trickiest trail experience for me was going up Flume Slide in autumn after a previous day of rain. The rock face was covered with wet, slick leaves. Beautiful to look at. Treacherous to climb.